Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Modern Baby Pop-in question - or any other similar nappy!

(17 Posts)
Essie3 Tue 12-Aug-08 17:23:57

How do they stay dry?
I've been using the old style (nappy + wrap) and I'm pretty happy with them, but I just bought a new pop-in to try, and, although I haven't tried it yet, I'm suspicious! How do they work??

LackaDAISYcal Tue 12-Aug-08 17:27:21

There is a laminated waterproof layer in the outer part of the nappy.

I've been using them on my DD and they are quite good. They are nice and slim and can go up to four hours, but I've had a few problems with wicking at the inside of her legs and not sure what I'm doing wrong as sometimes they are fine and others they wick.

Essie3 Tue 12-Aug-08 17:34:31

Oh, thanks - that's good to know.
I'm currently using the old style ones, and they're very good. Underrated, I think; there's hardly any reviews of them, and they don't seem to advertise widely etc.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 12-Aug-08 17:40:35

Let me know what you think of it, or if you have any wicking issues. I think perhaps the insert is bunching up too much between DD's legs. I did forget she was in a real nappy and not a dispo last week and it lasted over five hours before it leaked and only then because she was strapped into her car seat.

They are supposed to be birth to potty, but DD is only 14 months, and not chubby and I find it os a bit lean fitting on her. Chubby or long babies might not get full use out of them.

Essie3 Tue 12-Aug-08 19:26:31

Is the problem that you then get wetness on the inside leg? Is that what wicking means?

Useful point about the size too. The old style ones are a bit stingy IMO - my DS is smaller than average.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 12-Aug-08 21:19:13

that's it re wicking....I think the insert scrunching up doesn't help.

I'm looking forward to using them on my DS due in November though as they do look cute when poppered down small.

Essie3 Tue 19-Aug-08 17:57:03

I've had a go with the trial one, and I've had problems with wicking too - around the legs! However, I did speak to the company and it depends when they were bought: there were issues with some sold around March I think. You might want to contact them if that's you too.

Other than that they were lovely, so I'll buy me a newer one to double check before I splash out. They are dead cute!

LuLuBai Tue 26-Aug-08 13:08:41

Intrigued. I use the old style Modern Baby with DD (now nearly 17 months). Think they are brilliant. Went on to the company's website the other day and see they have completely changed their products.

Why so? Are these new pop-in ones really much better? Worth getting any for DC2? (due next year).

Any why have they done away with the gingham? I love it!

Essie3 Tue 26-Aug-08 21:39:16

No idea why they've changed - the old style work perfectly well! (You can get the old style ones in size 2 at a bargain price tho.)
I was going to get the next size, due to loving the old style, but have been persuaded that the new are good as well.
Bamboo is more sustainable than cotton, I think. Also a one-size birth to potty is better value.

But I also loved the gingham!

LuLuBai Wed 27-Aug-08 09:00:01

I did find that the more devout eco-mum&baby type shops didn't stock the old style Modern Baby on the basis that it was made of bleached cotton, so perhaps they were having trouble finding stockists... Not many people seem to have heard of the brand.

Essie3 Wed 27-Aug-08 14:17:33

I found that too - I just bought them from my local supplier who didn't have much choice in nappies, and I chose them for their prettyness blush.

Consignment of pop-ins arriving here tomorrow. This time's reasoning is 'how bad can they be'!

LuLuBai Wed 27-Aug-08 16:49:16

Yes, people do seem to be attracted to the 'prettyness' of the gingham prints. Even diehard disposable users find themselves admiring my nappies. Which makes it more surprising that they ditched it. Perhaps I should write to them....

Ah well - I'm planning to start potty training DD next week as I can't cope with the stench of washing nappies (morning sickness is making even pleasant scents intolerable at the moment). So hopefully no more nappies for a while anyway.

Essie3 Wed 27-Aug-08 17:47:06

Maybe you should - I might too, after I've trialled the new style. I'm tempted by its softness, but it needs to be as good or better than the old style!

Essie3 Wed 27-Aug-08 17:47:26

Sorry - write to them, I mean!

LuLuBai Wed 27-Aug-08 20:10:19

Yup.

I have heard that bamboo is a miracle fabric and brilliant for nappies, so I can understand them using that but I'm sure they could make it ginghamy somehoe.

LuLuBai Wed 27-Aug-08 20:10:23

Yup.

I have heard that bamboo is a miracle fabric and brilliant for nappies, so I can understand them using that but I'm sure they could make it ginghamy somehow.

LuLuBai Wed 27-Aug-08 20:10:40

Doh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now