Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Terries - Little Ewes are MASSIVE! Help!

(9 Posts)
wastingmyeducation Sat 23-Aug-08 19:28:56

Ds is 14 weeks, and have been using muslins, in origami fold. Tried a terry on him, in Jo fold and the wrap was just big enough in the rise, but the blessed thing came down to his knees! Is this right, or did I not fold it properly?
I bought a full set of Little Ewes, and I'd rather not buy any more, but if they won't fit till he's bigger, I was thinking of buying some Boots terry squares, to fill in, as the muslins get soaked really quickly now.

Any suggestions or advice?

xx

verybigbird Sat 23-Aug-08 19:32:39

Little Ewes do smaller ones, which we used for a few weeks, till DS2 was about 9lbs. They were about £2 each. Also used a couple of "diddy diapers" which were shaped nappies for smaller babies with velcro fastenings over each leg - very handy in the middle of the night when a bit befuddled.

Otherwise with DS1, used mothercare towelling nappies, which are cheaper but do lose their shape after a few washes (they become rectangular). However, the terry material on these is thinner, so less bulky.

HTH.

BigBadMousey Sat 23-Aug-08 21:04:16

What wrap are you using?

Terry folds do tend to come down the legs more than shaped nappies. Do you have the nappylady index of folds to hand? You might like to experiment with different folds to get a trimmer fit.

As verybigbird says Boots or Mothercare's own terries will be thinner - they will lose their shape quicker but they will be thinner or your young DS. tbh I wouldn't recommend using smaller squares - 50cm are a stretch on my DS who is 12wo. I think you just need to experiement with folds and maybe go for thinner squares for a while.

Once you get the hang of folds, you'll be fine smile. I use the bat fold under an airflow wrap for DS (just roll the leg bits up inside the nappy to improve containment and stop the nappy reaching right down to the knees grin).

wastingmyeducation Sat 23-Aug-08 23:30:22

I'm using Motherease airflow wraps, we've just moved onto the medium size, with all poppers on tightest fitting.
BBM- are you using that fold with 50cm? I'm using 80cm muslins and it looks tiny with the 60cm terries.
I've been using that fold with my muslins, and it all comes halfway down his legs.
With terry on, it was literally at his knees, just these little
knees sticking out, unable to move from the hips!
On Monday I'm making it my mission to try as many folds as I can with the Little Ewes over the course of the day, and if I'm still not happy I'll get some from Boots.

xx

BigBadMousey Sat 23-Aug-08 23:42:32

No I'm using 60cm squares - it does look tiny but with some jiggling I could get it to stretch to fit DD when she was 18m IIRC. I have no idea how people use 60cm terries on older children!

When you have done the fold with the muslin and it is on him can you take the back part of the fold and roll it in on itself to reduce the length down his leg. It's harder to keep in place with a muslin than with a terry I think.

I tend to use bamboo squares a lot - they are thin fitting but they do take a suprisingly long time to dry. I prefer them for DS at his age, he's a heavy wetter but I don't like all the bulk so they suit us well.

wastingmyeducation Sun 24-Aug-08 10:33:23

I roll it up at the legs. It doesn't keep the poop in, but he only does those every 2-3 days now!
I suppose that it looks so bulky because I've never seen a baby in a terry (since my sister was a baby 25 years ago), and he already looks so different to other babies in the muslins.

Thanks.

xx

BigBadMousey Sun 24-Aug-08 11:03:41

Yes I know what you mean. The little ewes are particularly bulky though (as are harringtons and babeco). Prefolds are quite thin fitting if you are on a budget. You do get used to the look of a cloth bum.

The bulkiness is the only downside of cloth for me. I use a combination of nappies including some thin fitting varieties so I can still get DS into all his trousers. With DD I found an incredibly thin nappy which worked well for us.

juuule Sun 24-Aug-08 14:03:07

What does he weigh?
I used Little Ewe (among others) when they were about 14lb. Origami/bat fold.
Are you tucking the nappy up around the thighs?

wastingmyeducation Sun 24-Aug-08 19:15:30

Haven't had him weighed for nearly a fortnight, but I'm guessing around 13lb.
I've tried Jo fold with the Little Ewes, and the origami with my muslins, which I do roll up.

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now