Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

my fuzzi's starting to pong a bit and stain?

(12 Posts)
miarosemum Tue 26-Aug-08 16:11:30

whats good for getting rid of stubborn poop stains and bit of a smell as well, i have tried tea tree oil in the wash which is ok at getting rid of the smell a bit but not the stains

BigBadMousey Tue 26-Aug-08 21:31:02

Stains are best removed by the sun (if we ever see it again!). If your inserts are stained then it will take longer for them to sun out due to the dense pile of the microfibre. You could use vanish or similar if you really wanted to but only on the insert - not the nappy itself.

I've just successfully stripped some microfibre inserts thus...soak the clean nappies in white vinegar and cold water (500ml bottle of vinegar and top up the nappy bucket with water) overnight. Transfer to the washing machine and do a prerinse on cold then wash with a full dose of biological washing powder at 30C. rinse two times with warm or cold water to shift the detergent. This will get rid of the smell more permanently than tea tree oil alone. If you want you can add tea tree to the wash with biological powder.

I wouldn't recommend you soak the nappies themselves overnight, maybe just for an hour or so. You can put them through the rest of the routine though.

miarosemum Tue 26-Aug-08 22:12:38

i live in a first floor flat so cant dry my nappies outside (boohoo), but will try the white vinegar trick though, that sounds great, thanks smile

BigBadMousey Tue 26-Aug-08 22:48:07

By a window on a sunny day should work too I believe.

Hope it works for you.

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 26-Aug-08 23:08:09

I found fuzzis tended to retain smells more than cotton nappies.
I never soaked or 'stripped'. You just need to ignore the bit you get told about using half doses of washing powder for nappies.
All my nappies I did a cycle with prewash (with no detergent in so it rinses them) then a good blast with lots of powder at 60 degrees, then an extra rinsing cycle. If there was any bubbles left at the end I then left them in the machine and put them in a shorter 30degree wash with no powder.
This way they are rinsed, blasted with detergent on a hot wash, then rinsed and rinsed.

30 degrees just won't do it for smelly nappies imo.

They will never come up as good as outside dried, but a good wash and rinse every now and again will keep them smelling fresh.

BigBadMousey Wed 27-Aug-08 08:49:05

30C in biological washing powder for already 'clean' nappies (i.e cleaned however you usually do it). The enzymes in the biological powder break down the cause of the urine smell and there is no need for a higher temp than 30C in these circumstances as all you want to do is get the enzymes in contact with the microfibre fabrics at their optimum operating temperature.

Microfibre has a high surface area to volume ratio and so can harbour far more bacteria than conventional fabrics hence the tendancy to smell more.

LuLuBai Wed 27-Aug-08 09:22:56

I sympathise miarosemum - we lived in a flat with no outdoor space for our DDs first few months. It was when we went on holiday that I discovered the enormous difference a spot of sunshine makes. We now have a tiny N/E facing courtyard which gets v. little sun but it still makes a huge difference to freshening up the nappies. Even in dull drizzly weather I hang them out there for half a day or so. If you can take them round to a friend or families place and hang them out doors for a day it will make the world of difference.

miarosemum Wed 27-Aug-08 23:01:40

i think i need to make a few trips to my mums down the road and use her washing line to get drying her fuzzis, the sun seems to be the best trick. thanks everyone

KnickersOnMaHead Wed 27-Aug-08 23:19:39

Message withdrawn

jellybrains Wed 27-Aug-08 23:33:28

oxiclean baby spray is the best thing ever invented to get rid of poo stains, squirt it on and rub it in and then I tend to soak them in soda crystals. You can only get the oxiclean baby from Boots. grin

LuLuBai Thu 28-Aug-08 10:15:24

Oxiclean baby sounds interesting. I do add Napisan to the wash now that DD is older and eats a more ahem varied diet.

What are the soda crystals and where do you get them?

jellybrains Thu 28-Aug-08 11:12:50

LuLuBai soda crystals are used for all sorts, cleaning, removing stains I think they are quite old fashioned. You can get them them from most supermarkets I think they are with the washing stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now