Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Should I let him use the potty?

(11 Posts)
ajm200 Thu 14-Aug-08 17:21:36

My LO is used to having lots of bare bottom time as he is in the middle of potty training and is not very good at pulling his pants down.

Today he has an upset tummy that means he is doing very messy poos and he isn't great at doing poos in the pot at the best of times. After cleaning up some terrible messes, I've put him in a nappy as I've run out of pullups. He's also been sick a few times, each time in the potty (it shows I've been having a lot of tummy problems lately and he pays attention)

He keeps bringing me the potty and asking if he can do a wee-wee or poo. I take the nappy off, he does the smallest wee then runs off without the nappy abd has an accident.

Will I do any harm if I leave him in a nappy and ignore his requests for 24hrs until his bad tummy clears up or should I let him continue to run around with no nappy and deal with the consequences. I should say that I am heavily pregnant and getting down to clean the carpet very difficult.

ajm200 Thu 14-Aug-08 17:59:25

bump

ajm200 Thu 14-Aug-08 18:58:37

bump

ajm200 Fri 15-Aug-08 08:25:19

bump

SoupKitchen Fri 15-Aug-08 08:27:32

I would leave the nappy on.
Hope he is better soon.

OracleInaCoracle Fri 15-Aug-08 08:28:54

its a tough one. i would be inclined to leave him without a nappy. is there anyone who can come over to helpyou?

bubblagirl Fri 15-Aug-08 08:40:21

i have put ds nappy back on for same reason as he hates having accidents and puts him off but he is good when all over and nappy comes off he goes back to using potty again

but i dont think its fair to him to have him pooing himself as he gets so distressed put him on potty when he asks but let him have a min without nappy then pop one back on until its cleared

to hot for having poo all round the house

ajm200 Fri 15-Aug-08 08:50:11

Thanks everyone. I'm worried that leaving him in a nappy will set the potty training right back to the beginning but I have no-one who can come over to help so I guess it's going to be another day of trying to catch him to get the nappy back on.

He giggles, runs off and says run mum-mum run when I try to catch him

I guess his tummy will be no better today as DH came home from work last night and let him eat 3 peaches.. so I'll keep my fingers crossed that he's better tomorrow.

ajm200 Fri 15-Aug-08 08:50:13

Thanks everyone. I'm worried that leaving him in a nappy will set the potty training right back to the beginning but I have no-one who can come over to help so I guess it's going to be another day of trying to catch him to get the nappy back on.

He giggles, runs off and says run mum-mum run when I try to catch him

I guess his tummy will be no better today as DH came home from work last night and let him eat 3 peaches.. so I'll keep my fingers crossed that he's better tomorrow.

OracleInaCoracle Fri 15-Aug-08 08:54:13

poor thing sad

ches Sat 16-Aug-08 05:08:48

I would put the nappy back on. People thrive on success, not failure. If he knows it's okay to wee/poo in the nappy, and okay to wee/poo in the toilet, but wrong to do it on the floor, then there will be no confusion. However, by preventing any "accidents" (wee/poo in the wrong place) it won't be setting him back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now