Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Baby powder - why am I not supposed to use this?

(20 Posts)
Essie3 Tue 19-Aug-08 17:19:18

I can't for the life of me remember.

I was just wondering because when DS has a very wet bot (reusable nappies here!) it seems it would be helpful.

MrsMattie Tue 19-Aug-08 17:20:59

Something to do with it being bad for their lungs. I couldnt use it on a newborn or a chilld with asthma, but otherwise, I can't see the harm.

CrushWithEyeliner Tue 19-Aug-08 17:22:07

if they inhale can be risky. having said that our parents generation used it loads didn't they?

I don't think it is mega helpful for nappy rash tbh....

plantsitter Tue 19-Aug-08 17:23:36

wasn't talc supposed to have been linked to cancer? But I don't think they actually found any good evidence for it.

Essie3 Tue 19-Aug-08 17:24:32

Oh, he doesn't have a rash. Just when he's damp/clammy (in the morning) I thought it would fix it. Currently I do nappy free time letting him dry naturally.

Seona1973 Tue 19-Aug-08 19:45:31

Is talcum powder safe for babies?

Seona1973 Tue 19-Aug-08 19:46:02

Is talcum powder safe for babies?

tutu100 Tue 19-Aug-08 22:35:21

you can use corn flower as a better alternative or green baby do a really nice talc free powder, but it is pricey.

bloss Tue 19-Aug-08 22:45:25

Message withdrawn

bethoo Tue 19-Aug-08 22:49:08

isnt it a carcogenic, it is ok to put on wet botties but not if there are open sores like sore nappy rash.
does make you wonder why they are stil allowed to produce it if it is tht dangerous though!

bloss Tue 19-Aug-08 22:51:49

Message withdrawn

loler Tue 19-Aug-08 22:54:36

When I had an ovarian cyst the gyy mentioned that they were looking at links between cysts and use of talc. Apparently new research at the time (long time ago now) had found talc particles at the centre of ovarian cancers - likely to have got there when used as a baby.

I guess it's not a problem on a DS for this reason!

theirmum Tue 19-Aug-08 22:56:13

oh gosh I had no idea it was dangerous I use it on both of mine will now stop!

loler Tue 19-Aug-08 23:03:06

Out of interest just had a google - this is from the cancer help website

Using talcum powder between your legs has been thought to increase the risk of ovarian cancer. The powder could, in theory, travel up into the vagina and then through the cervix into the womb. If it then worked its way down the fallopian tubes to the ovaries, it could get into the ovaries themselves and cause irritation. Constant irritation could potentially cause inflammation and lead to cancerous changes in cells.

In 2007, researchers carried out a 'meta-analysis' of 16 studies of talc and ovarian cancer risk. This means they combined all the information from the studies and looked at the results together. Although the combined results showed that there could be a small increased risk if you use talc, they decided that this was probably a statistical blip, because the risk of ovarian cancer didn't increase more if women used larger amounts of talc.

So it's a maybe not a definate?

BigBadMousey Tue 19-Aug-08 23:07:32

Essie - do you use a fleece liner? That should help with the wet bot considerably.

bellabelly Tue 19-Aug-08 23:10:01

Avent do a liquid talc cream which has the same effect as talc but no inhalation risk.

dashboardconfessionals Thu 21-Aug-08 16:22:07

Message withdrawn

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Thu 21-Aug-08 16:32:43

Not good for girl babies because of ( possble, possible) connection with ovarian cancer.

Haylstones Thu 21-Aug-08 16:42:24

I've been wondering about this as ds has several chins and gets very sore in between the layers of skin where it gets wet from incessant dribbling. HV suggested using talc but I wasn't sure
Does anyone else have any suggestions? It gets really sore (think red raw) despite me cleaning and drying it and using a barrier cream sad

Heated Thu 21-Aug-08 16:46:12

I read the findings ages ago when ds1 was a baby but there is no conclusive link as far as I'm aware & still use talc occasionally on dd's bottom when needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now