Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

swim nappies - ummm...so what and how?

(17 Posts)
LadyBee Thu 28-Aug-08 16:54:03

I appreciate that I will sound completely idiotic here, but am a first-timer so have no shame asking this:
I want to take my 4.5 month DS swimming. I have bought a pair of these swim shorts which have a terry nappy inner. My DS is still exclusively BF, with EBF poo. Is this all I need? really? Do they work? I have some microterry booster thingies that came with my Bumgenius nappies, do you think I should try adding one of those in for safety?
Really don't want to cause a pool evacuation blush

howtobehated Thu 28-Aug-08 17:01:50

i don't think you would ever get them clean again tbh grin. I buy disposable swim nappies, tesco ones are good, and then put a normal lycra costume over the top, they hold poo in.

mejon Thu 28-Aug-08 17:04:12

The swimsuit version of those is what DD (2)has always worn when swimming - the legs are pretty snug. However, she is always pretty regular with her poos and (to date) has never done one in the pool! I doubt whether a booster would help as it would only absorb the water. If you are worried, then maybe one of the disposable swim nappies might be worth a try until your DS's poos are a little less explosive.

asur Thu 28-Aug-08 17:20:13

I used similar swim nappy with DS and never had a leak... He tended to poo during or just after a feed so was pretty safe in pool. I never even thought about it leaking tbh.

Seona1973 Thu 28-Aug-08 19:43:15

I have used both disposable and reusable swim nappies for ds and we have taken him swimming most weeks since he was about 3 months old (now 22 months). In all that time he has never ever pooed in the pool.

HolidaysQueen Thu 28-Aug-08 19:52:18

I use a Konfidence reusable swim nappy. We had a Mothercare pair but my DS is tall and slim, and it didn't fit his legs so bought the Konfidence one as it fastens with velcro so can be adjusted to fit his skinny legs tightly! So I'd try the nappy and make sure it fits his legs snugly before you take him to the pool.

As it happens, DS has never ever pooed when swimming - he's been going since 6 weeks old and is now 21 weeks old - let alone any of it leak! Also, he has been doing swimming lessons for the last 5 weeks with 12 babies - all of them were wearing washable swim nappies rather than disposables and there haven't been any accidents.

BigBadMousey Thu 28-Aug-08 20:03:35

DD2 went swimming from 20 weeks and is now 2.4 and she has never pood in the pool either (nor to my knowledge have any of her swim buddies)

We use the Konfidence swim nappy too this one. It is the only one we have used and it did fit from 20 weeks and still fits now. It has the extra benefit of being able to be used as a pull up or as a conventional nappy.

I don't think you should add a booster - you only need to catch poo and a booster would make the nappy uncomfortable.

Enjoy your swimming smile

HolidaysQueen Thu 28-Aug-08 22:10:44

I lied - I use the Kushies swim nappy (available on eBay or in Waitrose). I use a Konfidence babywarma wetsuit thing as well if the water is cold. New mother, no brain blush

LadyBee Fri 29-Aug-08 13:17:54

Ok - I've just been looking for swim lessons and the organisation I think I'm going to go with (because the pool is most convenient) seem to recommend using a disposable swim nappy under a cloth swim nappy shock although I suppose they really want to ensure no accidents as that would reflect on them and affect their business at the pool.

DS has only ever had one poo incident in the bath and that was when he was much much younger, but he's had a few very runny episodes lately, I think because of starting teething stuff, and I can't rule out those happening again.

Will check out the recommendations - and decide whether to keep or return my purchase! Thanks all

jelliebelly Fri 29-Aug-08 13:26:32

I think for most baby swimming lessons they recomment a disposable swim nappy with a "proper" swimsuit/trunks over the top. Thats the only way to ensure you catch a poo ime.

jelliebelly Fri 29-Aug-08 13:27:14

meant to say, the disposable swim nappies don't absorb water so they don't swell up uncomfortably - they are only designed to catch poo - the chlorine in the pool deals with wee.

BigBadMousey Fri 29-Aug-08 14:39:17

hmm one pool local to us does NOT allow the use of disposable swim nappies - you have to have reusable ones as they are less likely to leak poo apparently.

Reusable ones don't absord water either....

BigBadMousey Fri 29-Aug-08 14:39:56

grin absord absorb

nappyaddict Fri 29-Aug-08 14:41:03

we have to use a reusable swim nappy with one of these over the top

olivo Fri 29-Aug-08 15:59:59

my dd still sometimes poos while she is swimming, but we have never had leaky ones, even when she was BF. we use boots own disposable swim nappies under a normal swimming costume or uv sunsuit.

LadyBee Fri 29-Aug-08 17:05:25

these are the ones sold by the company - I quite like the look of the lycra bands around their waist and legs - might be quite comfy for various sizes.

nappyaddict Fri 29-Aug-08 17:26:09

those are like the ones i linked to and what ds' swimming teacher recommends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now