Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

So we have the days sussed but need advice on what is happening at night / first thing in the morning

(12 Posts)
Thomcat Sun 24-Aug-08 10:54:39

DD2 is 2.5.
She's potty trained during the day and has been for about 4/5 weeks and she's been great. No accidents etc.

Anyway in the morning, first thing before I'm even aware she's awake, she is getting out of bed, taking her nappy off and has weed either on her bed, her sisters, on on the floor.

I've explained why she mustn't do this, let her see me have to strip beds, air mattresses etc etc. She says 'sorry' and says she won't take her nappy off again etc but next morning it's the same thing.

So last night I put a potty in her room with her. I wasn't at all sure about doing this as thought DD1 might want to see what was in it (DD1 is 6 but with SN's) and DD2 would try to stop her and there would be an 'accident' with a full potty!
When I went in a 7am it had been used and no beds were wet.

Is this the right thing to do though? What do you think and what are the alternatives?

Thomcat Sun 24-Aug-08 11:50:20

bump

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 11:53:50

Can't you go in before she gets up and supervise her?

I used to get ds up before I went to bed and take him to the loo, then I'd get up early and makes sure he went to the loo as soon as he woke up. He only ever had 2 accidents, one when he was asleep on the sofa and the other whilst walking to nursery so I think it helps some children to wake them up.

Thomcat Sun 24-Aug-08 12:19:48

Hmmmm, I'm not really up for waking her before I go to bed tbh.
And, for me anyway, it seems mad to set my alarm for ...what....5.30am and wake her and make have a wee and then hope she 'll go back to sleep and I won't wake her sister at the same time.
Not sure what the alternative is though??????

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 12:22:28

It depends on how much you want to wake up in the morning to change wet bed clothes. It doesn't take long for it to work (normally).

Aitch Sun 24-Aug-08 12:28:18

doesn't it sound like your plan worked really well, teecee? i'd congratulate both sisters and keep doing the potty thing.

with dd, we need to put her on the loo at about 10.30 at night to guarantee a dry night so that's what we do. it's no problem, but part of me wonders if we should just have knuckled down at the start?

Thomcat Sun 24-Aug-08 12:33:32

But if you go in in the middle of the night and then before she wakes up in the morning so anytime between 5.30am and 6.30 am to make her wee, it just feels dunno, wrong to disturb her sleep pattern and a bit unfair to be dragged out of bed and shoved on a loo. And int he morning if I wake her at 5.30 a) I don't bloody want to get up then!!! and b) I don't think she'll go back to sleep which seems very unfair on everyone, esp her as she'll be shattered.

Hmmm <scratches head> Maybe your right Aitch, keep on with the potty in her room and hope it continues to work as well!

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 12:42:13

If you've found something that works for her now then stick with it. smile

Could you put the potty outside the bedroom door?

Aitch Sun 24-Aug-08 13:02:56

oh ho ho... i was NOT suggesting that you wake early... that's avenanap's kerr-azee plan. grin

dd is asleep when we get her up at 10.30... doesn't even open her eyes, just does a wazz and back to bed. but as i say, sounds like your way is better if she keeps it up. lots of praise etc, you know the drill. grin

Thomcat Sun 24-Aug-08 13:32:39

I have the most wonderful doors that they, currently, still can't open grin BLISS. But that means I can't leave potty outside door.

Okey dokey then will stick with potty in the room with her and just hope for no accidents involving 2 fighting sisters and 1 full potty!

It probably won't be too long till she susses out the door handles and then she can put herself on the loo.

Aitch Sun 24-Aug-08 13:34:47

dd uses the loo for preference (with her wee steps). we have to remember to leave the doors open and the lid up, though.

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 13:37:41

I remember getting ds a potty that looked like a small toilet from Argos. I could take it apart and use the seat on the loo and the base as a step. He hated using a potty though and went right to the loo. The potty was very secure so wouldn't have made too much of a mess if it was knocked over. I don't know if Argos still sell them though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now