Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Reusable wipes - advice please!

(34 Posts)
Yorkiegirl Sat 19-Feb-05 18:32:08

Message withdrawn

Demented Sat 19-Feb-05 18:41:50

Yorkiegirl I have no specific recipes but used cloth wipes very successfully with DS2 (if you are short of face cloths IKEA used to do a pack of 10 for a couple of quid). When I first started I used to make up some camomile tea and pour it over folded wipes in a box (a plastic Pampers/Johnsons wipes box is ideal). As time went on I got a bit lazy and just ran a couple of wipes under some warm water and used those.

Saved a fortune!

beansontoast Sat 19-Feb-05 18:57:07

we got by with flannels [ikea pack}..
but when his bottom was sore i found sponge to be more gentle.[i dont know what your vciews are on chemical sponges but those circular ones from boots that are ROCK hard when dry were really gentle ]

poo lifts off like a dream.

Yorkiegirl Sat 19-Feb-05 19:16:44

Message withdrawn

Yorkiegirl Sat 19-Feb-05 21:38:14

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Sat 19-Feb-05 21:40:35

We had a fab pack of reuasable fleece wipes (with their own little holder) - so cure; in bright pink floral amterial Have only had them recently, so not used them on anyone other than a 2yo. We just dampen them with water and put them ina plastic bag, inside holder, when going out. Keeps them nice and wet and ready to use.

My mum and my MIL have both just shaken their heads and used the "we just used flannels" line though - but these do look great!

Yorkiegirl Sat 19-Feb-05 21:41:18

Message withdrawn

frogs Sat 19-Feb-05 21:56:32

Can I have extra brownie points for making my own cloth wipes? I cut squares from an old brushed cotton sheet that had gone in the middle, and finished the edges on the sewing machine in zigzag stitch -- different colours for faces and bottoms.

My ghast is always flabbered when I see what they charge for disposable wipes in the shops -- and people pay that?

<<Smug and wholesome emoticon>>

Yorkiegirl Sat 19-Feb-05 22:01:07

Message withdrawn

frogs Sat 19-Feb-05 22:57:11

Sorry, Yorkiegirl, I've only just recovered from doing my own. I now have a very overdue order from ds for a knight's outfit (metallic fabric = fake armour kind of thing), which is clogging up my production line...

KatieMac Sat 19-Feb-05 23:05:38

I'm interested in this - as a childminder I go thro' tonnes of wipes.

But Ofsted says we have to use named flannels for each child and named towels.

I can just see me with piles of named bits of muslin/flannels for nappy changes....not sure how that would work.

I keep suggesting to my Mums that reusable nappies would be nice...but don't get very positive results

alux Sat 19-Feb-05 23:14:26

a friend's recipe: cooled chamomile tea with a teaspoon or so of an unscented oil like almond or olive plus a couple drops of lavender oil. I'm trying that one when dd gets here.

alux Sat 19-Feb-05 23:31:01

here are two websites for the intrepid who are willing to make their own reusable wipes

here

and

here

follow the links to find flannels,fleeces and/or crafts.

bobbybob Sat 19-Feb-05 23:32:01

Packet of face cloths, run 1 under tap just before nappy comes off - lovely, never felt the need to do anything more complicated.

Interesting about Ofsted katiemac. My aunt runs a nursery in NZ and just has a large pile of face clothes in 2 colours (hand and face or bottoms). They get used once, washed and tumble dried. We tend to use cold water to wash in here, but she may boil them. Is the named thing just if you are going to use a towel say more than once, because surely they all get washed together...

alux Sat 19-Feb-05 23:41:34

since these websites have patterned fleeces you can use as wipes (no hemming required) one pattern for one child hence no need to name them. I can see children reminding you 'that is not mine' if you make a mistake.

KatieMac Sat 19-Feb-05 23:41:57

I must investigate further - I wouldn't use a face flannel on more than one child......Hmm

eidsvold Sun 20-Feb-05 10:04:51

ohh I use what are called Chux robusts - cut into about eight or so per cloth ( cleaning cloth we get here in Aus) sure there is a UK equivalent can't remember what it is. Jaycloths - just look for the strongest ones you can get. My SIL sent me some chux cloths when I lived in the UK. I use them with two in nappies. She also used them for her two along with the recipe below.

using my big wipes container - 2 cups boiling water, two tablespoons baby wash, one tablespoon grapeseed/olive oil

put wipes into the container and when cool use as needed. I just put them in a lingerie washbag ( you know white net ones) and in the nappy pail - wash with the nappies.

Hope that helps.

Yorkiegirl Sun 20-Feb-05 13:11:59

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Sun 20-Feb-05 16:22:22

Yorkiegirl - got my reuasable wipes from one of the MO sponsors. Can't remember her business's name right now! I know a lot of the reusable nappy sites sell similar though. Only £5 for 5 (or 6?) wipes and the holder.

Yes, think I am going to try cloth if and when we have #2

pootlepod Sun 20-Feb-05 16:34:04

I bought nappy lady wipes I know you can easily make your own but I really couldn't be bothered

Must admit I wanted wipe looking ones as I use flannels for face and hands and like them separate. I got 4 flannels for £1.50 from primark and added a few dark coloured old ones I already had.

KatieMac could you do something similar even if it's just for faces? You could get different colours for each child? Have to admit if I was a childminder I would send the used disposables home with the child! One of the reasons I use cloth is that I don't have a full smelly bin of them.

musicmaker Sun 20-Feb-05 16:46:01

Wow!

I do not know any mums who do this!

You all must be very organised - don't think I would of managed to do that for along time.

I did use cotton wool pads and water for 6 months but found it hard when out on the move and slowly replaced it with perfume free wipes.

Is the main reason you do this for the environment or are nappy wipes actually bad for babies.

I think I will try this with my next baby because I know I will be more organised.

I like the idea of placing flannels in a pampers wipes box and pouring camomile tea over them

Yorkiegirl Sun 20-Feb-05 17:25:28

Message withdrawn

misdee Sun 20-Feb-05 18:00:27

i use the flannels from ikea with 'tags' on. think you get about 10 per pack. need to buy some more as they have been scattered all over the place and am finding it hard tracking them down.

lunavix Sun 20-Feb-05 19:43:35

I'd love to have reusable wipes, but I'm having problems finding fleece to make my own liners as it is!
Wish I lived near an Ikea...

I love the idea of fleece on one side, towelling on the other, saw them once on ebay, but haven't seen them since

alux Sun 20-Feb-05 19:59:12

luvanix - below are 2 websites where you can buy your own flannels to make your own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now