Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Bamboo Shaped Nappies advice needed.

(25 Posts)
BabiesEverywhere Sun 17-Aug-08 12:24:46

I used version 2 one size pocket Bum Genius with my DD which are flagging now (velcro tabs becoming unstitched etc) We still use this as backup for night for toddler DD.

Now with our brand new DS, I had bought some shaped bamboo nappies brand new off ebay, washed them 4 times to fluff them up in non biological powder.

Day 6 after cord fell off, we started using the bamboo nappies after a day and using 10 nappies, I found all his skin went red where the nappy was and he started with a nappy rash ?

What did I do wrong ? I washed his bottom with cloth wipes and warm water every nappy change and I did frequent changes.

I slapped on nappy cream and after a couple of hours in his sisters bum genius nappies the redness disappeared and after over night the rash went too.

So is it the bamboo nappy or how I am using them ?

I am not sure whether to sell bamboo nappies and save up to start replacing the Bum genius ones with version 3 ones (the ones I have won't last another child) or have another go with the shaped ones.

I am so dissapointed as the bamboo nappies are so soft and fluffy and dry relatively fast.

Flamesparrow Sun 17-Aug-08 12:25:31

What are you using for liners?

BabiesEverywhere Sun 17-Aug-08 12:26:45

I was told they didn't need them ? Is that wrong ?

ib Sun 17-Aug-08 12:28:18

I would wash them with no powder or with soap nuts and use a fleece liner before giving up.

BabiesEverywhere Sun 17-Aug-08 12:28:35

I could cut up some fleece for liners, however it wouldn't stop the redness around his legs and up to his little waist.

LackaDAISYcal Sun 17-Aug-08 12:29:16

I would use fleece liners to keep the wee soaked nappy away from his skin.

My Dd is prone to horrible nappy rash unless we use fleece liners.

Flamesparrow Sun 17-Aug-08 12:29:36

Bumgenius have a built in liner, so it could be that the wetness against his skin is causing the problem - I agree to try out some fleece liners and maybe soapnuts.

Which bamboo nappies are they?

BabiesEverywhere Sun 17-Aug-08 12:30:23

I guess I have been spoilt with the bum genius as they don't need liners and no redness anywhere as well.

BabiesEverywhere Sun 17-Aug-08 12:31:36

x post.

They are labelled Geobel but they have a different name now. That is why I got them cheap on ebay as it was stock with the 'old' label on them.

Flamesparrow Sun 17-Aug-08 12:32:35

Yup, bambinex. I have never had redness with them, so would say try out different powder and the fleece liners and see how you go

LackaDAISYcal Sun 17-Aug-08 12:33:43

we use them babies.....now labelled bambinex. they are great nappies so i would stick with them and try and get the liner option sorted before giving up entirely.

BabiesEverywhere Sun 17-Aug-08 12:34:06

Thanks Flame...off to cut up fleece.

BabiesEverywhere Sun 17-Aug-08 12:36:41

Daisy, Another vote to try liners

LackaDAISYcal Sun 17-Aug-08 12:39:55

just make sure they are wide enough to cover the whole nappy. I'm pretty sure it;s OK to have the liner sticking out the edge of the nappy and that provided it is tucked into the wrap it won't wick, but I defer to Flame for that one smile

Flamesparrow Sun 17-Aug-08 12:42:10

Yup - I always do really wide ones that hang out, apart from anything else it stops the whole poo caught in elastic issue!

ilovemydog Sun 17-Aug-08 12:47:30

Are the nappies 100% bamboo? Some have polyester mix - i.e. 90% bamboo and 10% polyester, so perhaps an allergic reaction to that?

So annoying that the manufacturers instructions are to wash the nappies first, but then once you've washed them, you cannot get your money back!

Flamesparrow Sun 17-Aug-08 12:58:22

But you would only know about a reaction once they had been worn.... so still no money back hmm It isn't some big money grabbing conspiracy - you wash so there is no factory residue against your child's bum, and so that they get better absorbency. Not much help now obv, but if you just wash and try out one, you can usually return the others, and many places will give you a partial refund on the used one.

All are a polyester mix btw - it is what the bamboo is woven into to make the base for the terry loops (if that makes sense?)

ilovemydog Sun 17-Aug-08 13:03:47

Thanks Flamesparrow - I didn't know that about Bamboo being mixed smile

The only other thing I was thinking is that you wouldn't know what they were washed in previously, but since Ebay doesn't sell used nappies, suppose this isn't in issue...

needaholiday Sun 17-Aug-08 13:50:01

apparently the production methods used by some bamboo manufacturers can cause a problem too- they use caustic soda to break down the fibres to make it into fabric fibres. The chemical residue can cause problems. Also some babies cannot wear bamboo on the skin anyway as they are intolerant. Far better with cotton terry.
And sorry to correct but not all bamboo is blended with polyester. Some is blended with cotton.

BabiesEverywhere Sun 17-Aug-08 19:55:26

I am a bit disappointed that I will need to carry another layer for the nappies, I liked the simplicity of the two part system. Luckily I have a metre of fleece upstairs so I'll have a go with some liners.

BabiesEverywhere Thu 21-Aug-08 14:34:55

Whilst looking for the fleece I found some reuseable paper liners (which I must of bought a couple of years ago for my DD).

So I have rewashed and super rinsed the nappies and DS is now in them again plus a paper liner. Lets see how they go.

AnnVan Sun 24-Aug-08 02:36:30

Bugger - why didn't my Bambinex nappies come at a discount, they still have the Geobel label on them <<stalks off sulking>> wink

BabiesEverywhere Sun 24-Aug-08 13:31:07

I got mind off ebay, direct from the company. Shame you didn't get a discount when you got nappies with the old labels.

BabiesEverywhere Mon 25-Aug-08 10:10:29

I give up, I rewashed the bamboo nappies and did two superrinse cycles with no powder AND used liners and DS still reacted to them

SO I have reluctantly order a few more Bum Genius nappies to replace the falling to pieces ones we used with DD. I am disappointed that the bamboo ones didn't work out and that we had to find money for yet more cloth nappies. But on the bright side DH has done some overtime recently plus we save money using cloth in the long run.

Anyone want to buy some barely used bamboo shapped nappies and brand new medium wraps ?

AnnVan Mon 25-Aug-08 10:19:00

What type of wraps are they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now