Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

2.5 yrd old DD frightened of weeing in potty or toilet

(8 Posts)
RosaRosa Mon 11-Aug-08 20:26:01

Started training a couple of weeks ago when I saw signs, however she was frightened of weeing on the potty and the loo so decided to try again in a couple of weeks.

Have been 'nappy free' all day and not one accident, but she holds her wee for hours then becomes really distressed and dances round the room holding herself. She will sit on the potty but when she lets a bit go she jumps off. She pleads with me to put a nappy back on. Managed to get her to wee in small amounts but it was so distressing for both of us and I can't help but think it can't be the right thing to do.

Have tried rewards, dolls on potty, books, charts, cheering and jumping when she wees, you name it.

Anyone come across the same problem?

coffeechat Mon 11-Aug-08 21:48:21

I am going through exactly the same with my 3 yrd old DS. he gets so distressed it is really upsetting for us both. He will hold on to it for hours even though he is clearly desperate! I'm going to see the health visitor tomorrow so will let you know if I get any pearls of wisdom! Sorry I cant help - but at least you know you are not the only one!!

mawbroon Mon 11-Aug-08 22:07:08

My ds did this. He held on for three hours one time and let it all out almost before I got his nappy fastened back on. That showed that he had pretty good control, but for some reason didn't want to pee on the potty.

I left it for a few weeks, didn't mention the potty or anything pee/poop related at all.

Then he came to me wanting a new nappy after every time he did a pee, and then he pooped on the potty after announcing he was going to.

We started again at this point, and he cracked it in two days.

RosaRosa Tue 12-Aug-08 07:48:38

You have given me hope that it'll all work out . . !

She asked for her potty yesterday and did poo, I think without realising it, but weeing proved more traumatic for her.

Saw this on Contented Baby website, but you need to subscribe (£60) to find the solution, how frustrating!

http://www.contentedbaby.com/CaseStudies_potty-training.htm

onepieceoflollipop Tue 12-Aug-08 08:14:00

I have never tried this but have read that some children are more settled if you put a nappy in the actual potty. (eventually you move towards them sitting on the potty with no nappy inside it!) Might be worth having a little break again from it and then trying this?

hairtwiddler Tue 12-Aug-08 08:20:00

DD was like this, mostly terrified to let go on the loo. I made a big deal out of 'hearing the tinkle'. Let her listen when I went to the loo, and told her Daddy was listening for her tinkle outside the room when she was sitting on the loo. As soon as she realised it wasn't so bad, the fear was gone!
HTH. Happy tinkling!

ghosty Tue 12-Aug-08 08:23:55

I would put her back in nappies and wait until she is older. She clearly isn't ready.
Both my two 'showed signs' at 2.5 and we tried but I gave up after a couple of days of these sorts of shenanigans. Both of them were then dry and sorted in 24 hours a couple of weeks before their 3rd birthdays. Unless her nursery has said she needs to be potty trained, what's the rush?

slinkiemalinki Tue 12-Aug-08 16:09:57

Mine was scared at first - we coaxed and encouraged her, and praised her just for sitting, promised treats for hitting the target as it were - now she is proud as punch to do a wee or a poo and largely uses the big loo with a trainer seat. She is 2.3 . I disagree that your DD is not ready because she is a bit frightened - like all new things she just may need a bit of encouragement/persistence and you will crack it, maybe now, maybe later! I wouldn't give up yet but if you are still struggling after another few days then maybe give it a rest and try again later. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now