Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

DS 4.11 Still wet most nights - sleeps too heavily to wake up

(6 Posts)
Takeadeepbreath Sun 07-Sep-08 16:40:06

DS is 5 next month and has been out of nappies for a few months at night. We took him out of them at his request and he had had a few dry nights consecutively. When he was nappyless, during the course of a week he would have 2/3 dry nights and the rest either very wet or just a slight 'dribble'. This continued for a while and then we started lifting him at our bedtime. It increased dry nights to 3/4 a week but he would still wake up wet a few times a week. It doesn't seem to bother him that he is wet!

I think the main issue is that he sleeps very heavily and has never woken in the night for a wee or because he is wet. It seems to have gotten worse recently and he has just started reception so do not want to pressure him.

Should I persevere or put him into pull ups for a while and try again in a few weeks/months? Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.

malfoy Sun 07-Sep-08 16:46:38

we are in a similar situation. DS sleeps so heavily that if he falls out of bed he keeps on sleeping so we use pull ups. It does seem wasteful as he does not need them most nights.

Flutterbye Tue 09-Sep-08 09:23:27

Same for us, I'm still using size 6 nappies on him that he sometimes wets through, tried him in only pants - doesn't wake when he's wet. Tried lifting but he's out cold and can't/won't wee 'cause he's all wobbly! Am going to ask the health visitor today see if she's any use on the matter, will report back if any good info.

psychomum5 Tue 09-Sep-08 09:29:40

do not worry...........DS2 is 6 and is still in pull-ups....he too sleeps to heavily to wake.

he is better then he used to be. thro the summer we actually had him out of them, but since he has returned to school I feel unfair trying to disturb and lift him so he is back in them.

I am not worried, he will get there in his own time, just like he has done with everything else.

and if it helps (cos it does mewink), my DS1 was 6.7yrs when he 'got it', and he has been completely dry since

goblinvalley Tue 09-Sep-08 09:58:00

I'd put him back in pull ups for a while.

I don't know whether it is 'normal' or not but my ds is 5 1/2 and we haven't even bothered trying him out of his night nappies.

Like your son he sleeps like a brick and there is no way i am lifting him in the middle of the night.

I'm with psychomum in that it he will be dry when he is ready smile

Takeadeepbreath Wed 10-Sep-08 14:55:14

Thanks for your messages everyone, have put him in pull ups the last couple of nights and will continue until he is ready to be dry by himself without being lifted. My washing has certainly gone down, which is good news, particularly with no tumble dryer and the rubbish weather we've had, not that it influenced my decision at all {grin}.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now