Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

washable nappies for the first time

(4 Posts)
anniepan Thu 28-Aug-08 15:56:37

Hi everyone... we have decided to go for washable nappies for the first time when baby no 3 arrives... thing is we've seen so many different sorts types etc.. was ondering what everyone else uses . whats best, easiest etc.... any comments grateful!!!

sparkymummy Thu 28-Aug-08 16:17:27

Use motherease onesize as they fit from birth to potty. Some others you need to buy different sizes. Saying that they were massive on my DS when he was born and a bit tight now he is 2 but nothing we couldn't live with, although in his baby photos he does look like a bit of a monster bum! I would recommend perhaps just buying one of a few different types, you can always sell the ones you don't get on with and buy a full set of the ones you do as there are big differences between them and different ones suit different babies/families! One tip though, buy washable wipes as well, just chuck in the wash with your nappies, much better for getting poo off than a slimey baby wipe and save you a fortune!

BigBadMousey Thu 28-Aug-08 16:32:34

Argh! You see that is the problem with asking on here...I would say avoid Motherease one size, bad fit, not very absorbant, take too long to dry etc..

I suppose it illustrates my point well though - there is no one super-nappy that suits all.

It is a good idea to look here here are seeing if you have a nappy advisor locally. They would be able to demostrate the different types to you and tell you what type would suit you best. There may be a trial scheme in operation in your area where you can hire a trial set of nappies to see which you like best. Some local councils offer financial incentives to use cloth (search on that link for those too).

Without knowing your relative budget, hardness of your local water and whether you have a tumble drier (and if you can afford to use it) it is hard to advise what would be best for you and your DC.

BlueChampagne Fri 29-Aug-08 13:53:15

Does your local council run a real nappy scheme? Also try Freecycle - I've got a random selection of nappies for nowt. In our house disposable wipes manage to go through the wash a few times too! Ditto liners, tho' wish someone had told me not to bother with liners until weaning. Useless on breast milk poo IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now