Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

'Lifting' your child for a night time wee - advice anyone?

(33 Posts)
chocolateshoes Tue 26-Aug-08 13:18:26

HI

DS has been out of nappies during the day since feb and night for the last month after consistently dry nappies. However, the last 3 nights he has woken up sopping wet. He has a small drink at 5.30 ish and does a wee before bed at 6.30. This has usually seen him through until the morning although occaisionally he calls me to take him for a wee around 3am. These last 3 nights the need for a wee doesn't seem to have woken him in time for him to call me.

I was wondering about getting him up for the loo when I go to bed around 10pm. Does anyone else do this? Does it work? Any pros or cons? Needs to stop the wet sheets - the washing is getting too much!

Thanks!!

FAQ Tue 26-Aug-08 13:20:24

DS1 still wet at night and goes to the enuresis clinic and we were told no lifting as it doesn't help them to learn to wake/hold themselves.

Dropdeadfred Tue 26-Aug-08 13:22:22

I have never lifted any of my children...can't imagine how horrid itwouldbe to be taken out of nice warm bed and woken up ....

MatNanPlus Tue 26-Aug-08 13:22:33

I have lifted but made sure they were awake to walk to the bathroom and wee so not doing it when sleepy and has helped with dry bed.

grouchomarx Tue 26-Aug-08 13:23:01

that's interesting FAQ, I was thinking of doing this with dd but have been too lazy so far! How old is your ds?

MatNanPlus Tue 26-Aug-08 13:23:24

I would rather be woken to wee than wake in a wet bed tbh.

stitch Tue 26-Aug-08 13:23:48

dont bother. it doesnt help them learn.

FAQ Tue 26-Aug-08 13:25:34

he'll be 8 in just over 2 weeks time

Dropdeadfred Tue 26-Aug-08 13:26:21

my opinion is that it would not help them learn...perhaps he still needs nappies/trainer pants a night a while longer...

stitch Tue 26-Aug-08 13:26:37

i speak as a mother who has recently chucked the adult incontinence fitted mattress protector out after it has been in constant use for the last seven years, over two bedwetting ds's and is wondering where to buy such a good one again for new mattress. he only wets it once every two to three weeks or so, but i dont like rooms that smell of wee. blush

CapricaSix Tue 26-Aug-08 13:27:46

I personally would never do the lifting thing, it instinctively feels nonsensical to me.

My dd has just turned 5 and is still in nappies/pullups at night because they're normally wet in the morning. I have read several times on here that there is a hormone that kicks in at some point that makes the body hold on all night or something, so I haven't been worrying about it, just waiting for the nappies to be dry in the morning. I did try taking them off one night about 6 months or so ago, but it was a disaster.

Now she's turned 5 though, I have begun to wonder about it. I have read that bed wetting is not considered a problem till aged 8 though. How old is your ds?

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 26-Aug-08 13:29:40

We did this for about 8 months with ds1. he absolutely refused to wear a nappy/pull up or anything in bed. So we lifted him. The first few times he cried and woke up, after that he just let us carry him to the bathroom and he seemed to sit there and wee while still asleep! We have not done it for a few weeks now and touch wood no wet beds. He is 3.9
DS2 is just potty trained but 2.4 and still on potties. he is dry most nights but happy to wear a pull up (washable ones) so no prob there. If he didn't want to wear a nappy/pull up then I would lift him as I don't see what else you can do if the option is wet bed every morning?

chocolateshoes Tue 26-Aug-08 13:30:14

Wow so many replies so quickly! I had heard that it wasn't a good idea to lift unless you wake them up as it only teaches them to wee in their sleep. He is only 3.2 so maybe he should go back to the nappies.....I didn't want him to feel he had taken a step backwrads as he was very pleased with himself.

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 26-Aug-08 13:30:45

Chocolate shoes, I forgot to say.
Do whatever works for you.
Lifting may or may not help a child learn not to wee in the night. But it helped us so we did it.

chocolateshoes Tue 26-Aug-08 13:31:41

Where do you get washable pull ups from Flibb?

