Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Thinking of buying a couple of all-in-ones. Any recommendations?

(25 Posts)
Ceolas Thu 04-Sep-08 10:20:59

My mum is going to be doing a bit of regular babysitting for DD3 and whilst she terry nappied 3 of us she's a bit hmm about my 2 part system. Not sure why...

Anyway I thought I might get a couple of aio's. We had Kushies for DD1 (nearly 9 years ago!) and they were pretty rubbish. Any other recommendations?

LackaDAISYcal Thu 04-Sep-08 10:28:05

bamabinex have brought out a new one, but not sure what it's like. It looks good, but AIO's are still a bit of a lame duck as far as nappies are concerned IMO.

Have you thought about pockets instead? Bumgenius, once the insert is in, go on just like a disposable with stretchy elastic side tabs and are pretty good on the absorbency/leakproof front. you could supply her with enough to last the day, all ready to put on and then deal with separating the inserts when you get them back.

Another option is the new generation of snap in AIOs, like the modern baby pop-in (advertised above the MN title bar) or similar ones like itty bitty d'lish, blueberry or the like. Again you could have then preassembled so all she has to do is put them on, and they come apart for ease of washing and drying.

hth smile

Ceolas Thu 04-Sep-08 10:34:05

Never thought of pockets. Yes it's the no-faff option I was going for so they would work OK. She's only going to have her for a few hours so I don't need very many.

What do you think of the modern baby ones? DD is quite petite at 12 months and 19lbs. She's in size 1 bimbles atm, but weeing through them if I don't boost them!

LackaDAISYcal Thu 04-Sep-08 10:40:31

I've got a few of the pop-ins as I've been trialling them for M&B magazine and they are good. My DD is 15months and only weighs 21 lbs and they are just fine on her. They would struggle on a bigger baby, especially with the added boosters. I had a couple of leaks, but only when the insert bit got a biot scrunched up, so it's important to have them completely flat when putting them on; not always easy with a wriggler like mine though grin

That's the same for all pocket types though.

If I had to make a choice between the pop-in and the bumgenius, I'd go for the bumgenius. They are a bit cheaper and definately more reliable and granny proof smile

Ceolas Thu 04-Sep-08 10:41:40

Thanks. What's the difference between the v3 and 2 bgs?

LackaDAISYcal Thu 04-Sep-08 10:44:02

another option would be fuzzibunz as they are much cheaper than the BG....but poppers might cause granny ishoos and not all baby shapes suit them. DD has been in the medium ones since she was about 9mo old and even now is still on the smallest setting. Important to do the leg poppers up first with them or leakage can occur.

If she is only having her for a few hours though and you want the easiest option, then I'd definately go for the bumgenius.

Ceolas Thu 04-Sep-08 10:45:42

Yes, DH who can manage a nippa no bother struggles with leg/waist poppered nappies hmm

WOuld you buy bumgenius second hand? Do they last well?

LackaDAISYcal Thu 04-Sep-08 10:49:25

V3 have a bigger hole for stuffing the pocket in, stretchier sides, less chance of wicking at the front/top due to a cunning tweak in the design and seem a little bit more robust (there have been quality issues with the V2 apparently). They also have a little insert (newborn or booster) and a big one, where the V2 just had one that folded down for a newborn, so the V3 is a bit more boostable.

I've not used the V3, but am happy enough with the V2. I think you can still buy them new (minus inserts) on ebay, but they are getting quite hard to come by.

You could always try www.usednappies.co.uk as they come up quite regularly second hand smile

LackaDAISYcal Thu 04-Sep-08 10:50:51

cross post, but I think that might answer your last question too smile

I'm not ignoring you from now, gotta run!

Ceolas Thu 04-Sep-08 10:51:50

THanks

ilovemydog Thu 04-Sep-08 10:54:18

If you do go for BumGenius, get the all in one rather than the one size. They are infinitely more absorbent ime and fit better.

Definitely the diaper of choice by dads, and mils! Just like a disposable...

Ceolas Thu 04-Sep-08 11:01:32

Where can you get the aios? I've only seen the pocket type.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 04-Sep-08 12:36:16

hi again smile

I didn't realise BG did an all-in-one as well......you live and learn!

found some here

LackaDAISYcal Thu 04-Sep-08 12:37:30

and it's a fair point about getting a sized rather than the one size option, as a medium would probably do her till potty training.

Might have to try some of those....in the interests of research grin

susiecutiebananas Thu 04-Sep-08 12:44:50

Just wanted to chip in- hope not too late!

