Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

newborn 3 week old nappy rash... clueless first time mum help!

(22 Posts)
cityangel Thu 21-Aug-08 23:15:04

Hi my ds has his first nappy rash just not sure what to do. We are using nature nappies and cotton wool and water to clean. When out (every few days) using wet wipes and we recently used a sample pack of different wipes he could have reacted badly to hmm. I've put sudocream on tonight and am cautious about chemical options but keen to fix it before it gets worse.

All advice welcomed as its clearly causing him pain and we're newbie worried parents.

hf128219 Thu 21-Aug-08 23:18:08

I had this (once) when I used a sample pack of pampers wipes when I had been using Johnsons - just kept it clean and dry and reverted back to her normal wipes. It went in about a day!

Don't worry!

busymum1 Thu 21-Aug-08 23:18:49

metanium is brilliant use as little as possible spread so you can still see skin through it normally heals within 2-12 hours been using as needed for 6 years have to dc's tube lasts until use by date easily

Thomcat Thu 21-Aug-08 23:19:15

Nappy rash happens to all the best babies. My first 2 neer had it not once, have done nothing differently with DD3 but she sometimes gets very red. Just slather on the sudo cream after every change. When you're at home try and give him some nappy free time.

Thomcat Thu 21-Aug-08 23:20:58

Oh is metanium that yellow stuff, yeah that's good stuff too. Then once he's over worst of it use sudo creamm inbetween.

NintyZelda Thu 21-Aug-08 23:21:16

I used Bepanthen on my DS when he was newborn and it seemed to work for him. I actually got a really tiny sample of it in a Bounty pack given to me by that women who comes round when your totally knackered/overwhelmed/still high as a kite from various drugs taken in labour grin
I find Huggies wipes give my DD terrible nappy rash, but they were ok with DS. Every DC is different,
If it's really bad see your HV or GP.
Hope your DS feels happier soon, tis so sad when they are upset. sad

busymum1 Thu 21-Aug-08 23:24:18

personally never bother with sudocream use metanium if needed (yes it's the yellow one)and nothing else in between, find sudocream can make sore as air not getting to skin through it see this often with babies I childmind

cityangel Thu 21-Aug-08 23:35:30

thanks for the speedy advice I will try and track down some metanium

MrsPorty Thu 21-Aug-08 23:37:38

Or you could try calendula cream (made by Weleda). It's natural and very good - you can usually get it in health food shops.

MrsPorty Thu 21-Aug-08 23:38:46

Or you could try calendula cream (made by Weleda). It's natural and very good - you can usually get it in health food shops.

Aitch Thu 21-Aug-08 23:39:20

sudocreme over-rated, as is metanium (because it stains everything). i'm a bepanthen gal. actually i'm a fresh-air gal ideally, bepanthen comes second.

susiecutiebananas Thu 21-Aug-08 23:46:33

I was also going to say that sudocreme and metanium and bepanthem can really sting.

I use waitrose baby bottom butter and have since she was born. th only time she has nappy rash is when she is teething, has tummy upset - so lots of diarrhea and when she has thrush.

Are you sure it's not thrush? babies both boys and girls can get thrush, just due to the environment that thrush likes to be in... moist dark warm places!

I also use a great cream by "earth friendly baby" which 'active' ingredient is Red Clover. I can put it on at night, and her rash is gone by morning, often. Unless very bad, or bleeding. then it takes a few applications. THat said, i think it also stings when it goes on if bleeding...

SO, if bleeding, I use a cream by Welda - Calenduar Nappy creme. Which out of all of them, is the most useful as non sting, & does heal fairly fast.

If you don't want to get all 3, of course, then go for the red clover one or the calenduar one. both just as good, as long as not broken skin and bleeding.

HTH

cityangel Fri 22-Aug-08 08:57:10

thanks everyone how can I tell the difference between nappy rash and thrush?

CrushWithEyeliner Fri 22-Aug-08 08:59:50

thrush tends to have tiny pimple like dots to it as far as i can rememeber and really doesn't respond to anything but special anti-fungal cream. The HV will be able to tell for sure x

CrushWithEyeliner Fri 22-Aug-08 09:00:20

metanium was magic for DD btw

BigBadMousey Fri 22-Aug-08 10:12:01

With thrush the rash tends to be bright red and tender, with distinct edges with small red spots or pustules close to the large patches.

I'd show your HV the rash - best get advice from someone who knows their nappy rashes and can look at your DS's bottom (!).

Don't worry though - some babies are just more prone to these things than others. IME it could well be the wipes that caused it (or at least made it worse) so best make a note of what they were for future reference.

In the meantime leave his nappy off as much as possible to get some air to his bottom.

BigBadMousey Fri 22-Aug-08 10:14:20

Forgot to add - Metanium is fab. Sudocrem did nothing for my 3. Well worth having some in the house anyway - nappy rash can come on very suddenly, if you put a thin layer of metanium on straight away you'll catch it before it even gets a hold.

bubblagirl Fri 22-Aug-08 10:22:42

zinc and caster oil was always best for my ds washed in cool water nappies left off when i could and zinc and caster oil my mum bought me one and over night as good as new also have a johnsons one in tube that is fantastic

susiecutiebananas Sat 23-Aug-08 00:20:54

Descriptions of thrush both good in above posts. It will need an anti fugal cream if it is. such as Canesten which can be prescribed- thank god as its v expensive. Does work quickly though.

ALso, i'd recommend looking at the wipes you used. I can only use the nature baby ones. Shes fine with either fragrance free or lightly scented.

pretty much all the other wipes on the market, even the 'sensitive' ones have all kinds of horrible ingredients in them and really sting of you have sore skin in any way at all. I've tried them on my face to remove make up... if they can do this, i don't think i'd want them on DD's delicate areas wink

THe nature Baby wipes can be bought in BOots, Tesco, Waitrose that I defiinitely know of. They are the same price packet for packet, however are not often in the bulk offers. THey have NO nasty things in them. Just look up the ingredients and you will probably be horrified to see whats in baby wipes. wink

I moved onto these after DD had bleeding thrush. Anything else I tried to put near her made her scream and shake with pain. ALso, i use washable wipes with chamomile tea and tea tree oil solution I make up. I use washable nappies so makes no difference to be washing the wipe too.

cityangel Mon 25-Aug-08 13:32:01

thanks everyone it has cleared up well and I have lots of options to try if it returns

daynurse Tue 23-Aug-16 17:34:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CharlieLDN Tue 18-Oct-16 10:12:47

Oh do not stress it happens to all of us!
When I had this problem I tried everything and I only seemed to be making it worse. A friend of mine told me to stop using chemicals (I thought this was a pretty hippie remark) and told me to use an oil by this company called arganic.
I felt so guilty so I was willing to try anything. The oil quickly absorbed into the rash and it calmed the rash and within a day it had started to subside. It is the only thing I use now on my children. Its all natural which makes me feel better to. Hope this helps - and good luck. Its horrible seeing your baby cry and be un comfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now