Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Something a bit more absorbent than Bimbles but won't break the bank?

(17 Posts)
Ceolas Fri 29-Aug-08 16:37:37

I'm finding the beloved Bimbles aren't lasting much more than an hour or so at the moment. I'm boosting them which is working OK for just now.

We'll be needing size 2's sometime soon (she's 1 year tomorrow!) and I'm not sure whether to get more Bimbles or something more absorbent. I like the fleece lining and the nippa fastening rather than aplix. Suppose I could add a fleece liner to just about anything though hmm

Ceolas Fri 29-Aug-08 16:38:14

Oh cost v. important. Don't want to spend a fortune.

BigBadMousey Fri 29-Aug-08 20:14:29

[[ http://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/acatalog/Bambeasy.html Bambeasy?]] - 'tis the same beast but bamboo. Will take longer to dry than your bimbles though.

bamboo loveable? (scroll down - I think the bambeasy would be a bit better though (and not much more expensive) Not fleece lined but is nippa fit

[[http://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/acatalog/Bamboo_Nappies.html sandy's bamboo (scroll down a bit more!) my favourite so I had to add them grin bit costly but worth it if you can afford them. Not fleece lined and popper fit but excellent nevertheless grin

If you need something quicker drying than bamboo then there is the little lamb microfibre (this is a good deal btw) - velcro fit though and you'll need to use your own fleece liner

the last remaining fluffles here on offer - nippa, fleece lined like a bumble but microfibre and more bulky.

All that said, you'll find your size 2 far more absorbant than your size 1 currently are but the liklihood is that when your DD reaches the upper end of the scale for the size 2 you'll get the same problem again. IME it is hard to get older girls clothes to fit over a well boosted cloth nappy so bear that in mind.

hth

BigBadMousey Fri 29-Aug-08 20:17:43

try again (silly links!)

Bambeasy? - 'tis the same beast but bamboo. Will take longer to dry than your bimbles though.

bamboo loveable? (scroll down) - I think the bambeasy would be a bit better though (and not much more expensive) Not fleece lined but is nippa fit

sandy's bamboo? (scroll down a bit more!) my favourite so I had to add them bit costly but worth it if you can afford them. Not fleece lined and popper fit but excellent nevertheless

If you need something quicker drying than bamboo then there is the little lamb microfibre (this is a good deal btw) - velcro fit though and you'll need to use your own fleece liner

the last remaining fluffles here on offer - nippa, fleece lined like a bumble but microfibre and more bulky.

All that said, you'll find your size 2 far more absorbant than your size 1 currently are but the liklihood is that when your DD reaches the upper end of the scale for the size 2 you'll get the same problem again. IME it is hard to get older girls clothes to fit over a well boosted cloth nappy so bear that in mind.

hth

Ceolas Fri 29-Aug-08 21:38:39

Thanks, bbm

Do you know if tots bots organics would be any more absorbent? They say size 2 is suitable from tiny if nippa fastening but I don't know how it works out in practice.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 29-Aug-08 21:51:52

the lovely people at easy peasy now do a size 2 budget nappy which is terry outside, fleece inner, but with a pocket for stuffing/boosting.....and i think you could probably use your size 1 bimbles for stuffing. Might get a bit bulky though! they sell them through their ebay shop at five for £15.

I've been testing the new totsbots flexitots and they have been fantastic, overnight as well as in the day. Their blurb states that they will hold 750ml of liquid, where leading dispos only hold about 550ml. They are velcro fastening though and the tabs don't cross over, but my petite 14mo DD was fine with them. I think they are about £9 each so not too pricey and the bamboo velour is lovely against LOs skin.

Bambinex bamboo could be another option, very absorbant yet slim fitting, and the nippa version can be tucked in quite small with the front folded down to suit. They take a while to dry though and I found that they don't wick the wee to other parts of the nappy terribly well so can leak between the legs (although I think this might improve with repeated washing, mine are pretty new still)

Nappyzoneneedssleep Fri 29-Aug-08 21:54:48

Yes i would second bambinex bamboo - i think falem might still have some old labelled ones in stock, i have some newer ones in butthe older labelled ones are a bargain if youcan get them.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 29-Aug-08 21:56:57

I had one tots organic size 1 and found it to be very absorbant, but again a long time to dry.

With the nippa, you would just fold the front down to adjust the rise so it should be OK at the smaller end of the scale, although the sewn in booster might cause a bit of bulkiness at the front.

Have you considered pocket nappies? bumgenius V3 have two inserts so should be pretty absorbant. I've got a couple of V2s and get three hours out of them between changes. Not cheap though at £14 each.

Ceolas Fri 29-Aug-08 22:08:04

Yes the price puts me off pockets, tbh...

needaholiday Fri 29-Aug-08 22:09:26

have you considered a kiwi quick flip? they're only 5.99 and the wraps are too. Most absorbent and reliable nappy we've tried, plus they're generous size wise too. May be worth a look?

LackaDAISYcal Fri 29-Aug-08 22:19:35

I did have a kiwi kwik flip lite and it was good in that it folds out completely for drying, but once folded up there are six layers of absorbency. Mine was a flannellette one though which wasn't so good for stain repellancy. Again, you can buy them on ebay through Little Kiwi's ebay shop although they have only got one nappy listed at the minute.

ReallyTired Sat 30-Aug-08 08:52:03

Why don't you had a couple of boosters to your Bimbles. I used to do that with my son's tot bots at night.

Tatties Sat 30-Aug-08 09:50:59

Ceolas, I have a bumble you can have if you like? It is used but good condition. CAT me if you are interested (or I could message you on Ravelry if that's easier)

Ceolas Mon 08-Sep-08 11:30:54

Even with boosting she's now out-weeing them within 2 hours. shock

I got a couple of bumgenius and they've been good, but at £14 each I can't afford many more just now.

Bumble was good (thanks tatties!) so I might try and pick up a few more.

Still thinking about the little lamb microfibre. Have heard rumours of 'microfibre stink'. Any experience of this? hmm

BigBadMousey Mon 08-Sep-08 15:16:01

Yes, it's very common. Some DCs sre more prone to having the kind of wee that causes it than others but it is made much worse by not drying them properly (they can feel dry on the outside but aren't quite inside) and leaving them in the pail for too long. I wouldn't rule microfibre out just because of this though - I much prefer bamboo though because it is thinner fitting and nicely absorbant. What drying facilities do you have? Bambeasies (bamboo bumble) is absorbant and a good design.

Ceolas Mon 08-Sep-08 16:25:05

I have a tumble drier but prefer to hang out if possible. Not much room for rack/airer inside.

Never tried a bambeasy hmm

BigBadMousey Mon 08-Sep-08 17:26:51

bambeasies well worth a look. Best in the popper fastening as the nippas can shred the bamboo over time.

I realise the price is quite high though and you wanted cheaper options but I think they would be a much better option for you than the LL MF which is £2 per nappy cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now