I use Fuzzibunz and bumgenius. They are fab, so reliable and also easy for my mum and DH to use. I boost them at night with a little insert with the regular.

I've also found the one they both come with is really ample, no need to buy a different one.

They are both pocket nappies. Fuzzi's are sized, but I put DD into a medium when she was about 9 months and she will definitely stay in that until potty training. The bumgenius are birth to potty and of course fit fine. I have only used them on the fully extended setting and its perfect. Not sure how good they are adjusted, but DD is petite too at 19months weighs about 22lbs and didin't need it to be smaller.

I find the fit on the bumgenius really good as it has very stretchy fastening tabs, have never leaked either, unless she's in them too long. i.e. if not changed first thing on waking up but by then she's had a good 12 hours of absorbency.

HTH

susiecutiebananas Thu 04-Sep-08 12:49:47

Also ceolas, my DH can also manage a nappy nippa and folding a terry no problems! Yet he finds the poppers on the fuzzis tricky hmm

I think he has genuine issues with having large hands and fingers and the poppers are small ish. He also finds the pocket a little small to stuff.

So he always uses the bumgenius when he changes her as no poppers- aplix fastening and also the pocket opening as a bit wider.

Ceolas Thu 04-Sep-08 13:24:23

shock £15.95 for the BG aio!

Not sure I can stretch to that.

Ceolas Thu 04-Sep-08 23:07:23

Anyone tried the thirsties aio?

wontbepreggersagain Fri 05-Sep-08 09:48:46

wonderoos- pockets but absolutly fabbo! quite easy to get secondhand as well i think!

LackaDAISYcal Fri 05-Sep-08 11:28:53

my wonderoo always leaks sad

Ceolas, after much soul searching about my poor DDs recurrent eczema and rashes in her nappy are, we are sadly giving up on reuseables sad. Anyhoo, I have a couple of pink BG V2, and some lilac and pink fuzzibunz that I'm going to sell (impending DC is a blue one, so I don't think he'll thank me for girly coloured nappies). They have all only been used intermittently for about 6 months and are in very good condition.

CAT me if you are interested or email daisybump at yahoo dot co dot uk smile

ilovemydog Fri 05-Sep-08 11:32:00

Thirsties were dreadful...

Ceolas Fri 05-Sep-08 13:47:45

Argh, I just ordered two bumgenius from Kittykins this morning!

I'll see how we get on and come back to you on the fuzzis. How much were you thinking?

LackaDAISYcal Fri 05-Sep-08 19:23:30

I'm not sure ceolas..... I need to check exactly what I have re outers and inserts. I bought some of the old style fuzzis minus inserts as I had a load that I was given and then some of the new style ones, but not sure whether they had inserts or not. I do have some whiter and fresher looking inserts so they must've done. Let me sort them all out and I'll get back to you smile

susiecutiebananas Sat 06-Sep-08 23:53:05

I had a bad experience with wonderoos also. Leaked terribly. I SO wanted to like them. however, then I found the Fuzzis and BG and wouldn't change either really as they're both great.

Lackadaisycal re eczema, I'm sure you've tried all sorts of things, and this is so obvious, but, have you tried washing the nappies in a really mild non bio liquid? I switched to ecover washing liquid as dd had horrible nappy rash. Was initially caused by thrush and then went on a bit. She was teething which is usually the only time she gets nappy rash. Anyway, it did actually make a huge difference. I also use a great cream from neals yard, and another from weldeda - calendula main ingredient. that pretty much sorted her out in a few days. The neals yard cream is in a huge tub and pricey, but has lasted me well over 6 months if not more.

JUst that I went back to disposables for a bit and it actually made er worse. In fact, every time I change when we are traveling around in hotels with DH from time to time, se gets very sore immediately. I've found it muc better to stick with the washables and use the liquid and those creams. I know eczema is not quite the same, but it can be allergy related so might be that which is the problem...

Oh, lastly, if the nappies are particularily stained or, about once or twice a month, I wash them all adding the ecover laundry bleach to the powder compartment, it just brightens the inserts up again, and is not actually bleach at all, all natural stuff.

Hope you can give it one more try maybe, with the 'tips' i've given you. Would be a shame woudln't it. I know how you must feel about it. I'd hate to have to go to disposables now. I hate it when for a few days!

HTH

Flibbertyjibbet Sun 07-Sep-08 00:04:51

Has no one recommended the Motherease All In Ones? Poppered. Size large.

I have 2 for sale in the mumsnet classifieds if you would care to take a look grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now