Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Quick!! Help for a friend: Real nappies guidance!

(14 Posts)
Alambil Sun 07-Sep-08 16:26:45

Please help; my mum's convinced my sister's friend that there is a nappy out there that needs only the insert washing - a rectangular bit of material that doesn't take long to dry.

Is this true? Mum's confusing everyone!

Anyway.... friend would like to use real nappies but hasn't the foggiest where to start.

Any help most gratefully received; please rescue us from nappy confusion grin

cargirl Sun 07-Sep-08 16:28:08

sounds like she's talking about pre-foled with a wrap as the wraps don't need washing very often unless they are soiled?

Alambil Sun 07-Sep-08 16:36:13

ah yeah, think that's it - will send friend on the wrap/nappy hunt!

Thanks

cargirl Sun 07-Sep-08 16:38:10

I wouldn't recommend pre-folds for newborn breast fed babies btw they're not good on explosive poo!

Bumbles from easy peasy are very good and they do a nippa fastening economy version that are £3 each and are suitable from birth and last until potty training - just need to buy some boosting material as baby gets bigger.

BigBadMousey Sun 07-Sep-08 21:27:17

Yes, definitely sounds like prefolds. Pouch nappies are similar - maybe your mum has spotted the new Mothercare 'Smart' nappy (it's not that smart because it leaks quite often grin)

Your sister's friend really needs some advice tailored to her own needs and cicumstances to help her find the right nappy. Where is she located? There are a fair few advisors out there who do not charge for their services. There is also a similar online servive available at www.thenappylady.co.uk but I'm a bit hmm - they always seem to advise you use one of 2 particular nappies.

Nappyzoneneedssleep Sun 07-Sep-08 21:32:00

would that be the ones they stock mousey?

BigBadMousey Sun 07-Sep-08 21:36:35

grin - no idea and it's probably an unfair comment but I have yet to meet anyone who has been recommended anything other than MEOS or Bumbles.

No, come to think of it someone I know was told Wonderoos and MEOS - see it was an unfair comment afterall grin

Nappyzoneneedssleep Sun 07-Sep-08 22:00:54

Oh i wasnt being unfair - it makes good business sense smile I am in bad mood anyway angry

BigBadMousey Sun 07-Sep-08 22:07:14

grin - no I meant I was being unfair not you!

I was humpy as hell yesterday - I blame the crappy weather combined with having to resist the urge to eBay DD2 when really I think it is the best solution (second only to going to live on a tropical island somewhere away from everyone else grin)

Nappyzoneneedssleep Sun 07-Sep-08 22:12:17

really you can ebay kids? i would be tempted but they would track me down for a refund and compensation! grin. I am just sleep deprived.

BigBadMousey Sun 07-Sep-08 22:32:39

Yes, you have to move house quickly (or give a false address) for maximum effect.

I'm sleep deprived too . Can't face going to bed even though I am shattered because I know the moment my head hits the pillow DD2 will start up for the night angry.

You can come to my tropical island if you like smile - you have to bring your own bottle(s) though (unless you are good at distilling coconut milk in which case it would be essentisl that you come too grin)

Leenie Mon 08-Sep-08 00:27:48

Hi, i am using the smart nappy on my 2 week old after trying cotton bottoms and tots bots,i think the smart nappies are by far the best, the other two types leaked terribly, the cotton bottoms were bulky and hard, poor little thing looked like he had a big brick between his legs . grin i have had a couple of nights where he has wet through the smarts, but he does wee alot, i breastfeed so his poo's can be quite explosive too, i use the mothercare disposable liners with the nappy and so far no dirty leakes, i found them affordable for the innitial outlay, easy to use, nice and soft and fit snugly, they also dry nice and quickly ,

Leenie Mon 08-Sep-08 00:29:37

sorry i forgot to add that i find i have to change the outer wrap two to three times per day, but they wash and dry in no time at all, hope this helps

AnnVan Mon 08-Sep-08 01:05:44

I'd recommend that she speaks to a local nappy advisor to make sure she gets the best type of nappy for her needs. BBM - I have to say the nappy lady recommended for me... MEOS and funnily enough recommended exactly the same for my sister. Neither of us has actually ended up buying these. I found my local nappy agent far more helpful. She didn't seem like she was pushing one particular brand o nappy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now