Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

So, it's day 1 of attempt 2 and it's knickers 4, potty 0...

(39 Posts)
SoupDragon Fri 29-Aug-08 11:48:41

Why can't children work it out themselves in the same way they learn to walk and talk??

[weeps]

I hate potty training.

sagitta Fri 29-Aug-08 11:58:46

Me too.

DD1 pretty much sorted now - apart from at night - but unfortunately is hooked on chocolate button bribes.

All in all, it has been a very messy business. Especially last night as I was scooping a poo out of the very last pull-up we had, at bedtime, so that she could wear it to bed. blush

(I did find another old small nappy in the end)

So you have my sympathy.

SoupDragon Fri 29-Aug-08 12:01:25

Oh, that's quality parenting! I remember having to surreptitiously pick out poo from DS2's nappy at baby clinic once because I'd not bought a clean one.

I'm actually thinking of leaving her in the company of the cats for a fortnight so they can teach her to use the litter tray.

sagitta Fri 29-Aug-08 12:12:11

grin

I love the cats idea. Or even just the idea of leaving a potty-training toddler in the company of - well anybody apart from me, really.

fymandbean Fri 29-Aug-08 12:17:01

I found knickers off worked best with DS - do you have hard floors or carpets?

With him pants felt like nappies so he would wee without thinking whereas wet legs/feet were a bit of an eye opener for him...

SoupDragon Fri 29-Aug-08 12:24:08

Ah, but knickers catch poo. Wet floors/carpets I can deal with, cowpats I can not.

With DSs I arrived at their nursery 1 day with a bag of extra clothes and told them they were potty training. This meant that the, quite frankly more experienced, nursery staff did the difficult first 2 days. However, with DD I want to get her at least partially trained before the school run starts again on Tuesday!

sagitta Fri 29-Aug-08 12:34:40

Nursery staff pretty much cracked it for me too. Which is why she's dry in the day - and not at night.

Do they do boarding school nurseries, I wonder?

Any idea how I get the night thing sorted? My sil gets up and wakes her ds up to go for a wee, but I have a 3mo baby and the last thing I want to do is get up at night for 2 dcs...

ajm200 Fri 29-Aug-08 12:36:51

My son did better with no pants to begin with.

Then with pants, he'd sit on the potty and wee through them

Started to get the hang of it and was 99.9 sorted in daytime but has had a very upset tummy for the last few days (after eating berries in the garden while I nipped to the loo - I'm such a bad mum blush)

He's back in nappies. Normally, he'd cry and fuss to get rid of the nappies or sit on the potty with his nappy on if he couldn't remove it but seems to prefer nappies while he's ill and has ignored the potty

3littlefrogs Fri 29-Aug-08 12:38:25

I always took mine for a wee when I went to bed myself. Even I couldn't "not go" for 10 or 11 hours, and my bladder is bigger than their's!

SoupDragon Fri 29-Aug-08 12:39:02

I just left DSs until they had dry pull ups in the morning and asked to wear ordinary pants to bed [lazy]. No sense rushing these things until they're ready and it's apparently not considered a problem before they're 7 or so. Both DSs were night trained before they turned 4 despite my laziness.

DD has now fallen asleep on the sofa wearing only knickers. I've managed to carry her up to her bed and sneak a nappy on top of the knickers!!

sagitta Fri 29-Aug-08 12:42:08

Thanks! I can't quite bear the thought of waking dd up, so I think I'll go with Soup's parenting style...laziness is right up my street.

sashasmama Fri 29-Aug-08 14:16:05

hi there

i am on attempt two as well. we live in bangkok, and when we went back to MIL's house in the UK, she was weeing all over the carpets so it was back to nappies full time whilst we were there. it's back to hard floors now and thank goodness for that. we live in central bangkok and move around by public transport a lot, i put her in pull ups when we go out and she always wets them. i know what people are saying about the confusion and i totally agree but i also don't know what else to do. Thai people are very particular about cleanliness, and it's not possible to get to a loo when we are on the skytrain! she also once weed on the floor of a taxi and i didn't have enough thai to apologise enough so left a massive tip!!

