Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help needed - using strange potty training tactics and now stuck

(5 Posts)
Larsy89 Mon 18-Aug-08 20:43:46

I've been potty training my 2.5 yr old DD and we have reached a stalemate and I really don't know how to progress from here. She has always refused to use a potty so very gradually I've got her "using" the toilet. She lets me know when she needs to go so in the past I would take her pants off and put a nappy on and she just used to sit on the closed toilet lid, do her business and then I would take the nappy off and she went back into her pants. Next stage, I lifted the lid and she sat on a toilet trainer seat still with her nappy on. Current stage, she sits on the toilet trainer seat with her nappy kind of balanced across the trainer seat. I don't do it up but when she goes she pulls the front up and holds it against her as the contact seems to give her confidence. My next stage was nappies cut in half and my plan was for her to just clutch the front portion to her so that eventually I could substitute this for a wad of toilet tissue. BUT she absolutely refuses to give up the whole nappy and will hold herself all day if I don't drape the nappy across the loo seat. Has anybody used this crazy method? Any tips on how we can progress? I have tried every bribe under the sun. Plus it's costing me a fortune in nappies because I need a new nappy every time she goes! I'm sure she's ready for potty training - she hardly ever has accidents and happily throws the nappy aside when she's done with it. We've been like this for a few months now.

thisisyesterday Mon 18-Aug-08 20:52:40

lol, I thnk you've done really well so far larsy.

I think I would be tempted to ditch the nappies completely.
either say you've run out, and show her there are none left.
or have a chat with her about how they are all going because now she is a big girl and doesn't need them, but she can use some toilet paper.

you know her best, so can judge with method would suit.
other than that I can't really think of anything else

thisisyesterday Mon 18-Aug-08 20:52:54

ooh, unless you just keep making the nappy smaller and smaller???

Larsy89 Mon 18-Aug-08 21:07:54

Thanks for your encouragement. We did go cold turkey on the nappies for 2 days last week and on both days she held her wee all day from when she got up until about 5.30pm when she was pleading with me to put her to bed because she knew she'd get put into her nightime nappy when she went to bed. It was awful -she was completely hysterical and I was a wreck by the end of day 2! I was worried she might give herself a water works infection.
Great idea about the smaller nappies. I will have the only 2.5 yr old using prem baby nappies by the end of this week!

thisisyesterday Tue 19-Aug-08 20:48:28

would she let you put toilet paper in the nappy? and then maybe go with just the toilet paper?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now