Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is he ready?

(4 Posts)
1petshortofazoo Thu 14-Aug-08 12:21:42

I put DS in pants during the day when he was 2 1/2 (6mths ago) and he caught on very quickly and was staying dry within the week.
He asked a couple of weeks ago if he could go to bed with no nappy to which I said no but he kept on asking so I gave in. I explained about the ins and outs and he seems to get it.
the first 2 nights he wet first thing in the morning and on the 3rd he managed to get to the loo which I gave him lots of praise but since then he has wet every night 8 in total. during the night anf in the morining, I made a star chart for him but he just gets upset and mardy that he doesnt get a star even tho I have explained it over and over.

anyway I am thinking about putting him back in the nappies but i just dont want to confuse him. Do you think I should persist or give in and try again in a few months?

Jodie x

Jael Thu 14-Aug-08 15:33:27

Are you just using the toilet, or a potty as well? With my daughter, we used the toilet and the potty. She's very forward for her age, we started PT at 15mnths. Also, is he still in a cot or is he in a toddler bed. I think you'll confuse him if you put him back into nappies again, id keep persisting. Make sure he has his last drink at least 2 hours before bedtime, and see if he'll go to the toilet before he gets in to bed. My daughter's 2 and a half, she's been potty trained since she was 18 months and we found it alot easier when she was in a bed. We had loads of accidents at first, but now she'll do a wee before she gets into bed, I take her out again around 11 oclock for another wee and she also has her potty in her room overnight, so when she wakes in the morning she goes by herself. Might not be as lucky with the next one though! I'd keep trying, give him loads of praise when he is dry in the morning, and you will get there. Don't give up! x

PortAndLemon Thu 14-Aug-08 15:50:32

I think if he's not physiologically ready then it won't work. Maybe put him into pull-ups or something at night so he doesn't feel as though it's a nappy? Then transfer the star to being for doing a big wee in the potty/loo as soon as he gets up, which will encourage the right kind of behaviour, and try again in a few months.

1petshortofazoo Thu 14-Aug-08 23:31:29

Thanks for the advice, He is in his cotbed without the sides so he is able to go to the loo if he wants to. He doesnt use the potty anymore, mainly because he forgets to hold his todger down and ends up weeing on the floor.
In hinsight I think I should have done the star for going to the loo in the moring and not in his nappy for a few weeks first, I think I will give it a little longer. every morning when he wakes up he tells me he has weed but then says 'Don't worry mum, I wont do it again' what do I say to that.
I have tried to limit his drinks before bed but its hard when he is hanging off your leg winging that hes really thisty and drinking you round the bend lol

I think half the problem is that he is a heavy sleeper. I have just checked him and he had wet but was still asleep unaware that he had done so....hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now