as a result she too consistently wets her knickers first before she is aware of the movement, so she always ends up doing half of it in the pants and the other half in the pot... i really don't know what to do to remedy this. she will go when i ask her to potty, and she mostly manages to do number twos in the loo too. i guess number ones creep up on her and give less warning... but i am tearing my hair out and losing my rag at her when i know i shouldn't... when oh when will she ever get the hang of not wetting her pants / floor first?... some days i wash her entire collection of knickers by half four and she ends up half naked by dinner time!

she is two and a half...

sashasmama Fri 29-Aug-08 14:18:33

oh and i know i will go really mental if we are to stay at home for a week to train... have anyone done that before?

SoupDragon Fri 29-Aug-08 14:36:38

Pants 5 Potty 0 [sob]

I have no advice. I should know how to do this seeing as it's my 3rd child. she's also 2 and a half.

[wail]

SoupDragon Fri 29-Aug-08 15:04:51

Pants 6 potty 0

[head in hands]

CuckooSplodgeandTubs Fri 29-Aug-08 15:12:05

Stick with it soup. Go to primark and buy more knickers and jogging pants for her to merrily wee in to . She will eventually think, euw. feel a bit yuck.

Thisis hideous,but next time, don't rush to change it INSTANTLY. Let her sit in it for five minutes. Just to hammer home the mssg.

OR........ put a pair of pull up pants on over her clothes. That way, it saves the buggy, car seat, furniture! BUT hopefully she'll still feel uncomfortable enough to think 'ho hum odn't like this'.

I have one to PT and he's nowehere near ready yet. At nearly 3. What a prodigy hmm grin

SoupDragon Fri 29-Aug-08 15:29:07

These are Primark pants (10 for £2.50!) . I have to change them right away since she is at least coming to tell me they're wet (which is a step up from the last attempt when DS1 had to come and tell me she'd weed on his feet hmm

As it happens, she had a nappy over the knickers for nap time. did she make any complain about the wet pants? no. Was the nappy sodden? Yes. [sigh]

She was a f-ing nightmare to wean too...

ajm200 Fri 29-Aug-08 15:36:23

Stick with it.. it is frustrating but you'll see the funny side when it's over.

My son started out weeing on the potty fine but would also give himself a round of applause if he wee'd on the carpet too.

A few days ago, he took to carrying to potty to me when he'd done. At the weekend, he brought the potty to me and announced "wee-wee all gone." I asked him where it has gone. He replied, "there it is and pointed at the carpet. I then realised he'd spilled it in little drips the full length of the front room and dining room. We'd spent an hour cleaning the carpets wih a rug doctor the day before... hmm

CuckooSplodgeandTubs Fri 29-Aug-08 15:36:45

Oh boy! I see what you're up against.

SoupDragon Fri 29-Aug-08 15:54:57

Pants 7 Potty 0

ajm200 Fri 29-Aug-08 16:24:31

How frustrating for you sad

Have you tried the gradual approach. Putting her on the potty for a few mins after meals and leaving her in nappies the rest of the day.

Make a big fuss when she uses the potty so that she gets the idea that she can/should, then moving onto pants all day long?

SoupDragon Fri 29-Aug-08 16:46:15

Sadly, DD is not a gradual child!

I think just need to grit my teeth and push on. It's only Day 1! [false jollity]

ajm200 Fri 29-Aug-08 16:47:11

Good luck... I hope she gets it soon.

SoupDragon Fri 29-Aug-08 17:00:28

Thanks.

Now, this is why I think she knows exactly what is required and is more than capable of doing it:

BabyDragon: Fill my water can up!
Me: If you sit on the potty and have a wee I'll fill your watering can up
BabyDragon: OK.

Sits on potty, wees and says "there you go, I wee, now water can."

Still, Pants 7 Potty 1 at last

ajm200 Fri 29-Aug-08 17:02:10

Oh.. sounds like bribery might work then. A sticker chart and some glittery, girly stickers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now