Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

wont poo on the potty!

(12 Posts)
spugs Sun 07-Sep-08 20:44:37

Hi my dd who is 2.4 yrs old is now potty trained (wee). im really proud of her as it only took a couple of days and shes had very few accidents. shes nearly dry over night (fingers crossed as 7 yr old dd has nocturnal enurisis). but when it comes to doing a poo she gets very upset no matter what i do.she walks up and down shouting that she needs a poo (i can only describe the walking up and down as being like a woman in labour iykwim) she wont sit on the potty or toilet, doesnt want a nappy on and normally ends up pooing in her knickers. she gets very upset and doesnt want me to change her. im not sure what to do about it, i reasure her that its ok and try to gently persuade her to go on the potty to no avail. any ideas?

ches Sun 07-Sep-08 23:39:33

How long has this been going on? Some kids aren't as adaptable as others and need to take changes slowly.

LittlePushka Sun 07-Sep-08 23:52:28

This is not meant to be gross,...but have you lest her sit on the potty whilst you are in the loo doing yours? If not, try that and let her see it and what you do with toilet paper etc.

spugs Mon 08-Sep-08 16:37:52

only a couple of weeks, she did a couple of poos on the potty but then nothing else.

she comes in the toilet with me a lot and knows what goes on grin

might try the taking the potty thing in, thanks

NumberFour Tue 09-Sep-08 08:11:53

my son was exactly the same. i decided not to force him to sit on the potty, but rather do so when he was ready.

however, my husband resorted to bribery and told our son that every time he pooed on the potty he would get a present! it cost us a fortune, but it worked.

i know how difficult it can be and i am really sorry that i don't have any real advice for you other than possibly trying a bribery route, too???

ajm200 Tue 09-Sep-08 08:27:03

We had this with DS. He was dry for several weeks before he'd poo in the potty and the problem was made worse by his gran smacking him for pooing where he shouldn't.

Eventually, I took a few days off from the housework, watched him like a hawk and dumped him on the potty as soon as he showed signs of pooing. After, we'd done this a couple of times, he started to poo in the potty

spugs Tue 09-Sep-08 16:56:47

bribary doesnt work and if i try to sit her on the pot she just gets straight off! ill just have\ to give it time thanks

scrambledhead Tue 09-Sep-08 19:55:09

We had this with DS1, I think it's quite common. He was dry at 2.6 but would always wait for night time nappy to do a poo. It took a year. At the time I thought it would never happen. Give it time. Good luck.

boogeek Tue 09-Sep-08 19:56:59

My DD1 did this - waited until after her tea, had a nappy on (after being dry all day), pooed, went to bed with no nappy (dry all night). Took months. I thought bribery wasn't going to work but in the end I promised a pink bike and we never looked back. She drives a hard bargain. (Or perhaps she had just grown up enough to manage.)

ches Wed 10-Sep-08 02:41:11

You can try getting her one of those dolls that poos. Let her "teach" the doll how to use the potty for a poo. If you do interactive play with her and the doll, she may express the reason for her apprehension and you can help reassure her, or else a la Potty Training in One Day, she may crack it after teaching the doll.

LittlePushka Sun 14-Sep-08 22:52:09

Bump for another MNetter

MinkyBorage Mon 15-Sep-08 08:53:19

Thank you LP, great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now