Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Washable wipes - anybody got a recipe?

(25 Posts)
Essie3 Thu 14-Aug-08 15:32:51

I'm going to start with washable wipes (dead easy really because I use washable nappies!). I have muslins to cut up, but what can I put them in?
Anybody got a recipe to keep DS's bum soft and lovely smelling? grin

PInkyminkyohnooo Thu 14-Aug-08 15:37:47

chammomile tea and almond oil. I put them in those coloureed lided boxes from IKEA.

ilovemydog Thu 14-Aug-08 15:39:07

any chance of a photo/link pinky?

Essie3 Thu 14-Aug-08 15:40:03

Oh, yeah, the 'what can I put them in' wasn't clear - I was looking for a solution rather than a container grin.
Yours sounds yummy, Pinky!

chamomile tea and a teaspoon of honey to 2 mugs of water.

Or try this

Their stuff is fab.

PInkyminkyohnooo Thu 14-Aug-08 15:52:32

ilovemydog- do you mean the boxes? heresmile

Essie3 Thu 14-Aug-08 16:06:05

I'm ok for a box - I got a plastic box for holding pampers wipes in the bounty pack. I'm going to use that - it probably counts as a protest! grin

PInkyminkyohnooo Thu 14-Aug-08 16:11:14

I know the exact box you mean. I got one of those, for the too. I was linking for ilovemydog- I think- I'm guessing she didn't want a link for the tea.

PInkyminkyohnooo Thu 14-Aug-08 16:12:38

No idea what the 'for the too' bit in that post was for. i STRUGGLE WITH THIS LAPTOP KEYBOARD SOMETIMES oops capslock- see what I mean blush

ilovemydog Thu 14-Aug-08 16:14:48

pinky - thanks. perfect! ugh - a trip to Ikea [looking for ikea hysterical smiley]

maybelaterdarling Thu 14-Aug-08 16:16:17

I've made up a spray bottle of chamomile tea with lavendar oil and spray wipes when needed. Do you keep the wipes in the container, so you're ready to go? I find my solution goes a bit musty after a few days. Might try your approach next time I need to refill my witches brew!

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 14-Aug-08 16:16:42

we don't add anything, we just use water.
they are stored dry and we dunk them in a little pot of water as we need them,

YoungYolandaYorgensen Thu 14-Aug-08 17:11:59

I did use this recipe when ds3 was little but it's not a nice lentilly recipe like the others, I'm afraid

2 cups water
2 tbsp Johnson's'baby oil or lotion
2 tbsp Johnson's baby bath

Now, I did start by leaving the wipes soaking in this but after a few days it got a bit yucky and slimy so I ended up keeping it in a tub and just dipping the wipes in it as needed.

Poor ds4 only gets water!blush

PInkyminkyohnooo Thu 14-Aug-08 17:35:01

yes I do make the wipes wet, but only enough for 2 days max, and they are fine. I find the oil helps keep them nice and makes them 'glide' over DD's botty a bit more smoothly, IYSWIM!grin

I use baby oil if i have no almond oil in.

You only need a teaspoon of almond oil to 1 pot of tea.

wastingmyeducation Thu 14-Aug-08 20:24:33

My recipe is chamomile tea, with a dollop of almond oil and a dash of lavender oil, in a spray bottle, that I spray on flannels.
It's important to remember that almond oil is made from nuts, as HV pointed out to me. blush
It' no problem for us as I've not cut nuts from my diet, but if you're prone to allergies it's worth bearing in mind.
Where did those of you who use spray bottles get them from? Mine is a bit sprayier than I hoped for.

xx

YoungYolandaYorgensen Thu 14-Aug-08 21:31:43

I got a nice spray bottle from a cloth nappy site which has since closed down, so not much help to you! Did you get yours from a cloth nappy site?

wastingmyeducation Thu 14-Aug-08 22:25:29

I picked it up in the hair accessories section of Superdrug. The ones alongside the travel soap cases etc. were smaller than I wanted.

xx

DisplacementActivity Thu 14-Aug-08 22:34:05

Message withdrawn

MrsBadger Thu 14-Aug-08 22:45:15

I use plain water in a sports bottle - dd can't open the cap but it's easy for me to splosh a bit on the flannel.

MrsJamin Sat 16-Aug-08 09:23:04

chamomile tea, halos n horns baby wash, walnut oil - fab, keeps for approx 3 days. I bought brilliant washable wipes from weenotions and put them in perfectly-sized plastic boxes with lids from Tesco (in the kids storage section).

lazyhen Mon 18-Aug-08 08:41:30

I use flannels from woolworths (30p each) stacked in a tupperwear (from Ikea I think). Usually I stack up about 7 in there and pour over a pint of my own recipe...

A pint of herbal tea (whatever I have in the house that I'm using up from pregnancy), so have used mint tea, fennel and now on strawberry! Add to this a dash of sunflower oil. Pour jug over stacked flannels and they're ready to go. I don't use them when out and about though.

The reason I switched from baby wipes is that they seemed to disagree with DD's bum. She has 2 consecutive days in nursery where you couild tell by the end of say 2 her bum wasn't as good as it could be. I've sent in cotton wool for them to use with water now.

lollipopmother Mon 18-Aug-08 10:45:16

Stupid question no.1 here!

When you're making the tea, do you make it with boiling water and just the one teabag, or do you just use cold water? More than one bag?? blush

lazyhen Mon 18-Aug-08 11:22:27

I use 1 tea bag in one pint of boiling water, then a glug of oil.

HTH

Liz79 Mon 25-Aug-08 11:19:51

washable wipes stacked in carte dor ice cream tub. pour over 1 mug of camomile tea. wipes run out after 2 days which is how long it takes for the bucket to get full. not long enough for the wipes to go rancid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now