Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Washing bamboo reusables

(15 Posts)
suedonim Tue 12-Aug-08 19:16:01

Can someone give me a quick rundown on caring for bamboo reusables? A friend is thinking of buying them for her new baby but says they need soaking in Napisan and a nappy bucket. I was under the impression that that wasn't necessary nowadays so what are your tips?

jellyforbrains Tue 12-Aug-08 19:21:06

No need to soak. Just put in bucket, but don't soak in anything and wash with a small amount of washing powder and a bit of sanitiser (some sanitisers now can just be put in with the powder).

Flamesparrow Tue 12-Aug-08 19:21:53

i don't even do the sanitiser - just dry paila nd wash

MrsJamin Tue 12-Aug-08 19:23:14

best tip is to do a cold rinse first, and then a 60 degree wash with detergent.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 12-Aug-08 19:23:42

No need for napisan and soaking at all with modern nappies and washing machines, and i would think especially not with bamboo as it has natural anti-bacterial properties.

I dry pail all my nappies (have a mix of cotton terry, bamboo terry, pockets, microfibre) and I wash every other day with cold rinse, then a 40 degree wash and extra rinse with one capful of non concentrated fairy.

Nappies usually come out lovely and any persistent stains get some sun bleaching which usually shifts them.

suedonim Tue 12-Aug-08 19:36:12

So basically, you just stick 'em an empty bucket until you're ready to lob them into the machine? Sounds pretty easy! smile

BigBadMousey Tue 12-Aug-08 19:38:42

Yep that's about it grin. I wouldn't use nappy soaks with bamboo - it won't like it because the fibres are not as strong as cotton. Lovely and soft though....

suedonim Tue 12-Aug-08 19:48:52

Great, thanks for your answers! smile

ilovemydog Tue 12-Aug-08 19:49:49

noooooooo!!!!! not napisan!!!!

very harsh on baby's skin

Essie3 Tue 12-Aug-08 20:38:00

Some dry pailing tips from a slummy mummy!

If your bucket is a bit pongy - I mean during storing the dirty nappies in - then put a small piece of muslin with tea tree oil on it at the bottom.
But rinse the bucket when it's empty. And try not to get poo on the sides. grin

BigBadMousey Tue 12-Aug-08 21:40:28

Yes, who is it who suggested sticking a panty-liner to the lid with a few drops of lavender oil on it? It's a god tip - essential oils getting in direct contct with PUL wraps is not good because it degrades the PUL.

ToastAddict Wed 13-Aug-08 09:30:13

Yeah, but make sure whatever you stick to the lid is sticky! I decided to be oh-so-economical and clever and cut up my left-over (unused!!) maternity pads and stick pieces of these in the lid, with tea tree oil dripped on. Except somewhere through the day, it fell off, there was no way I was rummaging through all the nappies to find it, so it went into the washing machine with the nappies. I'm waiting for the machine to die now due to being clogged up with cotton wool.......
I use a piece of muslin now

LackaDAISYcal Wed 13-Aug-08 11:54:23

good tip about the panty liner, but I'm sorry about your clogged up washing machine toastaddict <tries not to laugh>

I have some sticky velcro pads......might use one of those to make it more likely to stay put!

suedonim Wed 13-Aug-08 12:34:08

I'm learning something new everyday - thanks again! smile

4andnotout Wed 13-Aug-08 17:59:02

i use the sanitary towels in my bin grin Well i keep getting pregnant so i dont have periods to use them wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now