Jacanne Tue 26-Aug-08 13:47:20

When dd (5) has a drink after 6.30pm we have to lift her at around 11pm because she always wets. Other than that she is absolutely fine - I didn't/don't really agree with the whole idea of lifting but she is very self-concsious about wearing pyjama pants (particularly as her 3 yrs sister has a cast iron bladder and rarely wets at night).

She never wakes up though - we have a hilarious photo of her asleep on the toilet.

MatNanPlus Tue 26-Aug-08 13:47:49

maybe these wouldn't seem so nappy like CS

chocolateshoes Tue 26-Aug-08 13:58:02

Thanks MNP - they look good. Am not sure how DS will react. Will prob have to 'sell' them to him!

Don't really know why this has just strated after so many weeks of being dry.

MatNanPlus Tue 26-Aug-08 14:10:44

BrightBots also do a training pant that is in a huge range of colours so he might like those better

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 26-Aug-08 14:44:03

I use Mother of Eden Overnight Undies which I bought from Boocoo nappies. Will try and put a link in a min.
They are really soft microfibre fleece lined, poppered sides. Nice slim fit and oooo so quick to dry. The child can pull them down in the morning like a pant, they hold a full wee (but not as much as say an industrial overnight nappy like an Ellas House). What I like about them is the poppered sides as sometimes DS2 gets upset at having to put a nappy on at night. So we let him go to bed in pants and then can put the overnight undies on over his pants, without disturbing him, after he's asleep.
They are not cheap, I got mine ex demonstration for £8 each and I think they are about £13 new but compare that to the cost of pull ups or pyjama pants, and washables have resale value. Sizes on those overnight undies are quite small though, ds2 is tall but not at all chunky and the 2-4 age one is snug at his waist and legs.

I tried various training pants and was lent some bright bots but they just don't hold a night time wee.

OR there are motherease bedwetter pants but these don't popper open, they are quite 'puffy' and bulky, and they take for ever to dry. These overnight undies can be put on a quick wash when we get up and hung up before we go out, and dry again by bedtime.

Another brain wave I had for wet bed mornings and all that farking washing...

I made bottom sheets from cheap fleece from the market. Put that over a microfibre bathtowell, over the matress protector. If the bed is wet the wee wicks through to the bathtowell. Fleece and microfibre dry so quick that you can wash sheet, towell and overnight undie quick in the morning and the sheet and towell are dry in an hour hung over a door or maiden to dry. So fab in winter for those of us without tumble dryers.

belgo Tue 26-Aug-08 14:48:14

I lifted dd1 for nearly a year. It never seemed to bother her. If we didn't, she would wake in the night crying with a sopping wet nappy and this kept on giving her nappy rash. We did this for about a year and she has been dry through the night from about the age of four, maybe a bit before, I can't remember exactly.

NotSoRampantRabbit Tue 26-Aug-08 14:52:57

I lift ds when I go to bed because, like Flibberty's ds, he refuses to wear a nappy at night.

He is usually still asleep and I don't really like doing it, but he gets very upset if he wakes up wet.

Like every aspect of bringing up children, I am muddling through! I suspect that waking him is not a helpful strategy in the longterm, but it's working right now so I am going with the flow (so to speak).

BiancaCastafiore Tue 26-Aug-08 14:56:02

Just bookmarking to read later as I worry about this with 5 year old ds.

hellish Tue 26-Aug-08 14:56:55

Message withdrawn

whateverhappened Tue 26-Aug-08 15:13:51

my dd still wets the bed. If i don't lift her she overflows her night nappy and I have to change the sheets. bedwetting clinic said to make sure I wake her up properly, make her walk exactly half way to the loo, and then ask her to decide whether or not she wants to go to the loo, and abide by her decision. They agreed that it was impractical to let her overflow all the time, with the extra washing and drying, etc. she has been prescribed artificial vasopressin, as she may not have enough to stop her producing urine during hte night - we need to wait and see how that works....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now