Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

microfibre question - does it work as a booster?

(6 Posts)
mybabywakesupsinging Mon 08-Sep-08 02:21:40

Was just wondering about trying this to stuff something like an eco-bumble. Has anyone used microfibre cloths or towels as boosters? can you cut up towels and do they need edging if you do?

BigBadMousey Mon 08-Sep-08 15:54:00

Wasn't going to reply because I was very jealous - my babies wake up screaming (would you like to do an exchange for a few months?)

I use microfibre cloths as my main boosters inside DD2s Ellas House Nappies. They are just shaped nappies without the handy pouch you have on the eco-bumble and it works very well - I think it would work even better inside an eco bumble. I also successfully use them to stuff DS's pocket nappies.

I would say the microfibre cloths would be an excellent stuffing for an eco bumble - very cheap and effective. You can also use cut up towels or cheap face cloths (look on ebay for bulk face cloths or some people get them cheap in Ikea). If you cut up a towel then they will need hemming or they will fray quite quickly and, although that isn't a problem in itself you'll find your inserts become too small or an odd shape quite quickly. Don't be tempted if you spot bamboo dishcloths in the supermarket aisles - these are not very robust and won't stand up to repeated washing. You could buy bamboo terry squares and cut them up as you would a towel - you would defintely need to hem those though as bamboo is very prone to fraying (it still works out cheaper than buying specific bamboo inserts though - I got two inserts per square which provide an absorbant, thin fitting insert for DS's pocket nappies. You'd be surprised how long the flat bamboo nappy would take to dry though. Microfibre cloths don't take long to dry at all.

hth smile

mybabywakesupsinging Mon 08-Sep-08 23:00:03

thank you.
Only ds2 wakes up singing. Ds1 woke up howling for months...
I agree bamboo squares take forever...but I have a big one that goes into the enormous night nappy structure and is mighty in its absorbency.
Where do you get microfibre cloths from?

Ceolas Tue 09-Sep-08 00:24:44

I bought a microfibre cloth today in Asda for 99p. I'm sure you can get them cheaper though. Packs in pound shops seem to ring a bell?

BigBadMousey Tue 09-Sep-08 09:58:10

The ones I use are Tesco Value ones - 3 for 89p in the household/dishcloth aisle. They are just one layer but fold into three like you would a prefold and sit inside a shaped nappy nicely that way. I just put a few together if I want to use them in Pocket Nappies. They are about 20cm square.

I always keep one to hand by the change mat too now I have a DS grin

mybabywakesupsinging Thu 11-Sep-08 02:03:07

thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now