Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What is a liner for?

(8 Posts)
wastingmyeducation Thu 21-Aug-08 13:48:39

I haven't been using any, as the liners I had would slip out of position and caused poop to smear around.
DS is 14wks now and his muslins get soaked through, so I'm working on doing a new fold, and moving onto the terries. Also, he only poops every couple days now (but its a mighty one when it appears!).
So what are liners for and how do I use them?

xx

nowwearefour Thu 21-Aug-08 13:51:04

liners are more useful when you have solid poo- either the fleece ones where the poocomes off easily into toilet or the paper ones where whole thing goes in the loo. only use when still just on milk is to stop poo staining nappy but just leave them out til ds on solids is my advice....

BigBadMousey Thu 21-Aug-08 15:48:36

You could choose to use fleece liners as a stay-dry layer which will keep your baby's bottom drier than no liner at all. I use them for that reason with DS (12wo)

wastingmyeducation Fri 22-Aug-08 09:07:36

I think I might leave the paper liners til he's weaning then.

How do you place the liner in the nappy? Which part of it am I trying to cover? I know that sounds daft, but is about covering the front or back. Pretty much the whole nappy gets soaked. Doesn't get any nappy rash though.

xx

BigBadMousey Fri 22-Aug-08 09:59:37

If you are using terries then just fold your nappy and place the fleece liner directly on top of the fold so that when you fasten the nappy it runs completely from the front to the back.

How much or how little you cover doesn't really matter - some shaped nappies are completely fleece lined - with my DS his liners are long and wide so that they go right up from under his tummy to just under his lower back. As long as the fleece is tucked inside the wrap you will be fine and not get any leaks. If the fleece hangs outside the nappy in places but inside the wrap then that is fine too.

You can buy fleece liners or make your own very cheaply. Any type of fleece will do (some people prefer anti-pil fleece but you don't have to use that - I don't). Just buy a metre of fleece fabric of your choice and cut into rectangles - you don't need to hem them. I made my liners big so that we get maximum coverage and I don't have cut new ones up when he gets bigger.

hth smile

Essie3 Fri 22-Aug-08 13:49:07

Ah, now, I had a thread on a similar topic recently - 'are liners necessary'! But I have a bf baby, so that's why they seem a bit pointless!
I find the paper liners pointless on wet nappies, but they cut the crap grin on a pooey nappy - it reduces the mass!! But I never know when the poonami (a term quickly becoming common usage on mumsnet) is coming so I always need a liner.

BigBadMousey Fri 22-Aug-08 21:27:25

but fleece liners aren't entirely pointless on a BF baby IMO.

wastingmyeducation Sat 23-Aug-08 19:29:58

I got a fleece liner free with my Nappy Lady order, so I'll give it a whirl.
Thank you all.

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now