Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Has anyone potty trained a 19mth old??

(15 Posts)
Nemoandthefishes Sun 17-Aug-08 09:35:01

DD2 is only 12mths in age behind dd1 and obviously monkey see monkey doo she has been insisting on nappies off and sitting on both potty and toilet. So have been letting her run around naked and she has caught herself in time about a third of the time. So does this mean she is ready?? If she has the nappy on she tells you while she is weeing or it might be just before I am unsure due to her having the nappy on. Last night she shouted dh because she wanted a wee[after she had been in bed an hour]and she did a wee..so do I just keep her bare bummed in the house or do I go the whole hog with training??

Arbuthnot Sun 17-Aug-08 09:42:14

I had the same with DD2 although she is nearly 22 months. I have reluctantly decided to go the full hog and she is great with wees. However she doesn't seem to know when she needs a poo. If I am watching her I can usually catch her and get her to a potty or toilet but if not she poos in her knickers and then comes to tell me. And typically she has gone from regularly pooing first thing and around 6 to complete randomness! Very different from DD1 who would only poo in a nappy for a good few months after she was wee trained! Apparently half the world potty trains by 18 months so I reckon just go for it!

Nemoandthefishes Sun 17-Aug-08 09:47:51

thanks arbut..I thought it was just rose tinted glasses parents who tell you people are potty trained at 18mths..lol I thought dd1 was early at week after her 2nd birthday but she was showing signs a few months earlier but I chose to ignore them..lol

Arbuthnot Sun 17-Aug-08 09:51:50

Good luck! I have to admit I hate potty training almost as much as weaning but I plan on buying myself a nice bottle of wine with some of the money I save by not buying nappies. And some good carpet cleaner! grin

SquiffyHock Sun 17-Aug-08 09:56:05

DD is 22 months and is using a potty very reliably at home but I haven't tried it when out and about. I had no intention of training this early as DS was 2 and a half but she wants to so I thought I would try and go with it.

BabiesEverywhere Sun 17-Aug-08 09:56:18

There is no reason why you can't have her bare bottomed in the house OR train her OR try one of the latter things and stop if it doesn't work out for you

There are no strict rules for toilet training

ches Sun 17-Aug-08 13:17:08

Started DS at 14 months, but kept him in pull-ups to start. It did not stop him wanting to wee/poo in the toilet and is very easy because it's so flexible. If he needs to wee and we're in the car I acknowledge and say "when we get home." He knows it's okay if he has to to go in the pull-up. Anyway, fast forward he's 18 months today and still has a few wee accidents (though has had completely dry days) and always poos in the toilet for me, but has not yet done it for nursery. I'd say he's about 80% PT at 18 months. His friend was also about 75% PT at 18 months, fully PT at 21 months (nights too, but her mom lifts her twice).

HaventSleptForAYear Sun 17-Aug-08 21:18:52

I was just about to start a thread about this!

DS2 has been going on his potty quite a lot since he could sit (we do a version of "infant potty training" ie poo and wee-catching on signal from child).

Now he really doesn't want to wear nappies and goes on his potty quite a lot and often asks.

BUT when I've put him in pants or left him bare-bummed we have had some nasty accidents.

DS1 was EXACTLY the same but we didn't start with him til he was 25 mths.

Just wondering if anyone had done it successfully at this age - I have about 2 weeks before I go back to work and it would be great to get it "done" grin

No more nappies to wash!

My dd is just 18 months and has recently started to tell me when she has done a poo. However new baby due in 2 week so no way Im trying it yet. I am dreading it anyway.
Good luck grin

keevamum Sun 17-Aug-08 21:30:47

My DD1 was fully potty trained at 18 months and I absolutely mean it. She started nursery full time at 20 months and she was completely potty trained. I never took nappies in for her and she only ever had 1 accident. I'm not saying this to boast just to say it is achievable if the child is ready. DD2 is 27 months and still not there!!

Wow so do you think dd telling me she has pood is a sign she could be ready, or just that she is starting to become aware of something there.
Sometimes when I think she might be doing one I ask her and she says no. She is always telling the truth.

naturalblonde Sun 17-Aug-08 21:46:42

My dd (23mos) is just not ready, if i ask her where she should do poos and wees she points to the potty, and then wees on the floor. She does sometimes tell me when she's done a poo though.

DC2 due in 4 weeks so not really gonna try for a couple of months though.

They say, the later the easier it is.

Im with you Naturalblonde
Going to wait, cant see me coping with a newborn due soon too.

keevamum Sun 17-Aug-08 21:52:26

I think the most important thing is when you think he/she is ready just go for it. No wishy washy half measures just take away the nappies and leave a potty in the room with you all the time. Use lots of reminders and lots of rewards when she does one and just make it good fun for her. If an accident happens just say never mind but don't make a big deal of it. However, if there are at least 3 accidents for a couple of days then I would think maybe not quite ready. Stop and leave it for a bit and then start afresh.
When I potty trained my 18 month old she had got it by the end of the day. Honestly only ever had 1 accident. DD2 a harder nut to crack.hmm

maygirl Sun 17-Aug-08 23:26:12

Either ! DS was like your DD, he would take self to potty a good amount of the time when having nappy free time or would sometimes say needed to go when he was in a nappy. Nappy free time increased at home over a few months until it was all the time. Sometimes risked a trip to the park, especially if he'd just been for a wee, or if DH forgot he was nappy free!
He first went to nursery commando ( wink! he hated having pants on and at first would confuse them with a nappy and wee in them!) at 19mths with just a few accidents. At this point I took away nappies totally, as he would wee in it if wearing one, and I knew he was capable of using the toilet, but agree with BE, no strict rules! And also not boasting, was all him, not me, but wanted to agree that it is achievable if they're ready, even for boys, and isn't always very stressful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now