Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Anyone starting potty training this weekend??

(63 Posts)
llynnnn Thu 28-Aug-08 16:22:32

Hi all

I'm starting potty training my 25mth old dd on Sat. Is there anyone else planning on starting soon that I could hold hands with!?!

Not feeling very confident aboout it, pretty sure dd is ready but she can be a stubborn little thing when she wants so not sure how its going to go!!

LuLuBai Thu 28-Aug-08 16:30:24

Plan to have a go at it next week. DD will only be 17 months. But she tells me whenever she fills her nappy (sometimes even catch her mouthing it across a crowded and noisy playgroup) so I think I may be in with a chance.

Have bought a daft amount of kit in preparation: travel potette + umpteen liners, comfy toddler seat to go over the loo, step to place at loo and 7 pairs of training pants which feel quite lightweight but will give a bit of security in case of accidents. Have I missed anything?

llynnnn Thu 28-Aug-08 16:37:57

hi lulu, i have bought lots of things too! including an all singing all dancing potty which I'm hoping will encourage her to use it! hmm lots and lots of knickers, little chocs as rewards blush, antibacterial spray and wipes. i've also got some pampers change mats which are like nappy material sheets thought they'd be handy for in the car/pushchair

i havent bought a travel potty yet, i'm not planning on leaving the house until i'm reasonably confident! we'll become hermits i think!!

LuLuBai Thu 28-Aug-08 16:48:22

Aha, well you see I might be mad but we are going on holiday on Saturday and I thought we could try the whole thing out there. We are going to a villa in Spain for a fortnight. Tiled floors and DH around 24/7 to help mop accidents plus the weather will be better so less clothes to wash.

My brother and his wife did their potty training on holiday and sorted it all out pretty quickly. Bit anxious about the flight home though. Will probably cave in and put her in a nappy.

* gulp *

llynnnn Thu 28-Aug-08 16:52:56

wow u are brave! but it does make sense really. your dd will be outside and not wearing a lot anyway, good idea, hope it works for you
we got dd out of her cot and sleeping in a bed on our hols!

mmm the flight home could be tricky, there are always pull ups so its a bit of a compromise (just in case!)

LuLuBai Thu 28-Aug-08 16:57:13

Don't think DH will be v. pleased when he sees how much kit we are going to have to carry blush

I do think it is ideally a summer job as less clothes and less traumatic if clothes get wet.

Oh - also on the shopping front I have bought a couple of pairs of elastic waisted tracky bottom type trousers. On the lookout for more of these. Jeans / tights etc seem a bit trickier to pull up and down. She's capable of pulling down the elastic waist things herself, so that's a good sign too I reckon.

LuLuBai Thu 28-Aug-08 17:00:24

Oh - and yes DD does tend to end up in our bed whenever we stay away from home. I've probably taken on more than I can chew.

But am pg again and use reusable nappies. The stench of nappy laundry is really getting to me (v. heightened sense of smell at the mo!), and I can't face the thought of washing two lots of nappies when the next one comes along.

thebecster Thu 28-Aug-08 17:01:17

I'm starting training DS tomorrow - he's 27 months. We've bought potty & seat for the loo - tbh he prefers sitting on the loo - lots of Thomas Tank and Bob Builder pants and antibacterial wipes! Haven't bought sweets yet as we'll need to stay in the flat, we have a very small flat, and DS goes loco when you give him sugar and will be bouncing off the walls. But I might succumb to bribery if he doesn't 'get it' in the first couple of days. I've bought stickers instead for the moment.

So here goes... Give us an update over the weekend llynnn and I'll keep you posted!

LuLuBai Thu 28-Aug-08 17:03:45

Oooh - I don't have very many antibacterial wipes.

Certainly no sweets. DD thinks that fruit is sweets. Long may she remain deluded grin.

llynnnn Thu 28-Aug-08 17:21:09

lulu, my dd used to be deluded! she wouldnt even eat choc when offered! now she takes what she can get her hands on!! blush she is still really good with fruit and veg though so i'm lucky there! (for the time being!)

hi thebecster, good luck for tommorrow, will look forward to seeing how your first day goes!

Chaotica Thu 28-Aug-08 17:47:18

We're (probably) trying too with DD (2.4) starting tomorrow. Hope it goes well for everyone.

LuLuBai Thu 28-Aug-08 19:29:14

Fingers crossed for everyone.

DD told me she had filled her nappy earlier this evening but I didn't believe it (she had filled one less than two hours previously and sometimes gets confused about farts and thinks she has pooed when she hasn't)I had my back turned and when I looked round she was ripping off her v. full nappy herself.

So I guess that is another sign that she is ready.

llynnnn Thu 28-Aug-08 20:14:17

hi chaotica, good luck! hope it goes well with not too much mess!!

lulu it does sound like your dd is ready! bless her!

thebecster Fri 29-Aug-08 11:56:00

Oh dear lord... 11am, 5 pairs of pants so far. And we've both been in tears. Not about the potty training - me about him hitting me in the face with his broom (accidentally) and because I've got raging PMT, and him about anything and everything.... I remember reading how important it is to be calm when potty training. We. Are. Not. Calm.

