Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

not sure he gets it...

(7 Posts)
1down2togo Thu 07-Aug-08 16:25:55

bless him he's 26 mths and today is the first day. DS is happily running round with no bottoms on but won't entertain the potty.

Instead he has put the kitten in it twice, and also pinned him down trying to put a nappy on him.

I think i might be going about this the wrong way lol.

Shitehawk Thu 07-Aug-08 16:29:10

He's not ready.

He's very young, though.

Is he showing any signs at all of being ready, or are you trying to train him just because you think you should?

1down2togo Thu 07-Aug-08 16:44:17

tbh health visitor said watch for signs and i think he's showing signs but not sure. whenever we go past a toilet in town he holds himself, but i think that could be habit more than anything because he knows we go there to change him.

I don't think he knows when he needs to go, or even when he's gone because he never makes me aware he needs changing.

ive just ordered the gina ford potty training book so hopefully that will give me some ideas.

Seeline Thu 07-Aug-08 16:48:47

It doesn't sound as though he is ready. If he doesn't know when he needs to go, or when he's been it will be a bit of a struggle for you both. Boys often take longer than girls to get the idea. MyDS was 3.6 when he finally got it!

Shitehawk Thu 07-Aug-08 16:49:52

If he doesn't know when he needs to go then you're on a hiding to nothing. He needs to be able to recognise the sensation of needing a wee before you can expect him to use the potty to have a wee.

It actually sounds as if he doesn't know when he's already had one, which really would suggest to me that he's nowhere near ready. I'd cancel the Gina Ford book; if he's not ready then he's not ready, and no book in the world is going to make him ready!

Once he knows he's had a wee, he will then start to be aware when he needs one. That's the time to try.

Many children are closer to 3 than to 2 before they're ready to use the toilet. Don't let the HV or anyone else pressurise you into trying something he's just not ready for.

1down2togo Thu 07-Aug-08 17:00:47

thanks for that, my mum has been gently 'suggesting' that i potty train him (she's 69 and lives with us). have shown her your comments.
Will keep the book for when HE is ready grin

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Thu 07-Aug-08 18:02:54

needs to know has been
needs to know is going
needs to know needs to go

no point until then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now