Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Am I causing problems if I delay toilet training if DS showing signs of readiness?

(9 Posts)
rookiemater Fri 29-Aug-08 21:25:55

After a couple of months of unsuccessfully trying to get DS to sit on the potty I was completely taken aback when this evening he came through and said "Poo". Thinking he had done one I brought him through to the bathroom to change him only to discover he hadn't done one, but instead wanted to poo on the toilet ( we have a small seat that goes on top).

Very excited about this as DS is 2.6 so if he wants to train himself with little effort from me, then fantastic. However we are going on holiday tomorrow to Cornwall and Devon which will involve a lot of driving, so really now isn't ideal to follow through with no nappies.

Do you think I will miss the window, if I wait until we come back, or do you think it will be ok ?

forkhandles Fri 29-Aug-08 21:37:08

It will be fine if you wait until you get back! If it were me I would probably take a potty or seat with me so he can use it if he wants to again but still keep him in pull ups until you get back and have the time to do it properly.

rookiemater Fri 29-Aug-08 21:38:39

Ok I will pack portable potty. He is still in nappies, do you think we should change to pull ups or keep to nappies ?

Heated Fri 29-Aug-08 21:44:46

Pull-ups are good to practise exactly what they say, pulling up and down, but don't use them at night as they aren't as 'leak-proof' as other nappies ime.

Yep wait til after the holiday if doing a lot of driving.

rookiemater Fri 29-Aug-08 21:46:39

Ok will pack potty and a few pull ups for quiet times, but keep in the swim nappies just in case grin have already had one poo in the bath this week already.

littleducks Fri 29-Aug-08 21:49:39

i delayed potty training dd by a couple of months as i didnt think it would be a good idea to have to it just before ds was born, caused no problems

imaginaryfriend Fri 29-Aug-08 21:52:03

I'd go for it in a relaxed way. When he offers to do it himself, let him, and if that becomes more often than not, just go for it.

Heated Fri 29-Aug-08 21:55:01

If he is pooing in the bath he might not be as ready as you hope.

ches Sat 30-Aug-08 03:12:38

The only advantage of pull-ups over nappies is they're easier to get on/off when they ask for the loo. They're great for a child-led, gentle approach to potty training. Not all children are adaptable and deal with the sudden switch to underwear very well. I'd keep him in nappies and put him on the loo (or point him at a tree) when he asks. Have a good holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now