Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Can't get Minki Yoyos to work - help please!

(9 Posts)
BashfulSleepyHappy Fri 12-Sep-08 21:34:59

I've just got my 3yo DD1 some Minki yoyos for night-time, since she's grown out of all her 2-parters and wanted to get her something she can take off herself. They seems like a good system but we've just had endless leaks. It just seems to me that there's too big a gap around the legs, and perhaps the thick fleece inner stops the wee soaking through to the inside quickly enough so it runs out the side. Has anyone got them to work well? What do you recommend stuffing them with? We've tried a big pile of terry boosters, which looked too thick, and ended up with a folded terry square. Any other tips to make the yoyos work for night time? I've heard good reviews of them as a night-time nappy for toddlers, so I must be going wrong somewhere, or my little girl is an odd shape!

Yanda Fri 12-Sep-08 21:53:04

Will watch with interest as thinking of getting these now that DD is out of daytime nappies. How many did you get for night time use?

LackaDAISYcal Fri 12-Sep-08 21:58:13

Is the fit right? I've found the age/weight range with some nappies doesn't mean a lot and you need to go on the dimensions of the rise, thighs and waist to ensure a snug fit.

BigBadMousey Sat 13-Sep-08 09:41:03

What size are you using - unless she is huge she should be in a Large as the sizing is quite generous? Is it the standard or slinki and what shape is your DD?

You could be over-stuffing them as that causes leaks. Do you have a bamboo terry square you could try? They make far better night boosters inside pockets as they are thinner, more flexible and more absorbant. The slinki minki shouldn't be stuffed with anything too bulky though and work best with GAD hemp inserts IME. The fleece inner shouldn't stop the wee soaking through quickly enough.

It could just be that the cut doesn't suit your DD. Minkis don't suit my long thin DD2 at all and I ended up using the lollipop fleece pocket at night for her (with a bamboo terry) with much more success. They are much cheaper but you can't pull them up and down. If you decided to give up and go for something else (hopefully it won't come to that) then the Toddlerease would be a good option (but would require a wrap).

BashfulSleepyHappy Sat 13-Sep-08 19:24:03

Yanda - I got 3 cos DD2 is 6mo and still in full-time nappies so I'm doing a nappy wash every 3 days, and being fleece, the yoyos should dry very quickly. I'll keep you posted on how it goes...

LacksaDAISYcal - I got her the extra large to start with, going on age, but they were WAY too big so I swapped for large. They seem a better fit but get very bulky when stuffed.

BBM - like I said, she's in a large. She's quite chunky, but they seem a good fit otherwise. I don't have a bamboo terry but I do have lots of microfibre boosters. I'll try one of them tonight. Looks like thinner stuffing might be the way to go.

Thanks for the suggestions!

BashfulSleepyHappy Sun 14-Sep-08 18:16:45

No luck... I stuffed with a microfibre pocket nappy booster, plus a microfibre cloth and they just got soaked through and the nappy still leaked. So, too much stuffing and they leak from a bad fit, not enough stuffing and they aren't absorbant enough. I guess I'm going to have to look into something else.

Anyone want to buy a large yoyo, used for 2 night only!? grin

Yanda Mon 15-Sep-08 08:55:29

Yes I do! I would love to try one actually grin Last night DD was most annoyed to be put in a nappy for bedtime so thought these might be a good inbetween.

BashfulSleepyHappy Mon 15-Sep-08 20:37:59

Yanda - CAT me.....

mybabywakesupsinging Wed 17-Sep-08 00:49:33

We bought 2 for ds1.
The first night he did an enormous wee, bed soaked (had forgotted to prewash).
Second night he did his wee, no leak.
Third night, no wee. And none thereafter. Was very odd as he was completely hopeless all day (too busy to care). After 2 weeks I put him in pants at night and he has been dry at night ever since (took another 6 months to be dry in the daytime).
I am saving the Minkys for ds2 in case they have the same miraculous effect on him...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now