Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How do I get 21 month old to remove pants before using the potty?

(11 Posts)
ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 10:26:06

My son is doing really well with his potty training but he just can't remember/manage to remove his pants before using the potty.

If I leave him with a bare bottom, he just uses the potty as he needs to. If I put pants and trousers on him, he'll pull down the trousers (most of the time) but never manages to pull down his pants and wees through them.

He also won't ask for the potty, just gets on it by himself so if I'm not in the same room I can't grab him and remove his pants for him

Any ideas?

ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 10:36:31

Anyone?

Now that the weather is turning cool and playgroups are back on, I can't leave him with a bare bottom.

Umlellala Wed 03-Sep-08 10:41:16

Our dd was exactly the same - bare bum fine/pants no... she is now fine a month later. I think it's just practise and time. Although I spent some time seeing if she would go on potty while I was on toilet - pointing out my pants round ankles and did hers the same.

Any ideas for how to get her to stop attempting to tip the potty contents in the toilet (and getting them all over the floor)? She knows it's 'naughty' but keeps doing it!! I am trying to catch her before she does it (and persuade her to use toilet too).

ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 10:51:22

My LO used to carry the potty to me and slop the contents all over the floor on route.

We allow him to flush the toilet if he leaves the potty where it is and tells us that he's wee'd. Flushing to loo is a new game so it is working.

How about praising/rewarding her for telling you that the potty needs emptying as doing something naughty is probably her idea of helping you even if the attention it gets is negative.

bubblagirl Wed 03-Sep-08 11:15:00

just l;eave pants off for now i found with my ds took him until few months ago to be able to learn to pull down he is 3.3 and i put loose shorts on no pants undermeath the more confidant he got with the shorts i added pants under even now i just put shorts on

my ds always tipped potty contents into toilet even if did spill on the floor we put old towel down and left him to it eventually his aim became correct

i would never have said its naughty there trying to help and be independant put old towel down thank for the help

my ds is also one not to ask for potty just make sure trousers are loose so not struggling then having accidant by the time there down

loose trousers and pants and practive at home ive just also bought potty training pants waterproof ones from mother care to prevent such accidents so if does wee wont get soaked pants will absorb

but still very young and this will become easier the older he gets my ds has only just grasped properly and is 3 so your ds not even 2 yet and doing so well but still very young to be able to do it all correct

Umlellala Wed 03-Sep-08 12:15:13

flushing loo good idea, thanks.

It is naughty behaviour now because i have thanked her being helpful (and told her she needs to wait) a thousand times. She knows she should come and get me then she can help me. So yes, now i am peed off she is ignoring me (so trying to approach from diff angle so I can praise her and be positive).

HonoriaGlossop Wed 03-Sep-08 13:04:57

agree with leaving pants off! I think he is doing AMAZINGLY well for 21 months old. Don't know anyone personally who 'did' a boy that young. What a star. Make life as easy as poss for that boy I say!

ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 14:30:23

Thanks everyone. I've just been on mothercare to get some of the waterproof training pants so that he can still wear big boy pants to playgroup. I want to avoid anything that resembles a nappy during the day in case he decides to revert..

I guess I'll have to turn the heating up or resign myself to washing a load of his tiny pants each day. They are so small that they dry in no time so it isn't such a big deal really. I just need to be more patient I guess.

LittlePushka Wed 03-Sep-08 21:07:14

Get some little bob builder stickers and wen dressing him sneak on on the inside at the front neat the waistband (so his willy wont rub against it) Whe you get to the potty tell him to see if he can take his pants down and find the sticker.

My Ds was the same and this encouraged him to pull down pants and sit awhile whilst he pulled the sticker off and stuck it to the front of his potty.

Did not have to do it for too long,...just a couple of days. Also works with pants with pictures on if yo wear them inside out. I found this out by accident following careless dressing one morning!

LittlePushka Wed 03-Sep-08 21:08:15

Get some little bob builder stickers and wen dressing him sneak on on the inside at the front neat the waistband (so his willy wont rub against it) Whe you get to the potty tell him to see if he can take his pants down and find the sticker.

My Ds was the same and this encouraged him to pull down pants and sit awhile whilst he pulled the sticker off and stuck it to the front of his potty.

Did not have to do it for too long,...just a couple of days. Also works with pants with pictures on if yo wear them inside out. I found this out by accident following careless dressing one morning!

ajm200 Thu 04-Sep-08 08:32:56

Pushka, thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now