Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

A question for those of you who use reusable nappies

(33 Posts)
PeppermintPatty Sun 31-Aug-08 15:19:53

How do you dry them?

Do you all have tumble dryers?

DisplacementActivity Sun 31-Aug-08 15:23:50

Message withdrawn

Ceolas Sun 31-Aug-08 15:25:49

tumble/line dry 50/50 depending on weather

PeppermintPatty Sun 31-Aug-08 15:28:01

Ah you have a rack envy

bythepowerofgreyskull Sun 31-Aug-08 15:28:41

put them on the line or airer things..
don't have a tumbler.

PeppermintPatty Sun 31-Aug-08 15:31:29

I been considering using reuseables for a while now.
But I worry about drying them (no tumble dryer) so I never get round to it.

PeppermintPatty Sun 31-Aug-08 15:34:07

I haven't been able to dry my washing outside for most of this summer (or last summer come to think of it) cos of shite weather. It's either raining or looks like it might start to rain.
I'm sick of having clothes drying all over the house. And they take ages to dry (useless I put heating on which I refuse to do in summer!).

DisplacementActivity Sun 31-Aug-08 15:35:13

Message withdrawn

Dotsie Sun 31-Aug-08 15:41:02

I haven't got a tumble drier and i manage fine - i use a line outside (providing it isn't piddling down!) or airers in the bathroom. i used to have a dolly rack(?) (one of those airers that hangs from the ceiling with rope & pulley system to raise/lower it), and used to sling nappies over that, pegging them together with clothes pegs to make long "chains"! could dry loads that way. I had 2 in terries for about 4 months until dd potty trained (autumn/winter) and had no probs.
Hope this reassures you and you get round to using reuseables.

Dotsie Sun 31-Aug-08 15:42:21

i've heard a fan or dehumidifier can speed up drying times, although i haven't tried this...

NorkyButNice Sun 31-Aug-08 15:46:41

We use pockets - the outer bits get dried on an airer, and the inserts go in the tumble dryer. This is only because we live in a flat at the moment, with no outside space and no radiators, so the inserts would take too long to dry.

We're moving soon to a house with garden, so hopefully will be able to dry it all on the line outside.

PeppermintPatty Sun 31-Aug-08 16:03:51

You see we haven't got the space for lots of airers.
At the moment I have one airer in the bedroom which is always in use. I don't know where we'd put another one.

FrannyandZooey Sun 31-Aug-08 16:06:53

have one airer thing
plus use fluffles which dry very fast

CarGirl Sun 31-Aug-08 16:08:32

same as other washing hung around the house, probably tumble dry anything 5% of the time - ie when it's cold, been raining for weeks and have run out of drying space!

onepieceoflollipop Sun 31-Aug-08 16:12:38

I have a dryer but hate tumble drying nappies - or anything else for that - as imo it kind of defeats the ethical aspect of them - also I hate spending more money on electric. I have 2 clothes horse type airers. The large one easily holds a load of nappies - say 12 nappies plus washable wipes, wraps, etc.

However with this awful weather it can take 24-36 hours to get them dry. I do turn them round every few hours on the airers this seems to help. I might finish them off in the dryer if desperate (would not put heating on to dry them in the "Summer") but I don't put them straight from washing machine into dryer until completely dry.

LetThemEatCake Sun 31-Aug-08 20:13:34

don't have a tumble drier. Agree fluffles brill for fast drying, avoid bamboozles, take forever!

Nappyzoneneedssleep Sun 31-Aug-08 20:16:52

I use mostly pockets, the outer drys ina few ours and the insert generally overnight, if it doesnt then 20 mins inthe dryer would finishe them off or a day in the airing cupboard so a tumbler not essential really.

Without a dryer i would advise not to consider hemp or bamboo and to consider pockets or microfibre/ cotton or other material shaped nappies, terry squares would dry quickly, even the bamboo ones in comparison to bamboo shaped.

smile

Gingerbear Sun 31-Aug-08 20:17:53

line dry or airer in the house - pocket nappies dry fast.

LackaDAISYcal Sun 31-Aug-08 20:18:14

we have those airers that hang off the radiators and I peg the nappies to them to maximise space. Only tumble dry when absolutely necessary as well.....which lately has been A LOT <wanders off muttering about the bloody weather>

Nappyzoneneedssleep Sun 31-Aug-08 20:33:24

sorry a few hours blush

I have an airer i wedge over the bath but fancy some fancypants ones to go on the rads Lacka envy

LackaDAISYcal Sun 31-Aug-08 20:35:01

£5ish for a pack of two in Sainsbury's 'Zone...go knock youself out wink

Nappyzoneneedssleep Sun 31-Aug-08 20:36:55

oooooooooooooo i dont even know where our sainsburys is round her lol! big sainsburys i take it......

LackaDAISYcal Sun 31-Aug-08 20:44:10

local store not that big, but they have them everywhere really. It's nothing fancy, they just hook over the radiator like these

They will probably sell them in Asda and tesco among other shops. the shop formerly known a poundstretchers sell them too.

Nappyzoneneedssleep Sun 31-Aug-08 20:52:28

oooooooo i fell a spend coming on ! that said my ds/monster would take great delight hanging of them!

MummyToOneForNow Sun 31-Aug-08 20:52:43

have never owned a tumble drier - use an airer in the house most of the time or the line on a good day outside. Use mostly motherease one size which open out flat (Totsbots/little lamb types have gathered elastic round legs which slow the drying down)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now