Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Flat nappies- how do you fold yours?

(18 Posts)
QueenBhannae Tue 12-Aug-08 19:40:39

I have invested in 24 bright bots flats and have been using the kite fold on my 2yo and the newborn fold on my teeny 11mth old.

I fold, add a booster and a fleece liner and nippa together but the legs always seem too open iykwim?

Do any of you have any other folding techniques please as my dd2 managed to poo out of the side and bypass the nappy completely onto my new rug shock grin

Thanks

BigBadMousey Tue 12-Aug-08 19:57:27

Index of folds here

I do the Bat fold and roll the legs up into themselves to stop leaks - I mainly use it because of the way the fold comes together - very clever (although not the best reason to choose a fold I admit grin)

tassisssss Tue 12-Aug-08 20:01:08

Like BBM, I do the bat fold. It's the only one I've tried and like BBM I roll the legs up into themselves which makes for a neater fit I think.

QueenBhannae Tue 12-Aug-08 20:42:45

Thanks for the link BBM
Is it pretty tragic that I have just enjoyed trying out every single fold on a terry lol!
The one that I thought was the newborn fold was in fact the bat fold!(can you tell Im new to this?)

I love the girls fold by Gaynor and will attempt the ro fold for my ds.

I have them folded and at the ready for tomorrow.

Thanks again smile

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 12-Aug-08 20:47:01

I've just started experimenting with flat nappies with DS (2), was just using shaped before. I've been using the kitefold but I tuck/roll the legs in after nippa-ing to get a better fit. Seems to work fairly well.

DC2 due in December so will have to get to grips with newborn folds...

LackaDAISYcal Tue 12-Aug-08 20:50:35

I use the jo fold from the nappy lady website, also rolling the legs in a bit smile

happynappies Tue 12-Aug-08 20:57:15

I also use the Jo fold - dd now 20 months and I've used this fold since birth - perhaps I should be more adventurous and try a new one??!

georgimama Tue 12-Aug-08 21:01:45

well now I am embarrassed. I also thought the bat fold was called a newborn fold, but worse than that, used to use the Gaynor's girls' fold for DS when the bat fold got too small!!!

Poor DS. Then I used the kite fold and now I am a lazy arse and use disposables. I did keep it up for 10 months though.

QueenBhannae Tue 12-Aug-08 21:25:01

Just put ds in a maria boy fold and boosted and lined it and it is sooo small looking its as if he is wearing a dispie!

Loads of soakage up front and nice and light on his rear. I like it!

Will see how it fairs overnight.
It is a bit fiddly to fold but it may well be worth it...

Thanks for everyones input smile

BigBadMousey Tue 12-Aug-08 21:37:29

well I know what babyDS and I will be playing tomorrow - just as well he is a tolerant and forgiving little soul grin

jeanybeeny Wed 13-Aug-08 09:43:08

I've tried all sorts of folds, but probably my favourite is the Jo fold, because it's so versatile, and can be adjusted for different sizes. It also gives lots of padding between the legs and at the front where DS needs it most.

QueenBhannae Wed 13-Aug-08 11:12:31

The maria fold was superb!
Lasted the whole night through and is mega absorbant thanks to the positioning for boys. Normally I have a wet lad even with the boost and fleece but he was dryer.
Will use this fold for night and experiment with some daytime options.
Thanks again for link BBM smile

BigBadMousey Wed 13-Aug-08 11:57:50

Glad it worked smile

jeanybeeny Wed 13-Aug-08 14:36:07

As a matter of interest, how do you secure the nappy on DC, with nappy pins, or those nipper things. I use good old fashioned nappy pins, because I've never been able to get to grips with those nappy nippers, if you'll excuse the pun!

QueenBhannae Wed 13-Aug-08 16:07:44

nappy nippas are what I use as my eyesight is so awful that I cant even get a ballpoint pen back in its lid at close range pmsl so with sharp points I would definately cause damage!

BigBadMousey Wed 13-Aug-08 19:02:23

jeanybeeny - I've used both but prefer nippas as I find them easy tp use. I know quite a few people who don't like nippas and use pins FT instead though. Took me a while to find some napy pins though and when I asked in shops people looked at me as if I were derranged -I'm assuming that was because I was asking for nappy pins but now I come to think about it.......

georgimama Wed 13-Aug-08 20:44:19

Have never used pins, always nippas. They need to be given a good stretch first but I found them fine. And they avoid the issue of impalement of newborn baby with pin at 2am, which my mum tells me used to happen a lot when she changed my nappy...

georgimama Wed 13-Aug-08 20:44:45

Have never used pins, always nippas. They need to be given a good stretch first but I found them fine. And they avoid the issue of impalement of newborn baby with pin at 2am, which my mum tells me used to happen a lot when she changed my nappy...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now