Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Toilet trained 3yo, soiling his pull ups nearly every morning

(14 Posts)
Neeerly3 Fri 29-Aug-08 11:19:21

Good morning all - make sure you are not eating and continue reading!

My 3.5yo DS is dry in the day - we think a long way from being dry at night so consequently he's in Pull Ups at night. Most mornings he wakes us at about 6am to say he's pooed in his pants. We never tell him off, just ask what happened and he says it was an accident....

This morning, I happened to wake before his early morning call and heard him singing to himself, awake in his bed, so thought, oh good he's woke today, maybe he'll take himself to the toilet.....nope.....10 mins later trots in, "mummy, i pooed my pants, was an accident".....

I think my question is, can anyone think WHY? we have the odd morning when he doesn't and theres much praise and kisses and cuddles, but next day, does it again.

I will point out he has a twin who is dry day and night and no poo accidents at all. Also his poo's do seem loose - is he perhaps caught unawares every morning, maybe thinks he's having a little trump but is in fact having a 'movement'! Bless him! I think my main concern is that he appears to be awake when he does this so is appearing to be lazy because he has his big boy pants on (pull ups)....any ideas greatly received (I am expecting DC3 in feb and want to move them both into proper beds before then as we are using one of their cot beds for new arrival)

Neeerly3 Fri 29-Aug-08 11:35:58

bump

SoupDragon Fri 29-Aug-08 11:39:04

Why? Probably because he can and it involves no effort.

There's no reason you can't move them to proper beds before they're trained at night though. Both DSs were in mid height loft beds before being trained.

SoupDragon Fri 29-Aug-08 11:39:56

I assume he doesn't do it when he's in ordinary pants in the day?

Neeerly3 Fri 29-Aug-08 11:42:00

nope, no poo's in the day....however if we take the pull ups off, he will wet the bed during the night instead, so a bit of catch 22 - do I just roll with it, until he's dry at night?

bubblagirl Fri 29-Aug-08 11:42:36

my ds is 3.3 and wees in potty and poos in pants some children just take longer to poo on toilet

if its quite loose it might just creep up and he knows he has nappy on so is easier to just do it

my ds is petrified of pooing anywhere but a pull up or nappy he hates it

my ds has been in a bed since 19 mths old and all is well not trained at night but makes no difference you can move into beds regardless you can get mnattress protectors and bed mats

bubblagirl Fri 29-Aug-08 11:44:08

im a twin i have twin brother i was dry before him and he got ther ein the end some children just dont get there until much older its no big deal its all to do with hormone kicking in telling them they need to go

im in no rush to get my ds dry at night it'll happen when his body is ready

Neeerly3 Fri 29-Aug-08 11:45:25

sorry, should have explained - he's in a bed, but its a toddler bed, so we were moving them to proper singles before baby arrives, so we could used their cot beds as a cot again.

I wanted to wait until they were both dry to save ruining the mattress, but guess we could get water proof covers for DT1.

Bubblagirl, he poo's happily in the toilet during the day, no fear of it as far as i know.

Neeerly3 Fri 29-Aug-08 11:46:37

i am not worried about him being wet at night, like you say, all down to hormones, but feel this pooing early morning is different as he is awake and is knowingly doing it.

SoupDragon Fri 29-Aug-08 11:46:40

TBH, I'd just roll with it. Carry on encouraging/rewarding success. I'm from the Lazy Arse School of Parenting though!

Neeerly3 Fri 29-Aug-08 11:50:30

oh god so am i! especially with 2! (and number 3 on way!)

bubblagirl Fri 29-Aug-08 11:53:44

it could just be a case that he knows nappy is there and just does it might wake up in need and just goes

now my ds i have the problem as he ahtes it we have to go through a list of family members who poo lol

we have great protective mattress cover and to be honest no wet beds yet nappy seems to hold it all

jelliebelly Fri 29-Aug-08 12:19:59

I think it probably just comes down to laziness to be honest - ds is just the same (he will be 3 in a couple of weeks). He wears a normal Pampers nappy at night though so that holds all the wee/poo necessary. Am hoping that eventually he will just grow out of it smile

Neeerly3 Fri 29-Aug-08 13:42:55

<<is busying herself writing a rota for her and DH to share the early morning "movements"!>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now