Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Feeling very tempted to go over to the dark side. Talk to me about pockets...

(29 Posts)
DistractionTechniques Fri 05-Sep-08 20:24:13

DD has been in two-parters full time since she was a week or two old. Bamboozels in the day and Bambeasy at night, both with the trusty Airflow.

Anyway, she's 9 1/2 months now and quickly becoming impossibly wriggly more mobile. I swore I wouldn't be tempted to try pockets, but the time has come grin

I'm looking for something that will fit until she potty trains. She's already getting an idea of how aplix works, so I suppose poppers are the way forward.

I've already got quite a lot of boosters: 12 each of Bambineo/Bambinex/Geobel and some cotton ones about the some length as the bamboo but broader. Oh, and a few Ella's House hemp too. It would be handy if I could use them in the pockets. Is that likely to be possible?

I'm not in the UK but will need to order them there, if there is somewhere I could get, say, 3 types to try that would be great. Postage costs and all that...

So pocket lovers, do your worst wink

LackaDAISYcal Fri 05-Sep-08 20:28:42

bumgenius, fuzzibunz, greenkids, wonderoos.....the list is endless really.

Have a look in the small business ads. NappyZone is queen of the pocket nappy and will be able to advise what pockets will suit the inserts that you already have, although from my experience of pocket nappies is that they more often than not come with an insert smile

DistractionTechniques Fri 05-Sep-08 20:35:39

I've had a good look at what's arround, but it's always good to know how things work in RL smile

I've heard mixed reviews about BGs, it seems they may be a fantastic nappy that doesn't age well. I would want to be able to use them for subsequent DC.

GreenMonkies Fri 05-Sep-08 20:35:50

I have a few stuffables/pockets, without a doubt BumGenius are the best. They are onesize with poppers down the front to allow you to make them fit and grow with the baby and come in lots of nice colours etc. They can be pricey, but worth it if you ask me!

I like a Minki at night, we use a slinki minki and whilst it is bulky it does seem to do the job, DD is 2 now and we have only had a handful of leaks, and they have generally been when I have not stuffed it enough. I find a folded Little Ewe terry boosted with a face-cloth (yes, honestly!) works for us over night.

Happy stuffing! grin

DistractionTechniques Fri 05-Sep-08 20:36:04

arround around

ilovemydog Fri 05-Sep-08 20:41:22

I'd go for Bum Genius all in one, but not the one size which is not great, ime. The problem with BG is the velcro, which does tend to get a bit worn.

Alternatively, Tots Bots Flexitot is brilliant., but you will need to use a wrap.

DistractionTechniques Fri 05-Sep-08 20:44:56

I've heard the stretchy bits at the side of BG don't wear well either. Have yours been OK?

TBH, I think I'd rather have poppers. I like the idea of being able to use them as pull ups later, also a bonus that they are harder for DC to get open/off.

cmotdibbler Fri 05-Sep-08 20:49:59

We've got a couple of Wonderoos that are BTP with poppers. I got them second hand, and they seem very reliable and I get a good fit with all sorts of stuffings

BigBadMousey Fri 05-Sep-08 21:05:25

You really need to speak to NAPPYZONE. She will ship to anywhere, has a good range of pockets, gives free advice and has used many types.

But since I have nothing better to do atm I hall confuse you with some random ramblings <sorry> blush.....

The BG V3 should hopefully be longer lasting than the V2 but it is still early days. They have addressed the issue of deteriorating velcro tabs that the V2 had. I'm not a fan of velcro anything though tbh - once you realise how easy poppers are I think you don't gp back

There are Wonderoos (btp), BG V2 and Fuzzis on eBay UK that are reduced and insertless. The pocket of the Wonderoo is huge so not sure your boosters will work in one - I suspect it will slide about and become out of place. Wonderoos are very reliable for many people, Fuzzis slightly less so (you have to ensure the fleece is tucked in all round). Pocket Bots worked very well for us (the best of all we tried - we tried lots) - the medium long may fit until potty training, they are popper fit and designed to work with whatever boosters you have to hand - they don't come with inserts. You'd have to buy direct from her though so extra postage instead of all in one lot... Mommy's Touch would look like a good choice for you but are quite unreliable for many people

When my DD2 reached this stage I moved to pockets but have to admit I went back to 2 parters when she calmed down (months later) because I could not get the absorbancy I needed from a pocket nappy. I use Sandy's as a pull up pant successfully but cannot get the airflow to pull up as easily.

BigBadMousey Fri 05-Sep-08 21:08:23

sorry X posts - serves me right to say I had nothing better to do (DCs woke up)

Olihan Fri 05-Sep-08 21:35:59

I've recently started using pockets with my 19mo and have got all sorts.

So far I've found:

Mommy's Touch wick like crazy and leak every time.

FuzziBunz also wick quite quickly and the insert is smaller and thinner than the Wonderoos or GADs that I've got so they don;t last long either.

Greenkids are a great fit but only come in Velcro.

Wonderoos are very reliable but slightly bulkier than some of the others.

PocketBots are lovely - they fit nicely, aren't too bulky, plus you can choose the pattern, inner fleece and popper colours (fab!) and have't yet wicked or leaked.

Blueberry Minkys are my favourite in terms of fit and absorbancy but are very expensive. Mine are sized ones but they also do a BTP version.

WeeNotions are good but seem to come up very large compared to the other types. They're reliable but as bulky as 2 parters.

I also tried swaddlebees but they didn't fit him at all.

