Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Potty help!!!

(11 Posts)
yummymummy1405 Mon 08-Sep-08 10:22:28

have just started potty traing ds who was 2 in may. It's only the second day but I'm wondering am I right thing? He's in pants but instead of telling me he needs a wee etc I'm putting him on the potty and hes squeezing lol will this mean he doesn't recognize when he needs it or am I doing the right thing in first establishing we don't go in our pants??

seeker Mon 08-Sep-08 10:29:00

Too early. Don't start until he is clearly telling when he needs to go. You'll end up spending your whole day saying "Do you need a wee? Are you sure? Shall we just try?" and shampooing carpets and sofas.

ajm200 Mon 08-Sep-08 10:32:38

We started DS at 18 months because he asked for the potty and did a wee.

If your little on isn't showing any signs of wanting to use it yet, leave it for a while or just put him on the potty first thing in the morning and after meals without stressing out if he does nothing. That way he'll get the idea about using it and will be know to ask for it when he is ready.

Good luck.

yummymummy1405 Mon 08-Sep-08 11:39:11

he has been using the potty at nightimes and in the morning for a long time will keep going for a week and see how we go thank u for the advice tho

ajm200 Mon 08-Sep-08 12:12:42

If he's been using it for a while and you are happy to keep going, good luck
He'll get it slowly but might have a few accidents so keep a good supply of carpet shampoo available.

DS had a few accidents at first and it encouraged DH to save up for the wooden floor that I've wanted for ages so it's not all bad.

yummymummy1405 Mon 08-Sep-08 13:58:43

LOL ajm we have wooden and laminate floors so accidents don't bother me have had a reasonably good morning partly due to icecream grapes (frozen grapes)!

Shoegazer Mon 08-Sep-08 15:44:54

I was worried about the same thing when I started potty training, my thread is around asking the same thing but DD has got it slowly and two weeks tomorrow after I started potty training her she has now had three days without accidents and she does say when she wants to go, but I also might ask her to remind her or take her to the toilet before we go out so she can do it then.

What's a few accidents whilst they are learning? It provides them with the opportunity to learn and lets them make sense of it all. Your DS clearly already has the link with "I sit on the potty and I can make a wee come out" so he can control the muscles somewhat- unless you are picking him up mid accident and throwing him on the potty- so he just needs a little time to refine it all. He will suprise you and start asking soon enough, what's wrong with a gradual approach as long as you are happy to clean up the accidents along the way.

Anyway, he can come and pee on my laminate with DD if you like now I know who you are wink

yummymummy1405 Mon 08-Sep-08 18:12:23

hehehe my secret identity squashed!!! Had a really good afternoon no accidents and a poo in the potty I am still coaxing him into it but not mid accident just at regular intervals.

ches Tue 09-Sep-08 00:35:39

I think asking them helps them to get awareness. That's how we started, and we just had an accident-free weekend and a dry night with an 18.5 mth old!

yummymummy1405 Tue 09-Sep-08 12:54:15

am having a down day. Looked after my friends ds this morning and although my ds was very good going when I prompted etc there were a few accidents. A verysmall part of my brain is saying it's only day 2 and he has no problem with going on the potty for a wee and poos so that's brilliant. But a larger part of my brain thinks that mayb Im going about this the wrong way and he would b happy in nappies or pants. Still will try hard to persever for a week and re evaluate then. Right just needed a rant!

Shoegazer Tue 09-Sep-08 13:59:21

Don't give up! It is only day 2 and he is doing so well, it took DD until day 2/3 to even wee on the potty and the accidents have just gradually decreased over the last 2 weeks to occasional ones. You are not doing it wrong, its just that there are so many ways to do it that its hard to feel confident in the method that you choose. It was just as I was about to give up and go back to nappies that DD seemed to "get it". He will get used to holding it longer and I think ches is right and I like her gradual approach, asking does help them to become aware. They are still so small really, they need a while to practise. This was my post 5 days in here

so just hang on in there! And come round and have accidents here! I'll make the tea and offer support!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now