Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Advice on taking a newly potty trained 4 year old on a 9 hour flight

(8 Posts)
webwoman05 Fri 11-Feb-05 16:48:05

My son is 4 years old and has been potty trained for just over a month. Perfect with weeing in the potty but still poos in his pants although he has done one successful poo in the potty (never repeated!).

We are due to go on a 9 hour flight in the next 3 weeks and I am terrified of him peeing or pooing himself.

He refuses to use the loo so we will take our portable potty with us. Any experience of using the portable potty in a loo on a plane?

Any advice much appreciated. I am really against putting him in a nappy or pull ups for the journey in case he regresses. He has done so well with the wees so don't want to go backwards. He still wears a nappy at night though.

We have to go on holiday now because I am 4 months pregnant so it is our last chance to have a holiday before the new baby (had DS at 36 weeks so don't want to go away too much later just in case this one puts in an early appearance as well!).

Cheers.

sozie Fri 11-Feb-05 16:53:26

Don't have any real experience to give but perhaps try and sit close to the toilets and take a few pull ups with you in case he falls asleep or one of those care mats which he could sit on if you don't want to put pull ups on him. Have a lovely holiday

googoo Fri 11-Feb-05 19:34:33

well like sozie says, sit as close to the loo as possible, look out for 'poo faces' most kids make them , then whip him down to the loos,

depending on space you have, if its an emergency just get him to do it in the potty at your feet and then take the potty to the loo

for the flight you could take a buppy pad from www.buppy.co.uk buppy.co.uk

at least then you wouldnt have to worry about wet or yucky seats if he falls asleep

luv googoo

cupcakes Fri 11-Feb-05 19:40:30

I agree that you don't want to put him in a nappy for the flight. We had this last year and my dh was very pro-nappy for the flight. But I felt it was very important to show ds that we had faith in his toileting skills! Our flight was only 3 hours but we made it intact.
Even in 3 weeks you may really make some progress with the poos. Go all out with incentives for good loo use!
At worst see if you can get him to go before you board the plane!

Chandra Fri 11-Feb-05 19:41:56

I don't think there's enough space in the toilets for a portable potty (is hardly enough to stand inside once the door is clossed. It is a though work to travel with children already, going back to nappies for a few hours won't make him any harm and it would give you sooooo much less work.

Good luck!

Chandra Fri 11-Feb-05 19:44:05

III just thought of the long lines that some times form in long haul flights. I can hardly wait for my turn and I don't know who would get priiority if a child in a hurry or an old lady in the same circumstances...

foxinsocks Fri 11-Feb-05 19:48:50

we went on a 12 hour flight with dd just after she had potty trained so I have some sympathies!

Even though you probably don't have much space in your hand luggage, take lots of change of clothes. Dd managed to poo in her pants whilst waiting to board! I just threw away the pooey pants (luckily it was fairly solid) and put new ones on so dress ds in old clothes!

I would sit near loos but not too close. The sound of them flushing is quite loud and if you have any hope of ds sleeping you may not want to be that close. Also some children are frightened by the noise they make. Try and be a few rows from the back where most of the loos are - if you're on a 747 size plane (just check where they are when you board).

There is VERY little space for the potty at the foot of your seats (especially if the plane is packed and you're not on the bulkhead seat). So be prepared to whip out the potty and run for the back of the plane.

I would take some pull-ups just in case. You may find he's so excited about the plane that he forgets about the loo and once you're off the plane, he'll be back to normal. Good luck!

Mum2Ela Wed 16-Feb-05 20:45:31

You may want to take a coupleof nappies / pull ups 'just in case'. I am glad I did with DD because she weed on the toilet on the plane, but then wouldn't even set foot back in there after she had heard the flush! Good job I took a nappy with me or we would have had probs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now