Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I hate prefolds

(21 Posts)
charchargabor Sun 31-Aug-08 16:01:39

I had no money when buying DD's cloth nappies, so went for prefolds. I completely and utterly hate the faff of folding them, and how bulky they are, plus the wraps that came with them are cheap crap. sad I waited for a year to get these, and they're just doing my head in! I've got 3 shaped nappies that the lovely Octo sent me, and they're great, but I can't afford to buy any more.

It's a moot point anyway as she has a yeast nappy rash right now so is in disposables, but I just needed to get that out. Thanks smile

LackaDAISYcal Sun 31-Aug-08 16:15:24

charchar....there are lots of bargains around if you are prepared to buy second hand.

Look on www.usednappies.co.uk

I also have some nappies that I'm selling cheap (I was testing them for a baby mag) if you were interested?

How old is your DD?

CarGirl Sun 31-Aug-08 16:17:24

could you buy some stuffable wraps and use them as stuffing? I have to agree they are not great for bf babies or heavy wetters.

LackaDAISYcal Sun 31-Aug-08 16:43:17

easy peasy do a nappy now called an ecobumble, which is one layer of terry with a fleece lining and a pocket for stuffing. they are selling them for only £3 each so you could use the prefolds for the stuffing. They would still be bulky though and you'd still have to fold!

With wraps, you'd only need a few so your outlay wouldn't be too expensive.

And you could always just but something when you have a bit of spare cash and swap over gradually. That way you are still doing a bit of good using the real nappies.

charchargabor Sun 31-Aug-08 17:43:51

Thanks for answering. DD is 13 months. She's quite a heavy wetter but with solid poos now. I've been doing a pad fold which worked ok. It sounds really pathetic, but I loved how cute cloth nappies look, and mine don't. The wraps are plain white and plasticky. Octo gave me a bambino mio wrap with stars on which I like but she's nearly grown out of it now.

I typed ecobumble into Google but the only thing that came up was this thread and a few on other forums. Thanks for the offer of your nappies Lackadaisycal, but I'm literally broke with no chance of money any time soon. DD just had her birthday and it's DSD's on Tuesday. Think I'll just have to start buying one at a time. <sigh> Thanks again both of you.

CarGirl Sun 31-Aug-08 17:54:57

easypeasynappies

www.easypeasynappies.com/

charchargabor Sun 31-Aug-08 17:55:01

Ok found the ecobumble on the easy peasy website. Really is a bargain isn't it? And btp as well. DP said we may be able to buy a few next month so fingers crossed.

CarGirl Sun 31-Aug-08 17:56:36

it does sound like you just want some funker wraps then, how heavy is your dd?

CarGirl Sun 31-Aug-08 18:00:10

Perhaps you should become a member of cloth nappy addicts website, you have to be a member for a month I think before you can buy/sell on there but it is a small community and a wanted ad is usually well responded to. Plus put a wanted ad on the nappy section here - you need gussetted wraps suitable for pre-folds - there are lots of brands that do nice patterns etc.

charchargabor Sun 31-Aug-08 18:02:05

xposts Cargirl thankyou!

CarGirl Sun 31-Aug-08 18:04:19

this auction for wraps could be good

www.usednappies.co.uk/3-Motherease-Large-Rikki-nappy-wraps--Large-Popowrap,name,23342,auction_id,auc tion_details

charchargabor Sun 31-Aug-08 18:08:29

Sorry that was yet another cross post! I'd really like something that went on a bit easier as well, as DD usually unfolds it whilst I'm taking the last nappy off grin Definitely think I might order some ecobumbles next month if there's any left. Imagine they're going to sell quite quick at that price! DD is almost 20 pounds but is quite slim. Funkier wraps probably would be a good idea tbh. smile

charchargabor Sun 31-Aug-08 18:09:59

Thanks for looking up that auction for me. Unfortunately no money atm, but will look again on there when I get some more money!

CarGirl Sun 31-Aug-08 18:10:32

they sell eco-bumbles all the time, those wraps I've linked too sound promising - I've just asked a question of the seller to clarify exactly what excellent condition means!

Do you have small or medium/large prefolds at the moment?

charchargabor Sun 31-Aug-08 18:19:19

I have medium prefolds atm but God knows how long they'll last. They seem to fit fine now but I don't know enough about cloth to know what a good fit is blush Glad they sell ecobumbles all the time because that's the kind of nappy I really wanted in the first place!

CarGirl Sun 31-Aug-08 20:07:46

those wraps I linked to, the seller has come back and said they are like new - only used a handful of times each - worth a bid? The popolini wraps are as good as motherease IME.

charchargabor Sun 31-Aug-08 20:22:25

Wow, that really is a good auction! Typical, there would be a good one now. DP had a bad month wage-wise. Hopefully another auction like that will come up next month. Thankyou for all the help you've given me! grin

CarGirl Sun 31-Aug-08 20:47:01

you could contact her and ask if she would hold them for a week or so if you use the buy it now option? Only mention it because you said your dd is getting too big for her wraps.

charchargabor Sun 31-Aug-08 21:11:21

I'd have to ask her to hold them til the end of September, so it wouldn't really be fair to expect her to. DD still fits into the cheap crappy ones, it's just the bambino mio one she's growing out of. Never mind, eh?

LackaDAISYcal Sun 31-Aug-08 21:23:01

charchar......some bargains to be had here as well

I use the main site and have also bought some wraps from the sales blog. They have discontinued stock, as well as preloved and ex hire kit stuff. Everything I've bought has been in really good condition.

charchargabor Sun 31-Aug-08 21:43:37

Thanks Daisy. Have added that to my favourites, it's got some great bargains on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: