Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

leaky disposables

(29 Posts)
kuta Fri 29-Aug-08 19:43:57

anyone else has problems with leaky nappies? my little one is normally in cloth but with a huggie/papmer at night. now has bad nappy rash so we use evil huggies all the time and they leak like there's no tomorrow! even at night, which wasn't an issue before. same size, same nappies, nothing has changed and one day started waking up in the morning in big brown mess? any ideas why?

BigBadMousey Fri 29-Aug-08 19:46:09

thats what disposables do IME. Plonk a wrap over the top and see if that does the job - works for us (we use airflows which are bombproof)

kuta Fri 29-Aug-08 19:49:21

good idea - thanks!

Seona1973 Fri 29-Aug-08 19:57:59

I didnt like huggies at all and have always used pampers. Are you using the biggest nappy for your lo's size? - the nappy sizes overlap so you may still be within the weight of the smaller nappy but at the start of the weight for the next size. As you move up the sizes you get more absorbancy so less likely to leak.

kuta Fri 29-Aug-08 20:00:36

i thought it was the smaller the better, but i'll give the bigger ones a go

RedHead81 Fri 29-Aug-08 20:06:04

why are you using them for nappy rash?
IME cloth are better for preventing nappy rash than plastic chemical filled disposables (as long as they are changed frequently). Why don't you try your LO in cloth at night too - use a bit of sudocrem or metanium for the rash and leave nappies off as often as possible and try to stick to cloth. (thats what I'd do anyway)

But I find that disposables leak too (more than cloth anyway)

kuta Fri 29-Aug-08 20:24:14

yea i know but she's had a nasty nappy rash for 2 weeks now - her bottom almost peeled off. and everyone's advice was to change to disposables...she spends most of the time with no nappy on anyway, but it doesn't make much difference. maybe i should go back to cloth now, she won't be in nursery for 4 days, i can change her every 1.5h...
but at night i found she wakes up frequently cause she's wet. with disposable she sleeps 12h straight...
i don't know - we had a bit of a rough time lately: tummy bug, teething, endless nappy rash. and i'm going back to work next week! all a bit hectic!

BigBadMousey Fri 29-Aug-08 20:26:35

Kuta - if you decide to go back to cloth try a fleece liner at night works for my DS - he hates being wet!

Mimsy2000 Fri 29-Aug-08 20:29:53

whenever my ds disposable nappies consistently leak it means he needs the next size up. also, i think pampers active fit [the purple ones] fit better.

also a bit of unsolicited advice, but metanium is brilliant for nappy rash.

good luck

kuta Fri 29-Aug-08 20:30:46

i have a couple of fleece liners but i find that the poo just doesnt come off them - it's gross! and my husband has the pleasure of the first morning nappy, i think he might struggle...

kuta Fri 29-Aug-08 20:33:16

mimsy200 - tried metanium, no effect. i tried everything! it is much better though and hopefully she'll stop teething soon and the whole thing will resolve itself...

RedHead81 Fri 29-Aug-08 20:36:08

Yes metanium is fab (only needed it once - because of a bit of thrush) - was told it really stains though, but it didn't stain our cloth nappies.

Can fleece liners be boiled? If any of my nappies get stained with poo i just chuck the stained ones on a short boil wash. Also hold the nappy / liner in the toilet and flush it gets most off

Mimsy2000 Fri 29-Aug-08 20:37:21

wow metanium didn't work- yikes. hope things continue to improve.

RedHead81 Fri 29-Aug-08 20:37:22

have you tried ashton and parsons powders for teething? They're great for upset tummy at teething time

kuta Fri 29-Aug-08 20:42:24

i tried some teething granules but she was having none of it. i think she's rather be miserable. and i think she did have a bug on top, all the kids in nursery have been pooing. not helping the nappy rash

justaboutagrownup Fri 29-Aug-08 20:45:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kuta Fri 29-Aug-08 20:48:12

we've done a week of clotrimazole. didn't want to go down the steroid route

justaboutagrownup Fri 29-Aug-08 20:48:52

kuta Fri 29-Aug-08 20:53:25

for future reference - there is this cream called desitin. you can get it on line from america and oz. it has fish oil and other usual stuff in it. i only put it on once (friend with baby visited from oz) and it was MAGIC. my mother-in-law is bringing it over soon - i hope it continous to be amazing

kuta Fri 29-Aug-08 20:54:41

not sure how to spell continous - am a forigner!

foxythesnowfox Fri 29-Aug-08 21:02:23

I found Lidl nappies fab. Prefer them to Pampers, they don't have that cold, full, jelly effect. Lightly beaten egg-white brushed over is meant to be good.

Lacksadaisycal had this problem with nappy rash and real nappies. I will find her and send her over smile

kuta Fri 29-Aug-08 21:02:48

looks like a good movie starting on more4.

thanks for all the advice ladies!

justaboutagrownup Fri 29-Aug-08 21:03:15

foxythesnowfox Fri 29-Aug-08 21:03:19

egg white is meant to be good for nappy rash. not as an alternative to leaky disposables. Doh!

LackaDAISYcal Fri 29-Aug-08 21:25:51

hi there smile. not sure I'll be a lot of help as we have had nappy rash issues since DD was 16 weeks old and whatever we try only wors for a few days and then it comes back again. We have phases of cloth and dispos and not much makes a difference. Bepanthen is good at creating a barrier and we have been having a bit of success with that recently, but tbh the only thing that really clears it up is a steroid cream (it also spreads to her thighs), although I don't like using it too often.

However, I have recently stopped using baby wipes and have been using just water and flannels/soft kitchen paper to wipe her up and it seems to be helping. I've been recommended lots of creams to try as well (if you check out the Real nappy chat thread in this topic you'll find the references).

Re diposable nappies, the best ones I've used are Tesco own brand. They don't have the awful smell that pampers give off, and unlike a lot of disposable nappies are elasticated across the back which seems to help with containment.

anyway, hope you found something useful in that smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now