Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Potty Training help! 3 weeks on and we are getting nowhere...

(8 Posts)
FairyFanackapan Wed 20-Aug-08 22:28:17

I started potty training my 2.1 year old DD three weeks ago today. We have had some successes but mainly becuase she will try to wee when sat on the potty, not because she is asking to go. She has only asked three times in the three weeks. She seems to save poos for nap times (when she is still wearing a nappy). If you ask her she can tell you that she should do her wees and poos in the potty chair, but I'm not sure she really understands it. My main concern is that she just doesn't seem to care - she will ask to take her pants off if they are wet, but that's it. She is very matter of fact about weeing and pooing on the floor and doesn't seem to see it as a problem or something she wants to stop.

I'll admit that perhaps I haven't approached this confidently so maybe this is affecting her view. I was pushed to train her during the summer holidays as I am at home, but all that's resulted is a miserable three weeks with both of us stuck inside. And lots more washing. I think I hit the wall tonight when she calmly weed whilst walking around in my sister's shoes. I'm really not sure where to go from here - do I stop completely or do I grin and think calm thoughts whilst cleaning my carpets every ten minutes?

ches Thu 21-Aug-08 03:39:32

Pull-ups! She's nearly there with the wees, so it doesn't make sense to give up, but she's not quite reliable for you two to enjoy your summer together. Go with the middle ground. It's complete nonsense that you have to do nappies or pants all the way.

JayneF Thu 21-Aug-08 14:09:13

Aww FairyF, I completely understand about being stuck at home. I am on only day 3 and I am stir crazy already! At least it is raining!

My son has aLWAYS woken up in the morning having done a poo...healways has. The only difference now that he is 23mths is that he says it is his cuddly dog that put it in the nappy not him! That always makes me smile.

I am not a Gina Ford fan generally, but I have read her potty training in a week bookand am following that. It is a bit misleading as there is a bit of groundwork to do before starting. However, I do think that it has some really good advice if you have the full time and attention to devote to it.

I also agree with ches and think you should stick with it. But read around a little (yeah,..I know,...no time!) andjust pick out a few tips for training girls (boys are apparantly harder, but I only have boys so I cannot comment. Good luck

RubySlippers Thu 21-Aug-08 14:13:12

personally i would stop

i started training DS at 2.1 as he was showing all the signs but whilst he was physically ready he wasn't mentally IYSWIM

we stopped after a poo in a shoe incident

i reckon when he is truly ready we will do it in a week or so

Rubyrubyruby Thu 21-Aug-08 14:15:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FairyFanackapan Thu 21-Aug-08 23:14:55

Thanks for all your replies. In some ways it's good to know that there isn't one agreed response - at least I haven't been missing something obvious! RubySlippers, may I ask how long you had been training before stopping? I'm intrigued by poo in a shoe incident - perhaps my sister will feel better if I can her she's not alone!

olivo Fri 22-Aug-08 08:04:25

Fairy, i am in a similar position to you though havent been going so long, only a few days. a wise MN told me if it was going to click, it'd probably be about day 3 - my dd has got worse so we are going for pull-ups today, still taking her to the loo or potty if she asks or if we think she might need it, but I will breathe a big sigh of relief to be able to go out and about as normal and to not have to wash a zillion pairs of pants and dresses each day!
LOL at the poo in a shoe incident! grin

RubySlippers Fri 22-Aug-08 08:07:51

10 days ...

it really wasn't brill from the start but his nursery were convinced he was ready ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now