Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Potty training all summer holidays and still having accidents..........

(10 Posts)
npg1 Thu 28-Aug-08 22:50:44

Hi. DD2 was 2 on monday, started pot training beginning of summer holidays, so 6 weeks ago. She was good at first. Always tells me when she wants a wee but is still struggling to let poo's go. We are still having lots of accidents. If i go out i will put a pull up on her though, for example today, we went to stables, she had a wee there and was dry, then went onot the beach where I put a pull up on her but didnt take her to loo for a while so obviously she wet her pull up.

Am I expecting too much too young? DD1 was dry by 19 months and i didnt have any of this with her! Am I giving wrong signals by putting a pull up on her?

Thanks

littleducks Thu 28-Aug-08 22:59:27

i dont like pull ups, i think they give the wrong signals

but she is young, maybe too young
does she have accidents in pants at home with regular toilet trips? after 6 weeks id say she is not ready if thats the case

3littlefrogs Thu 28-Aug-08 23:04:30

I think she is too young. In my experience they can only master it when they are ready and able to do it, regardless of when you start. She may not be ready until she is at least 2 and a half, so maybe leave it for bit and try again a bit later? You don't really want both of you getting stressed over it.

npg1 Thu 28-Aug-08 23:16:27

Hi, thanks for your advice. Im worried though about going back, especially after all this time. It just depends really, some days are really good and she will be dry and other days she will wet herself regardless of being at home or not but she does nearly always ask to go for a wee which makes me think keep going as to put her back in a nappy and she is askin and i say oh go in your nappy is giving wrong signals too. Maybe i should just ditch the pull ups and keep her in knickers all the time.

It was alot easier with DD1 as i had all the time in the world, started young and she just got it, now i barely have time to go to the loo myself!! and I am more stressed and tired etc and thought it would have been over and done with after this long.

ches Fri 29-Aug-08 02:32:50

Sounds like it wasn't her fault she wet her pull-up. wink

3littlefrogs Fri 29-Aug-08 09:18:46

We didn't have pull ups when mine were little - it was either nappies or pants. TBH I think it was less confusing.

She will get there in the end.

I think you were unusually lucky with your first. 2 and a half is about the age when they are neurologically ready. Try not to stress too much - easier said than done I know. smile

3littlefrogs Fri 29-Aug-08 09:21:00

As you say, you had all the time in the world with dd1. You probably watched her like a hawk and focussed on getting her to loo/potty on time.

sashasmama Fri 29-Aug-08 13:56:35

hi there

i am on attempt two now, and as we live in central bangkok and move around by public transport a lot, i put her in pull ups too when we go out and she always wets them. i know what you are saying about the confusion and i totally agree but i also don't know what else to do. Thai people are very particular about cleanliness, and it's not possible to get to a loo when we are on the skytrain!

so as a result she too consistently wets her knickers first before she is aware of the movement, so she always ends up doing half of it in the pants and the other half in the pot... i really don't know what to do to remedy this. she will go when i ask her to potty, and she is comfortable with both the potty and toilet, so i too feel bad to give it up... but i am tearing my hair out and yelling at her when i know i shouldn't...

she is two and a half...

npg1 Fri 29-Aug-08 20:36:28

Hi. Thanks for all your replies.

Sasha, wow you live in Bangkok, that must be fab!

I have had her in knickers all day today and we have done alot better, she only had 1 little dribble just before bed in her pants so quite pleased, think I will ditch the pull ups!

littleducks Fri 29-Aug-08 21:29:38

how about cloth training pants, they vary in absorbancy but some can be very absorbant so you wont end up with a puddle (especially in public) but the child will know they have wet themselves whereas with pull ups is like a nappy.

but be warned due to there absorbant nature they take an age to dry when washed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now