Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

22mo DD seems to have decided to potty train herself - should I give in?

(18 Posts)
stealthsquiggle Tue 19-Aug-08 23:31:48

..in the last couple of days she has taken to announcing "wee wee Mummy" and if taken to the loo (I hadn't even got as far as getting the potties out the loft!) she duly wees, and her nappy is generally dry. She tried to object to a nappy as well but was eventually talked into pull-ups.

Would it be beyond mad to even try her in pants? We found the toilet seat for her tonight and she was so delighted that I had to persuade her off it (after she had wee-ed and poo-ed) to get into bath shock

Help - I am so not ready for this - DS was 2.9 before he would even consider it!

LittleDorrit Wed 20-Aug-08 11:18:10

Go for it - you have nothing to lose. If you try to discourage her, you might be sending the wrong message.
Try her in pants and if she is having accidents then you can just continue to use pull-ups. My DD started using her potty at 24 months (encouraged by me) and at first it was just first thing in the morning and at bath time, but she continued to wear a nappy. She is now 28 months and has been in pants for two weeks.

myjobismum Wed 20-Aug-08 11:33:56

yes definately - DS did this at 20mths - took my by total suprise to say the least - accidents did happen of course, but he was reliable enough after a week or 2 and now at 2y10m has been dry for 13months - so glad went with him and it is all in the past and long finished - let her try at least she seems like she really wants to smile good luck!

stealthsquiggle Wed 20-Aug-08 15:25:54

Hmm - I think I might go with your approach, littledorrit - leave her in nappies/pull-ups but take her whenever she asks, and see how we go.

This has come as as somewhat of a shock as I thought I was at least 6 months off doing the whole 'big girl pants' thing - apart from anything else, we are unequipped as for some reason which I cannot justify even to myself I feel that pants are one of the few things I won't be handing down from DS.

MrsStig Wed 20-Aug-08 15:28:56

stealth, my DD did exactly this - I really didn't want her out of nappys before we went on holidy (long car journey) but really I had no choice. She was also dry at night early. Time to get out the pants. smile

Thomcat Wed 20-Aug-08 15:33:11

But why are you no ready for it? If she's ready for it then that's great no? My DD has just been toilet trained and it's such utter bliss to have 1 less persons bum to change in the house.

stealthsquiggle Wed 20-Aug-08 15:37:39

Thomcat - DD is my youngest (of 2) - I guess I am just not geared up for the accidents phase, mentally or house-wise (we have been working on refurbing a bathroom so that not all of them are carpeted, but we haven't finished yet. Also as I am WOHM I need to talk to nursery about it as well - and our life is just not geared up to emergency toilet breaks, carrying potties and umpteen changes of clothes, etc, etc at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage her, I am just trying to adjust to managing this transition nearly a year younger than we did with DS!

Thomcat Wed 20-Aug-08 19:16:52

Well not all the rooms being carpeted is a good thing smile And if she's really ready then the accidents are only going to happen few & far between after a couple of weeks of getting used to it, and as we're still in the summer hols she might be pretty much sorted by the time nursery starts again. We started DD2 off and then within 1 week we went to see Charlie & Lola at the theatre and I though ohhhh no we're bound to have an accident, an hour and ahalf in the car there and back, having to take a potty and her toilet seat with us into theatre etc. It was a breeze. No accidents and no trouble. Hope yours goes smoothly. Good luck with it. smile

stealthsquiggle Wed 20-Aug-08 19:24:21

nursery is all the time (4 days/week) - not term-time only, but I am sure they will be fine with it once I have talked to them - and you misunderstand me - we have carpet everywhere including bathrooms (including the bath panels hmm) - we are trying to get to the stage of having one waterproof, washable bathroom.

On the plus side, a few accidents might hasten the process of getting rid of some of the other carpets grin

olivo Wed 20-Aug-08 19:51:50

stealthsquiggle (god, your name is hard to type after a glass of wine or two grin) i have had a similar time with my dd who is nearly two. she was getting very keen at using the loo and we thought we'd see where she went. we are now on day 2 of potty training and we had 2 successes yesterday, and 5 today, including 2 poos. we have been using big girl's pants but will go with the nursery if they prefer to continue with pull-ups. bite the bullet and go for it if she seems to be ready, it'll either work or not!
good luck!!

stealthsquiggle Wed 20-Aug-08 23:13:01

olivo - good luck to you and your DD too - DD did both wee and poo before bath tonight, but spent the rest of the day in nappies and didn't ask to go for a wee - we are home all next week so I may try it then (eek - on holiday the week after hmm)

Olihan Wed 20-Aug-08 23:29:52

My dd did this last year at exactly the same age. We had 2 weeks of occasional accidents then she was fine. I think if they decide they are ready then it's a pretty quick process and their age really doesn't come into it.

ches Thu 21-Aug-08 03:36:21

I would leave her in nappies if that's what you're comfortable with and take her to the toilet every time she asks. That's what we've been doing with our DS since he was 14 months old - started asking around 15 months old but before would go to the bathroom if he needed to wee and was asked - and he's very close to accident-free at 18 months. TBH nursery is the sticking point - they are completely inconsistent. angry

stealthsquiggle Thu 21-Aug-08 10:47:01

I told nursery this morning so we will see how they do - TBH she has only really been asking morning and evening so far even at home so it will be interesting to see how things develop - I am on unknown territory with nursery as well, since with DS it was a joint decision between us and (different) nursery to persuade/co-erce him into it hmm

LilRedWG Thu 21-Aug-08 11:29:02

Well done babySS!

DD (27 months) is sooooo not interested. She went through a phase of wanting to sit on the toilet but hates the potty we bought a few days ago and no longer wants to sit on the toilet often either

I'm just going to leave her for a few months I think, but am getting pressure from helpful family members to train her. hmm

stealthsquiggle Thu 21-Aug-08 11:35:45

Tell them to back off, LilRed - DS was (counts on fingers) about 33 months before we 'persuaded' him (with bribes of 'big boy' pants) - hence my panic surprise that DD has decided to start now!

mangolassi Thu 21-Aug-08 11:38:31

dd is almost 22 months and has been out of nappies since about 18 months, I think - she just started telling us when she needed to go. I agree that if she's ready, she's ready. We got her a potty but she wasn't that interested, just wanted to use the toilet.

We don't have carpets to worry about, though. Can you focus on saving money on nappies instead?

mabel1973 Fri 22-Aug-08 14:39:21

DS2 is 23 months and for the last 3 months has been asking to go to the toilet and using his little toilet seat (which DS1 refused to use!). Like you SS i am not geared up for this! My initial reaction was that he was far too young as DS1 was 2.5 when i potty trained him (after earlier unsuccessful attempts)... I am 6 months pg with no.3 and have been wondering if I should try and tackle it before the baby is born seeing as he is so keen (much more so than DS1 was) or leave it in case he regresses when the baby is born.
OH what to do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now