Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

sick of washable nappies...(vent)

(30 Posts)
hovely Tue 22-Feb-05 18:44:41

I posted recently about ds's sore legs (using MEOS & rikki wraps), and had many helpful replies, but unfortunately none of the suggestions worked. So with many regrets ds went into disposables for a few days, and his soreness got much better. Meanwhile I invested in a couple of new styles, and tried some out yesterday & today, with a MEOS overnight.
Net result - ds is back to wearing the 'red shorts', his skin is sore & irritated over the whole groin area, plus he has a little bumpy rash from thighs to tum.
Final straw came this evening when I changed Ds after a very big poo (sorry if TMI) & feeling upset and powerless to help him I was trying to get most of it off down the toilet when DS pushed his way past my legs and dropped DD's adored 'doctor's bleeper' down the toilet. Bleeper went up in a shower of sparks, I was trying to conceal the fact from DD, get DS out of the way, whilst holding a disgusting squelchy poo-covered bundle. I have had enough of it now and feel like giving up and just using disposables.

My grumpiness may also be connected to the fact that today is my 40th birthday - a fine age to be, but you might think, something of a landmark - and my gift from DM & DF was... £20 worth of tesco vouchers. Yeah, thanks, I'll get some baked beans to make myself feel better. We don't give expensive presents in my family, so the value is not the issue, but I just feel that it was a bit lacking in thought & care from my own parents.
sorry, I know this is totally irrelevant to nappies.

LGJ Tue 22-Feb-05 18:57:41

Two things, I started out and I was going to do cloth nappies,then I left hospital with two pieces of news, one you have a heart condition, two you can not have any more babies.

So needless to say saving the environment was not high on my list of priorities.

But after a month I switched to these great nappies and felt they were a good compromise.

BTW he never had nappy rash once.

HTH

Oh and the second thing, maybe your mum and dad thought that it would help with the weekly shopping or maybe they are a bit skint and had to use club points to get the vouchers.

Either way make sure you spend it on clothes for your self or wine

Pinotmum Tue 22-Feb-05 18:58:32

Happy Birthday Hovely, use those vouchers to get a bottle of wine. My 40th's looming. As for the nappies if the disposables are working better for your ds then stay with them. I hope his little legs get better quickly.

purpleturtle Tue 22-Feb-05 19:24:29

I don't know what you've tried so far, but someone I know tried almost every real nappy going because of nappy rash problems. In the end she settled on Kushies Ultra, which don't cause the problem round the legs because there's no wrap next to the skin, just cotton. On the other hand, although an Ultra devotee myself, I rarely feel free to recommend them because they have a tendency to seep from the waist if you're not vigilant. Those disposables LGJ pointed out look good though.

purpleturtle Tue 22-Feb-05 19:25:17

would just like to qualify: don't cause as many problems round the legs

bensmum3 Tue 22-Feb-05 20:42:48

hovely, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

What is it that attracts children to the toilet, I suppose as adults we are intrigued by huge waterfalls ? Not much help I know but I think most children like putting things down there, and they don't see it as distgusting like we do.

Poor DS, I won't post more suggestions today , as its your birthday,you need to relax and enjoy it,I guess you still have some so just use a disposible and I'll come back tommorrow with some more ideas.

[smile}

gscrym Tue 22-Feb-05 20:50:09

Write today off as a non starter.

Celebrate your birthday tomorrow by popping down to Tesco and buying a bottle of wine, lots of chocolate and a nice big cake.

Good luck with the nappies.

hovely Tue 22-Feb-05 20:51:06

thanks everybody, am feeling calmer now after some wine!
LGJ you make me feel humble with your thoughtful comments, thanks for posting them & for the link.

irishbird Tue 22-Feb-05 21:16:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moondog Tue 22-Feb-05 21:24:00

Hovely, happy birthday!!!
The present might seem a bummer on the surface, but actually it is £20 on whatever you want, and there are no shortage of nice things in Tesco!!
Like most people,we get given a lot of what the Welsh call 'sothach' (fripperies) and it pains me to think of money being wasted.

Now, the nappy thing. Hate to sound self righteous,but actually the environment IS one of the foremost things on my mind. That and making sure that dd and ds's genitalia remain relatively unassaulted by weird chemicals.

On a bad day, it is easy to 'blame' real nappies for rashes, in the same way that people 'blame' breastfeeding for a variety of unfortunate occurences.
Kids will get nappy rash whatever they are wearing..on occasion.
But...sometimes the washing and organising can get a little too much, so have a few disposables on hand (like Moltex-environmentally less damaging) TO GET YOU THROUGH A ROUGH PATCH.

(Sorry about upper case there.)

Enjoy the rest of the day.

pixiefish Tue 22-Feb-05 21:38:20

Happy Birthday Hovely - (hia moondog)

moondog Tue 22-Feb-05 21:40:36

Sut mae Pixie!!!
I'm back home, and boy is it good!!!!!
(Just nodded a hello over in your direction. I'll be in Moelfre this w/end with my friend. She lives in the rectory there-big white house by the side of the road next to the graveyard.Do you know it?)

