Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

best essential oil for nappy bucket that isn't tea tree oil?

(15 Posts)
BellaBear Mon 18-Aug-08 09:14:10

I've been putting tea tree oil in my nappy bucket and we've discovered that we all hate the smell of it.

Are there any alternatives?

I was thinking about something citrussy, but presumably part of the tto appeal is that it is anti-bacterial.

The nappies are usually washed every two days, sometimes three.

thisisyesterday Mon 18-Aug-08 09:21:52

i don't put anything in mine and it's fine.

BellaBear Mon 18-Aug-08 09:32:05

really? I didn't when it was just bf poo but now we are weaning it's getting a little smellier. Probably nothing i can't cope with though!

ilovemydog Mon 18-Aug-08 09:33:14

lavender is good

loler Mon 18-Aug-08 09:34:49

I put either orange or lavendar in when I remember.

BellaBear Mon 18-Aug-08 09:35:04

oohhh, I might have some of that somewhere! thanks

4andnotout Mon 18-Aug-08 10:20:43

Iput a few drops of lavender oil on a sanitary towel stuck in the lid.

GreenMonkies Mon 18-Aug-08 10:27:00

pine is anti-bac too.

I didn't bother putting anything in the bucket, but sometimes put a drop or two of tea tree in the fabric softener drawer when I washed them. If the lid on the nappy bucket fits properly the smell shouldn't escape!

eidsvold Mon 18-Aug-08 10:31:28

i have used a couple of drops on a dry wipe or cotton wool bud of lavendar or eucalyptus oil.

Tatties Mon 18-Aug-08 10:32:50

I used to use lavender oil too (which I think also has anti-bacterial properties)

mylittlepudding Mon 18-Aug-08 20:13:40

Read somewhere on here to rinse out in white vinegar. Seems to work - tho now I use a swing bin with bin bags and that's even better - no smell at all.

Bewilderbeast Mon 18-Aug-08 20:25:01

lavendar

aidansyummymummy Mon 18-Aug-08 22:59:45

Lavendar again! Also put a few drops down sink every now and again which makes bathroom smell nice,

BellaBear Tue 19-Aug-08 11:38:19

thanks for all replies, will get some lavender

snuff1712 Fri 22-Aug-08 12:52:05

I used to put a large spoonful of baking soda into a muslin square and sit this on top of the nappies inside the bucket. It helped to neutralise any odours. Just tied up the muslin or put an elastic band around it so the baking soda didn't spill out anywhere. Everytime I put in another nappy I simply opened the lid, picked up the muslin, but the nappy in and put the muslin back on top. Was great for neutralising odours..This only applies if you're dry pailing I guess though.

You could also put some lavender into the bottom of your bucket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now