Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Sore bottom in two week old - what to use?

(25 Posts)
IlanaK Wed 06-Aug-08 17:41:12

This is my third baby so I have tried a few different things, but nothing is working. The problem is that he poos (breastfed) continually! I change him straight away, but I can literally have to change him 4 times in an hour when he goes for it.

His bottom is red and spotty sore. I have tried bepanthan as well as a Botty Balm. We use cotton wool and water when at home, but we are out and about a lot so using wipes. He is in disposables and we can't change to cloth (which we used with my other two) as we are temporarily living with my mum and she won't let us wash them in her machine.

Any ideas? He looks so sore.

lilymolly Wed 06-Aug-08 17:46:13

if he has spots with the rash it could be thrush and need anti fungal cream?

IlanaK Wed 06-Aug-08 17:48:42

thrush on his bottom? I thought that was a "front" problem. I am pretty sure it is just from the constant poo.

alittlebitshy Wed 06-Aug-08 17:49:06

No advice - but i thought this thread would be one of our "due in Aug" lot!! <waves> and hopes some advice is forthcoming cos I think I'll need to know soon as my ds is equally as poo-happy.

ajm200 Wed 06-Aug-08 17:49:17

Fold a few old towels on a plastic changing mat and give him some bare bottom time and change the brand of disposibles that you are using. Our son got a very sore bottom with pampers newborn nappies and was better in huggies.

If the rash is persistant, get the Dr to check it out in case it is infected or something else. They may also be able to give you something stronger that will clear it up.

Good luck, it's not the easiest times anyway so I hope you get this sorted out.

lilymolly Wed 06-Aug-08 17:52:20

my dd got thrush on her bottom last week- she was in agony!

if its just due to the poo, then you need a barrier cream which is oil based so that it protects the skin- something like metanium

Seona1973 Wed 06-Aug-08 18:03:18

a layer of metanium with a layer of sudocrem on the top worked for dd and ds when they had bad nappy rash

TheProvincialLady Wed 06-Aug-08 18:08:19

We used natural products on DS after all the chemical ones failed to do the job. We got Petroleum Free Jelly as a barrier and Nature Babies healing cream for the redness and it healed up very quickly. Stop using the wipes now - they still give DS nappy rash at 23m. Cotton wool is a pain but you could use pads soaked in water and stored in a plastic box for when you are out and about.

allergictohousework Wed 06-Aug-08 18:26:10

word of warning as my ds was allergic to metanium though others swear by it. made his skin raw and broken and only cleared up with something on prescription. not saying metanium wouldn't work just to note!

SazzlesA Wed 06-Aug-08 18:30:10

Message withdrawn

Nappyman Thu 07-Aug-08 22:37:24

HI just another thought, have you ever tried the Clearly Herbal Baby wipe as they are tremendous and do really help with bottom soreness, just a thought, and get baby out of those horrible pampers and huggies @-)

Lloyd

bookswapper Thu 07-Aug-08 22:42:08

metanium should do it,,,,it was the only thing that cleared my LO's rash

IlanaK Fri 08-Aug-08 17:38:25

Thanks everyone. Actually, he is in eco-disposables (nature baby mostly). I would love him in cloth, but just not doable as we are in my mum's flat.

The HV suggested something - clean his bottom with olive oil on cotton wool rather than just water as it is so drying. We have been doing this when possible at home. I alos found some extra sensitive naturebaby wipes at waitrose which we are using too. In addition, we have been smearing him in sudocream rather than bepanthan and that is also working. His bottom is clearing up a little now.

juuule Fri 08-Aug-08 19:09:08

I wouldn't use baby wipes on a 2wo. Not even the "sensitive" wipes.

Just water, cotton wool and maybe a bit of baby soap to remove any remaining creams.
Agree with smearing with olive oil.

juuule Fri 08-Aug-08 19:09:23

Vaseline is good too.

Flightputsonahat Fri 08-Aug-08 19:12:57

Egg whitwe is the business. Mine was so sore he bled at 2 weeks old blush

Not sure how it came to that

nothing worked at all except finally egg white.

bookswapper Fri 08-Aug-08 21:54:36

yes my ex-childminder recommended egg white as well...she used to be a nurse and that was what they used for bad nappy rash eons ago

nannynz Fri 08-Aug-08 21:59:01

Clean with water and cotton wool.

Smear on olive oil, then a layer off vasilene.

I usually use sudocream but the above works much faster and is good for when nothing else is working. Also letting him have fresh air should help.

Pannacotta Fri 08-Aug-08 22:13:11

Would aslo avoid wipes, as someone else says you can carry cotton wool pads soaked in water when you are out, think wipes are too harsh for a tiny baby.
I always found Weleda's Calendula nappy change cream excellent, as well as Neal's Yard Baby Barrier, both natural and chemical free, very soothing and great for healing sore bottoms, esp the Calendula cream.

AnnasBananas Sat 09-Aug-08 08:40:02

Don't use wipes on a baby less than six weeks, they are still developing skin layers and their skin is much thinner and more sensitive than an older baby. I know it's a pain esp when going out etc but only use water and cotton balls until you are over it. If the rash is firey red and or shiney and or white spots it may well be thrush and you will need an anti-fungal cream. I would recommend Metanium (use v sparingly!!) but the thing that will shift it the fastest is fresh air, as much as possible even if it means not going out for two or three days literally don't put a nappy on them except for sleep times. If you do this for 1-2 days you will see a very fast improvement on day 2-3. It really works. Once it's fixed you will probably have to keep on top of it by always using a good barrier cream even a basic zinc/castor oil one is fine - save the 'medicated' ones eg Sudocreme/Metanium/Bepathen for when the rash is present. Good luck!

AnnasBananas Sat 09-Aug-08 08:41:45

Sorry, just read your post again, you say it's a spotty rash, it will be thrush. Ask HV for anti-fungal cream to shift it.

Isitjustme2 Tue 12-Aug-08 13:50:55

I really find metanium is the best. Good luck. X

lauraloola Tue 12-Aug-08 18:10:04

Could it be the wipes you are using when you are out? My dd can only have the pampers sensitive wipes as the others seem to make her bottom sore. We put a very thin layer of sudocrem on her and it worked a treat.

lazyhen Mon 18-Aug-08 08:46:30

Sorry to but in but was interested about egg white. Do you just smear it on as it comes or whisk it up???

Thanks!

LittleDorrit Mon 18-Aug-08 14:00:39

I know this sounds really strange, but I started off using Nature nappies, but my DD got really bad nappy rash and nothing made it better - I then bought some Pampers (had run out of Nature and could only get Pampers) and overnight the rash was gone. So I would suggest trying different nappies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now