Sorry for hijack!!

pixiefish Tue 22-Feb-05 22:14:41

can i just hijack again to say that I've answered you moondog on the old cymry thread

SenoraPostrophe Tue 22-Feb-05 22:30:34

Is the washing powder you're using possibly connected to the nappy rash?

bensmum3 Wed 23-Feb-05 10:15:30

Hi again,
hope you're feeling a bit happier today, they say life begins at 40, have you bought yourself lots of nice goodies from Tesco yet ?

nappy ideas;
wash your nappies at 60 oc a couple of times with no wahing detergent, even when dirty they still come out clean !

check ds doesn't have thrush or a urine infection,might be making his wee very strong.

have you tried fleece wraps,?

I think you're great to want to keep trying cloth, and feel very lucky that my ds has been so lucky, let us know how you're getting on, and if it's not too nosey what you buy for your birthday,
good luck,

flamesparrow Wed 23-Feb-05 10:56:04

Hi, I'm new here, and was interested in the title of the thread!!!

I've had days when I felt like burning the things. Bronwyn had big rash issues, which got slightly better when we changed to surcare washing powder.

She does still get rash, but hers is a pure reaction to the poo, so I just need to change her as soon as she poos. If she is very bad, then silk nappy liners soaked in camomile tea is amazing! They are pricey, but you only need enough for a day - you can then wash them ready for the next day, or if its like B, you can put em away again!

The red shorts does sound more like a reaction to the powder though. If you just use a tiny amount of powder (I use 1/4 of a scoop at most), put them through an extra rinse cycle (without any powder), and use white vinegar in the second cycle.

I hope you had a great birthday and got lots of goodies from Tesco... what I could do with £20 tesco vouchers...

lunavix Wed 23-Feb-05 11:04:51

AFAIK (so please don't hold me to this if I am wrong!) nappy rash is caused by the content of urine next to the skin. So possibly a more absorbent nappy, or using fleece to protect the skin from the urine could be a good idea. As a general rule the nappy cannot cause it, and I think there are chemicals in disposables that can aggrevate it. If it's environmental reasons you are using them, there are disposables without the chemicals like have been mentioned.

If it's cost reasons, perhaps trying some new sorts could help. HTH.

Allycat Wed 23-Feb-05 13:50:18

Hi Hovely, Trouble is as we both know its not nappy rash as it is not really in the bum and crotch area but more where the edges rub. I think it the elastic around the edges of the wraps. I just looked at the lovebum wraps and they look really comfy. When his rash has cleared up I may buy two just to see if it makes a difference. they are on www.lovebums.co.uk. Good luck (again)

flamesparrow Wed 23-Feb-05 20:50:19

Your more normal type of nappy rash isn't so much because of the urine, but the reaction of the urine mixing with bacteria in poo, so just the urine itself isn't normally too bad... unless there is soap residue left in the nappies, which then turns the urine to ammonia and hurts.

Did a pile of research when B first started flaring up (she had big weeping sores)....

Not that that helps the point at the moment ... The wraps could be the issue if they are rubbing his little legs - B couldn't wear several wraps because they rubbed her tummy too much.

xxxx

hovely Wed 23-Feb-05 20:57:28

hi Allycat, sorry to hear your ds's rash/soreness still continues as well.
Yes, it does seem to be the edges of the wraps which set it off, then the irritation spreads. last time one of the wraps got folded over at the tummy and DS had huge white weals across his tum where the aplix had been in contact. But it is not just the aplix, even popper wraps don't solve it, so I have been trying some stuffables (one fuzzibunz, and one minki is on its way), but unfortunately, as I said the problem just recurred but with a rash as well. aaagh! I have just checked out lovebums and they look promising, have ordered one to try.
Thanks to others for posting, but 'stripping' the nappies & wraps (ie washing hot with no soap) was one of the first things I tried, and I had always used ecover liquid and fleece liners before that.

Cristina7 Wed 23-Feb-05 21:08:44

Hi Hovely, just to wish you a belated Happy Birthday for yesterday.

binkybetsy Wed 23-Feb-05 21:11:46

I'm not sure what advice you've received already or precisely what changes you've tried to alleviate the problem, so I think I'll just give you my experience with washables.
I used the Bambino Mio "birth to potty pack" for both of my kids (same ones). I used a disposable on a night (Nature nappies, available in Sainsbury's, composed of 70% biodegradable environmentally friendly materials).
I found this to be the best compromise as the kids would wake up wet and uncomfortable in the night, using a disposable meant they slept straight through!
I had to change to Ecover washing powder and softener to stop the mild itchiness and redness, similar to what is reported here. I also had to change the nappies every hour, give or take. Furthermore after each nappy change, I left their bums bare to the air.
I'm convinced that these measures meant that nappy rash was rare and they were comfortable. I used to change them into a disposable before we left for a day out, but take a cloth nappy with me for changing. HTH

stupidgirl Wed 23-Feb-05 21:14:44

Not sure if this is any use to you, but dd had similar problems, with rashes where the wrap touched her legs. I spent ages experimenting with different wraps until I could find one which was effective and soft around the legs.

Unfortunately, I can't remember for the life of me what I settled on in the end (dd is nearly 4 now and has been out of nappies for 2 years). The nappy lady was very good at making suggestions for what might be suitable. Also, there are some very knowledgable people on the nappy board on UKP - not that I'm suggesting that you lot here aren't knowledgable ;) - you might also be able to pick up some cheap nappies on the buy and sell nappies board there so you can try out lots of different types.

flamesparrow Thu 24-Feb-05 16:08:21

Oooh yes - the nappy lady is amazing! I would recommend anyone going there with their problem.

RuthN Sat 16-Apr-05 20:53:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now