DistractionTechniques Fri 05-Sep-08 21:38:58

Thanks BBM and Olihan

<off too take a better look at BrightBots>

LackaDAISYcal Fri 05-Sep-08 21:45:04

happy heineys are quite good too....nice inserts with those.

I bought some drybees from nappyzone which are velcro, but very good value for money and I've not had any leaky issues with them, inspite of the fact that DD is at the smaller end of the weight range for them (I bought large, when I should have bought medium)

Another option for you might be some snap in all-in-ones like the new modern baby pop-ins, itty bitty d'lish, blueberry diapers, berry plush or sugar peas. They can be poppered together in advance so go on like an AIO, but come apart for ease of washing and drying. They tend to be a bit pricier than pocket nappies though.

eviz Fri 05-Sep-08 21:49:26

Fuzzibunz leaked if DD1 had a big wee

We have ditched them now..

BigBadMousey Fri 05-Sep-08 22:25:03

Did you mean pocket bots?

Olihan Fri 05-Sep-08 22:35:56

Oh yes, I've got a Happy Heineys and a DryBee as well - I just use them with a GAD or Blueberry insert. I think they're mediums but they fit well and haven't leaked either.

BBM's pocket bots link should come with a warning, you WILL lose hours of your life and a lot of your bank balance on there, choosing your nappies. Approach with extreme caution and NO credit card grin.

PinkTulips Fri 05-Sep-08 22:39:09

i just bought a swaddlebees Econappi for ds and i love it.

really funky prints and seems to have really good containment... it got sorely tested while he had a tummy bug this week!

he loves it too and it's very adjustable, he's quite chunky at 2 and there's loads of room to grow... not sure how bulky it is when you adjust it down the way though.

DistractionTechniques Sat 06-Sep-08 20:36:29

Thanks for the advice and tips! I'm looking at a few things but am now having Doubts. Am hoping BBM will come back.

DistractionTechniques Sat 06-Sep-08 20:41:03

Yup BBM I meant pocket bots blush I'd just been reading the EC thread, they recommended them on there.

So you tried pockets and went back to two-parters, very interesting. How long did you use them for?

Ready4anotherCoffee Sat 06-Sep-08 20:46:09

pocket bots are fab!!! But as Olihan says, be warned. I always approach with a flask of coffeegrin

I also like berryplush, and blueberry, and wee notions, with their hemp inserts, which are nice and slim. I have some GADs that my aunt bought from the states that are fab.

I would agree avoid aplix. I didn't lilke itti bitti, or wonderoos, but that is my preferance.

Doubts??? Can I help at all?

DistractionTechniques Sat 06-Sep-08 21:14:00

Thanks anotherCoffee

My doubts...

BBM (who is a nappy adviser) mentioned that she only used them for a relatively short period (...'months'...).

I'd be happy to get them if I can find a good one, get a stash one type and use them until PT. If that is't realistic I'll have to leave it.

The addictive nature of nappies in general and pockets in particular. This is a dangerous business grin I don't want to spend a fortune looking for the illusive perfect nappy.

I'm worried the PUL won't stand up to being used for as long as I'd want it too. DD (9 1/2months) is DC1 and I'd love to have two one more. Replacing worn out wraps is much cheaper than buying a whole new nappy system.

I'd probably be better off selling my Bamboozles and replacing them with popper Bambeasy. I have some nippa Bambeasy for night times and they are fab. The nippas have shredded the bamboo so am now using pins hmm but the nappies themselves are FAB

Bored yet? blush

Nappyzoneneedssleep Sat 06-Sep-08 21:33:52

Hello! As a few have mentioned i have tried and stocked a fair few pockets - poppers wise the main runners are eco nappi which comes in aplix and poppers, wonderoos (baggy on smaller ones but im finding better on my older boy now and great for nightime), mommmys touch - hellishly complicated to fold down but work well folded out and fuzzi bunz, gad, blueberry sidesnap, pea pods (if you can still get them - think snugglebum nappies may still stock em)...... the most reliable pockets i have on my stash and i have used pockets since my boy was 2 months old so i have 20 months on this are bumgenius - issue allegedly sorted with tabs etc... but only time will tell - they come with a 6 month guarantee - i have had no v3 returns and about 8 v2 returns inthe last 18 months which isnt alot % wise as when they were on bogof i sold oooodles. I have been lucky with pockets - most have served me well - i only didnt get on with swaddlebees and peapods let me down but i know why now (hemp issue.... and big weer stage). Now my new fave nappy is the wahmies - its slim, it isnt poppers and its lasting ages on my boy, alot are put of by the hook fastening but once you have used it a few times it serves well and is immposible for my boy to remove. That said perhaps i am just lucky - certainly dont go and but a ship load of one type - dont get addicted by pretty patterns and cotton laminates if you are wanting a sturdy day nappy you can mega stuff for night - come stroke a minkytime - you will never look back grin. Feel free to drop me a line .........

What else can i bore you about - its all in the stuffing and most come with inserts - extras you have will serve well for boosting and for when inserts take longer to dry. Oh and there is always a pocket nappy that wont suit you - if you get away with them they are fab. Were are you based ?

Nappyzoneneedssleep Sat 06-Sep-08 21:37:20

and its not dark in the pocket world - its bright and illuminous in some areas and can be very flowery!grin

Ready4anotherCoffee Sat 06-Sep-08 22:42:30

I heart hemp and minkygrin

Ready4anotherCoffee Sun 07-Sep-08 00:20:44

I have no experiance of using pockets for lots of siblings, I used motherease for my 1st two. however, you do have to consider whether the nappy itself would last too. Ather doing btp for 2 children all my motherease were looking ropey, and I would have had to replace them anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now