Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Still not dry at night at 5 - normal or not?

(10 Posts)
onefunkymama Sun 24-Aug-08 19:09:58

DD is still not dry at night despite lots of attempts to get through the night without wetting. The problem is she doesn't seem to even notice when she wees in her sleep- it doesn't wake her up and she's often wet even though we take her to the loo in the middle of the night. Is she normal or should I seek help?

ChairmanMiao Sun 24-Aug-08 19:10:29

normal

onefunkymama Sun 24-Aug-08 19:11:29

What age do most kids get dry by? She seems to ve very late in comparison to her peers.

madcol Sun 24-Aug-08 19:12:00

Does she drink lots before bed/ at diner?

Milliways Sun 24-Aug-08 19:12:10

If you consider that the earliest you can get a referral to the eneurisis clinic (in my area) has only recently dropped from 7 to 6 - very normal.

There are loads of threads on here - I have commented on loads as my DS was dry in the day before 2yrs, and over 7 before dry at night.

Ask your GP at what age you can get a referral if you still need it then.

Stinkyfeet Sun 24-Aug-08 19:14:56

I've a 5 yr old ds who's not dry at night as well. I'm not especially worried as I understand it's quite normal.

We decided to give it ago without pullups a couple of weeks ago; amazingly the first 3 nights he was dry, then a couple of wet nights, another dry, then 8 or 9 on the trot were wet. Ds1 and I decided together that he would go back to pullups as we were both fed up of being up in the night!

I'll probably get him to try again at Half Term.

Milliways Sun 24-Aug-08 19:17:10

The best things that worked for us were:

1) Drink LOADS. Get used to the bladder filling. Only ease off after tea.

2) They get too used to going for a wee in the day at the first sign of needing to go. The bladder gets no capacity. Practice "hanging on" for 5 mins. DS used to forget for up to an hour after I said to him to try and wait 5 mins.

3) Get them to sit on the loo & count to 10 before letting themselves go. This all trains the brain to know the signals, and strengthens the muscles.

4) Take off the Dry-nights - they know will be OK & get lazy (but your DD may be too young for this)

Above all, the HAVE to want to do this. DS began to get worried when DD's friends were round for sleepovers that they would notice his "nappies". We had a sticker chart and the final prize was a sleepover for DS

onefunkymama Sun 24-Aug-08 19:18:43

Thanks guys, its reassuring to know that she's not alone at this age! I don't give her much to drink before bed, always put her on the loo and get her up for a wee at around 10.30 then put her in easy ups. Can't decide whether to go back to easy ups through the whole night though. Maybe I'll do as you are Stinkyfeet and try again at half term

onefunkymama Sun 24-Aug-08 19:20:01

Milliways, that sounds like a good idea too, maybe I'll try this for a few days before giving up!

procrastinatingparent Sun 24-Aug-08 19:25:39

Very very normal. Can't remember the stats but in our house we seem to get it about 6 years old. The problem IIRC is that night wetting is controlled by hormones, and if you don't produce those until you are 6 you won't be dry at night until then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now