Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

DS1 is taking his nappies off everytime he does something in them but he doesnt "get" the potty. What do we do?

(10 Posts)
Nbg Thu 21-Aug-08 09:52:02

We are going through so many nappies because of this. Its costing a fortune!

I've been leaving the potty wherever he is, showing him what to do but he just doesnt understand.
He will be 2 on saturday, so still quite young IMO for full on potty training.

So is there anything we can do to help or stop him stripping off every half an hour?grin

iMum Thu 21-Aug-08 09:54:40

nope,my ds2 is 2 at the end of sept and exactly the same. We let him run round in the buff and after a day or two of lots of puddles he finally craked it and so when at home pees and poos on the potty and wears a nappy when we go out because as he cant talk yet he cant tell me when he needs to go.

Nbg Thu 21-Aug-08 09:55:56

How did you get him to sit on the potty then?

FAQ Thu 21-Aug-08 09:56:39

is this pull-ups or normal nappies? I'm assuming that he's also pulling his trousers/shorts off too?

FAQ Thu 21-Aug-08 09:58:16

they don't really need to be able to talk - as long as they can point at their nappy - or give you a signal.

My SIL's DD2 was dry (day and night!) at 21 months shock!

olivo Thu 21-Aug-08 10:05:35

Hi NBG. this is part of the problem we have ahd with dd. she keeps taking her nappy off when she has done something, as well as asking for the loo. two days ago, we tried potty training, with big girls' pants - 2 successes the first day, 5 yesterday but today apart from first thing, soesnt seem bothered. i am going to put her in pants with the potty at home, but pull ups and take the potty when we go out. we have a big stack of books next tothe potty plus some new comics with stickers!

not sure if this helps but can sympathise!

iMum Thu 21-Aug-08 10:46:55

We just kept encouraging him to sit on the potty, held it under his wink when he did a wee so he got the idea about that being where wee should go.
But I have to disagree with FAQ being able to say i need a wee (or even just wee!) would be helpful say when you are in the car and cant see them point to their nappy/pant (which he does very well) or indeed when he is in the buggy.
At the moment things are going well but we still do have acidentes, i think they are very young to be wanting to potty train off their own bat.

Nbg Thu 21-Aug-08 11:04:34

Sorry I disappeared.
DS1 pulled the wire out and the laptop wouldnt let me back on hmm

Anyway, to answer FAQ, he has both pull ups and the sticky strip ones and he'll take both off including whatever he's wearing on his legs.

Olivo, have you just got rid of nappies totally in the day then?

I remember with dd that she was 2.6 when she started to ask for the toilet.
I know that ds won't be able to ask or be vocal about it. He is a very young 2 imo.
Although if he has a poo and I ask, he will tell me he has done one.

olivo Thu 21-Aug-08 11:59:30

nbg, yes, we've done real pants for day time since tuesday, but i have just had to go to work and so put her back into pull ups and took the potty for that as i couldn't risk an accident! she's fallen asleep in the car now so probably a good thing. i have said we'll persist in pants until she goes back to nursery next week; i suspect they may not be that keen and will want pull ups. they wer great with getting her on the loo before the summer so i trust their decision.i had to give it a go, even tho i think its probably too early, as she kept taking off and throwing her nappies, including the poo-ey ones, nice mess!!!

Nbg Thu 21-Aug-08 14:40:26

Well dd has had a friend round to play today and ds decided to take off the nappy and poo everywhere hmm

I'm going to have to do something.
Its just not come at a great time. We're away mon-fri next week with lots of days out, wednesday after that dd starts school and then the following monday, ds starts preschool!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now