Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is it worth while buying second hand real napies for my 2YO DS?

(21 Posts)
mamadiva Thu 28-Aug-08 11:16:14

My DS turned 2 in June and has no interest in even trying to potty train but I'm not in a great hurry TBH. Is 3 a normal(ish) age I don't want to push him?

I'm trying t save a bit of money and am thinking about buying some reusables for him as I figure even if I only use them for 6 months it'll save me money if I can get them for around £50.

I have so many questions about them so here goes.

Any reccomendations for an easy to use toddler nappy?

What do I need to use them there are too many things and it all confuses me and how many nappies do I need?!

What is the best thing to wash them with e.g can I use normal soap powder and what temperature do you wash them at?

Sorry about all the questions but like I say I'm lost

Washersaurus Thu 28-Aug-08 11:26:46

Until very recently I used tots bots size 3 and motherease wraps on DS1 (3yo) - they are very reliable.

I wash at 60deg with 1/3 recommended powder dosage.

You prob won't need too many depending on how often you want to wash them of course!

I am keeping mine for DS2 to use, bu am sure you can find some second hand on here; cmotdibbler had some to sell recently - I was going to buy them to increase my stocks but DS potty trained instead.

mamadiva Thu 28-Aug-08 11:44:05

Thanks for that Washersaurus I plan on washing the nappies every night, can they be washed in with anything else like towels and reusable wipes?

mamadiva Thu 28-Aug-08 11:47:54

BUMP

Washersaurus Thu 28-Aug-08 11:59:36

I wash mine with washable wipes and would probably wash with towels too, but I have lots and lots of nappies and wash 3 buckets worth in one go, which fills my machine grin.

You could probably get away with starting with around 5/6 nappies and a couple of wraps.

I wash the wraps in with the other washing at 40deg as they last longer that way.

MatNanPlus Thu 28-Aug-08 12:10:39

Anyone used Modern Baby? they are on sale?

Essie3 Thu 28-Aug-08 12:27:19

I've just posted on the Real Nappy Users thread on the Modern Baby subject!

MatNanPlus Thu 28-Aug-08 12:30:12

Ah, will pop over Essie3 tho just realised you need a wrap so can't see the point of a pretty nappy if you then need to cover it personally.

lssb Thu 28-Aug-08 12:41:36

I bought second hand motherease for DS2 as when he was born DS1 was not potty trained either and some are now of the nappies threadbare and the wraps can leak.

But that could be that he wees / poos for England so they are 'used' more than with with DS1. In hindsight I would still have bought secondhand nappies (although they're only about £1 cheaper than £7.50-£8.00 new)but not secondhand wraps as they leaked (but could be to do with how much is wees).

Maybe buy one reusable see how you get on and then busy some more if they work for your toddler.

ilovemydog Thu 28-Aug-08 12:46:30

mama diva - welcome to my world! DD is 2 and showing zero interest in potty training. So, just got some Sandy's Toddler ease...

If nothing else, takes the stress out of it, and they last up to 45 pounds...

mamadiva Thu 28-Aug-08 12:58:34

Thanks Issb and Ilovemydog.

My DS pees for britain too! I will keep that in mind about the nappies and wraps. I wouldn't have known the difference.

I'm so glad it's not just me who can't seem to do anything about the potty training! I will look up the sandys but my DS is only 29lbs and quite a skinny boy.

nct73 Thu 28-Aug-08 13:45:11

Have just given up using prefolds & junior joy wraps as they just didnt seem to fit anymore. I have a long thin 21 mo. The large wraps rubbed at the tops of the legs as didnt seem long enough in the crotch. We tried various makes of the next size up lent to us by the nappy service but were enormous and either fell off or weed out of side. She has been leaking a lot recently but not through lack of changing as stays dry for ages then one HUGE wee all the way through everything. She had weed all the way through her disposable, pjs, duvet & sheet at 5am this morning so woke rather upset.

I really dont want to go to disposibles as really noticed the extra waste the week we used them on holiday. So any recommendations of shaped toddler pants & wraps which suit long thin ones with big bladders which I too can hunt down second hand as bit young to potty train?

Washersaurus Thu 28-Aug-08 13:58:22

I have started putting DS2 (1yo) into DS1's old size 3's - suprisingly they seem to fit quite well, with super absorbancy too grin

Motherease XL airflow wraps are the best.

I don't think the leaking is necessarily due to them being second hand btw. DS1 was such a heavy wetter between 2-3yo that his wraps almost always leaked (even with tots bots on). That is why in the end I had to force the potty training!

Motherease Sandy's are fab, but not really very absorbant, I wouldn't recommend for a really heavy wetter as you have to change very frequently (IME).

mamadiva Thu 28-Aug-08 14:52:01

Have just bid on these on ebay for £8 maximum. Only problem being I forgot to check how they fasten could anyone tell me?

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 28-Aug-08 14:59:34

DS has just turned 2 and is usually in cloth. He's always been a fairly heavy wetter, but recently his nappies have been sopping after just 1.5-2 hrs. Had one yesterday that was practically dripping shock.

I have some shaped nappies made by Babeco, a local company, which should see him through now until potty-training/3 yrs. I also have some bamboo squares which I use in kite fold.

mamadiva Thu 28-Aug-08 15:06:04

Am just going to risk the bad feedback and not buy the nappies from there because I can't find a good review anywhere so....

MatNanPlus Thu 28-Aug-08 15:41:26

They go inside a wrap MamaDiva we use them, it can be any waterproof wrap that does up imagine AF pad and your knickers!! similar thing i find them great.

nct73 Thu 28-Aug-08 21:24:24

checked out the Babeco website and found this

NEW - ALL B ECO NAPPY (highlights)
* The All B Eco nappy is an allinone nappy with a water proof outer and sewn in pad
* Lined with a blend of bamboo & organic cotton fleece for extra absorbency and comfort
* Comes with a Sewn in 4 layer micro terry pad so you can put this nappy straight on
* The nappy has an opening in the lining so extra pads can be added if needed
* Large 25 – 40lbs – Popper version can be used as a training pant for toddlers

sounds like what I have been after. a pullup real nappy. are these what your using RC? am I right that you dont need wraps?

tutu100 Fri 29-Aug-08 20:16:01

I found fuzzi bunz really good for ds when he was 2. I stuffed them either with a folded terry nappy or a prefold. He too used to do power wees (one massive wee), but we rarely had a leak with the fuzzis.

Also I found them really easy to put on him, even standing up as by that point a nappy and a wrap had become a bit of a faff.

tutu100 Fri 29-Aug-08 20:18:12

Forgot to say though that the fit is crucial, but they are very adjustable. Also some nappy retailers have the old style fuzzi bunz reduced atm. I managed with 4/5 fuzzi bunz and washed them every night, where they are a pocket nappy they dried really quickly. But I did have lots of prefolds and terries to stuff them with as this is what took the longest to dry, but terry nappies can be bought really cheaply on ebay.

nct73 Sun 31-Aug-08 21:31:22

so can fuzzis be used as pull ups like B Eco claim or are they just easy to put on standing up as LO keeps flipping, body slamming, back crawl or just plain running away so disposables are no easy to apply that my old prefolds & wraps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now