Dammit!

llynnnn Fri 29-Aug-08 12:47:30

oh no becster!! doesnt sound like fun AT ALL!
are you taking him to the potty/loo every 30mins? i think thats how we are going to go tomorrow

really hope you have more success this afternoon, it cant get any worse surely.....

Chaotica Fri 29-Aug-08 17:38:58

Didn't start well -- in fact I seriously doubted she had a clue what was required -- but as the day wears on (and boy is it wearing!) I think we're doing as well as I can expect -- approx score: knickers/garden 4 potty 5. So she's getting the idea... ...I hope. Was better once I took the training pants off and let her play in the garden (and only one bribe needed so far).

How many days can I stand of this though??

(Hope it's going better for you becster -- we're through 7 pairs of pants already if it makes you feel better, and that's with part of the day with pants off.)

peacelily Fri 29-Aug-08 17:59:44

Think I need to start soon too, I've been a lazy arse to be honest and keep putting it off.

dd23m tells me she's wee'd poo'd etc. and seems to understand what's required of her but she's stubborn and contrary little minx (like her Mummy wink As a result of both of us having this emotional "style" I don't want it to get into a battle of wills between us but fear that it may well do so sad

We are camping next week in Somerset so this may well be a good opportunity!!

sweetkitty Fri 29-Aug-08 18:59:49

I'm the ultimate lazy arse DD2 is 2.7y and still in pull ups. I tried once and gave up after 3 days, I was pregnant with horrendous SPD and couldn't cope with pee as well, now DD3 is 6 weeks old I need to start again am hoping with her being older it should take less time.

I am still scarred from DD1 who asked just before 2 wasn't ready took her a year she drinks laods and is a heavy wetter.

So I'm thinking I should start soon......

Friskyfluff Fri 29-Aug-08 19:32:54

Don't worry sweetkitty my DS is 3 next week and still not potty trained. Queen of lazy here grin
Have tried a few times over the last year but he ha shown no interest and hates the potty.

However, break through at last! This morning he took his nappy off and said something about wee, so like i often do i asked if he wanted to go on the toilet....and he said yes!

Has been in pants all day and only two accidents and has even asked to be taken to the toilet a few times. Many false alarms but thats fine, i can deal with that. Still won't go near the potty though!

I hope tomorrow he doesn't decide he wants nappies again!

thebecster Fri 29-Aug-08 19:33:07

Score at end of day was pants/floor 7 potty 1. Bribery won the day - as soon as I said he could have sugar puffs if he weed in the potty, he did - just sat down and weed. Little blighter! Tomorrow is another day. A day where DH and I will do shifts, which will be MUCH better grin

llynnnn Fri 29-Aug-08 19:39:44

hooray becster! glad you had success! hope your ds remembers in the morning!! (wonder how many sugar puffs you will get through!! wink) i'll remember that for tomorrow though!!

chaotica, sounds like you are having success too! yay!! i knew we would get through a lot of pants, but 7!! yikes!!

so peacelilly and sweetkitty, are you up for starting tomorrow with me??!

friskyfluff, does sound good, hope tomorrow is even better!

lululbai - have a fab holiday, good luck with the training!!!

llynnnn Sat 30-Aug-08 17:00:48

how's everyone getting on?

not a succesful day here! 7-0 to the garden!! thank god its been such a nice day and we've been able to get outside!!
she hasnt done anything at all since about 2pm!! worried now that she's storing it up and will end up with infections! will put nappy back on before bed and i'm sure thats when she'll go!! grrr!

heres to a better day tomorrow!

sweetkitty Sat 30-Aug-08 20:47:02

I am thinking about September weekend stay in for four days then with DP here to mop up pee help

thebecster Sun 31-Aug-08 19:14:27

Score today was potty 8 and floor/pants 0 HURRAH! But don't think we're out of the woods yet. He goes to nursery for the morning tomorrow, so I'm hoping they can keep up the progress. Unfortunately they insist on pull-ups there when potty training, which is annoying as I'm worried DS might backslide when he's in a nappy. Oh well, I've got all Monday afternoon and all Tuesday to try to keep up momentum! Shame it's been lovely weather all weekend and we've been stuck in the flat with a stir-crazy toddler!

LetThemEatCake Sun 31-Aug-08 20:25:22

hello everyone, I'm butting in late here. Well done to all of you for getting through the weekend! I've been training dd since she was about 5 months - it was always so obvious when she was about to poo that I'd just stick her on the loo. By 16 months, she never had a pooey nappy and was telling me of her own accord that she needed to poo. So I thought that wee training at 23 months would be a cinch.

Ha!! to be honest, it hasn't been terrible but 2 months down the line we still have occasional accidents, inc one today. And lots of times I will ask if she wants the loo, she says no, I say, aw come on, give it a go and presto she wees. Which leads me to think that we would be having far more accidents if it was left to her?

went to stay with FIL last week and put her in pull-ups as insurance, despite having been down to virtually no accidents and by day 3 of the trip she'd twigged that if she weed it was like wearing a nappy and we had TOTAL regression, even a poo!!! took a few days after getting home to et her back in the swing again, very annoying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now