Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

pre folds

(6 Posts)
rusmum Wed 06-Aug-08 21:39:47

cotton bottoms pre folds. not getting on with them with my newborn. Any advice??

Any interest in buyng as have bought birth to potty pack .

BigBadMousey Wed 06-Aug-08 21:54:23

Whats the problem?

rusmum Wed 06-Aug-08 22:00:45

they seem very cumbersome and look uncomfortable. Also was soaking wet in 5 mins. Is this normal??

BigBadMousey Wed 06-Aug-08 22:36:42

Hmmm..hard to say. What are you comparing them too?

With regards to the wetness you have to get used to the fact the nappy will feel wet to you (unlike a disposable which locks the wetness away from parents as well as the babies bottom). If you baby's bottom is dryish then there is nothing wrong. If you prefer to keep the bottom completely dry then use a fleece liner - that will do the trick until the nappy is totally saturated. Using a fleece liner in a cloth nappy will keep your baby's bottom drier than a disposable alone.

If your baby was uncomfortable I think (s)he'd let you know. Cloth nappies hold a newborns legs in the best position for hip development - it does look awkward to us I think but to babies it's not bad at all.

I'm assuming you are using the right size (sure you are) and that your baby is well into the weight range for that size. When they at at the bottom of the weight limit then they can look a bit more like you describe than usual.

Cotton Bottoms have a very low resale value compared to other cloth nappies atm because the market is saturated with cheap new sets.

To get an idea of the fit of cloth nappies on a newborn have a look at the photos on my profile (sorry there are loads - need to delete some). Have a look at the fluffle and sandy's - that is a good fit for a newborn. DS isn't restricted in those one bit.

hth

rusmum Thu 07-Aug-08 09:39:17

my problemmay be that i used disposables with dd1 and so far wirh new baby. using 1st size (7-10lb), Rose is 9lb 2 should i use bigger ones.?? they seen so bulky is this normal???

tutu100 Thu 07-Aug-08 09:52:43

They will look very bulky compared to a newborn disposible, but that isn't a problem for the baby.

Have you washed the prefolds several times before use. Their absorbancy increases with every wash also they tend to get softer the more you wash them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now