Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How did you do it?

(10 Posts)
Newbarnsleygirl Fri 11-Feb-05 15:16:16

Would like to know how you potty trained?

Did you have a plan or did you just get on with it?

What made you decide to start and how old were your children?

Any other little tips will be appreciated.

TIA

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 11-Feb-05 15:32:52

Please tell me!

vala Fri 11-Feb-05 15:54:30

Hi Newbarnsleygirl, I am hopefully at the end of the process of potting training with my DS (2y7m).

Started by buying a potty when he was almost 2.
Showed him it with an excited tone and just allowed him to sit on it (bare bottomed).
As expected, he was on and off it like a yo-yo, but at least he got comfortable with it even if he didn’t do anything with it, which was the plan.

Then about a month and a half later he started telling me when he wanted to do a poo to which I responded by plonking him on the potty.
Clapped and praised and allowed him to flush it away when he produced his first. Never looked back since, but I do think that we have been exceptionally lucky with him.
The wee’s came later.
Nursery suggested he might be ready for pants just after Christmas. I went out and bought some and he’s been dry since with the exception of 4 accidents in total.
He totally LOVES his “big boy pants” and so far hasn’t made a fuss when I put him in a nappy for bedtime.
As I said, we have been really lucky with him. He seems to “get” things really easily especially when its something HE wants to do.

Go with the flow (no pun intended) and take your cue from him/her.

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 11-Feb-05 16:18:21

bump

Lonelymum Fri 11-Feb-05 16:22:49

Books tell you to wait until your child is ready but IME none of my children did indicate they were ready so I had to take the initiative. My children were quite old for a variety of reasons (between 2yrs 8 mths and 3 yrs) but they all "got it" within a week or so of starting. I just took off the nappy and made sure whatever room they were in, the potty was too! Bribery and rewards with chocolate worked wonders too! (The choccy thing did not become a habit.)

Kelly1978 Fri 11-Feb-05 16:38:11

I wud recommend the choc too. We used to have one sweet for a wee, and three for a poo, it really helped, as it made them very keen to actually produce soemthing rather than keep sitting there. pants were introduced after a bit of success - a big trip out to mothercare to choose big boys/girls pants as a reward for using toilet for a few days.

It also helped to keep them naked on bottom half, seemed to be far less accidents that way - pants or pull ups make them forget they dont have a nappy on, plus it's easier to get them on the toilet in a hurry.

I found it easier to train straight to the toilet, as they knew what the toilet was for, from seeing me/big sister, rather than introducing a potty.

Be prepared for 2/3 days stuck in watching them like a hawk, then it gets easier!

Good Luck!

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 11-Feb-05 16:48:42

Ah thank you!

DD is only 16 months and I have been thinking of trying it as she makes it quite known now when she fills her nappy.

I have had a potty in the living room and her bedroom for her to get used to and she tries to sit on it but TBH I think I'm pushing it at 16 months!

It's handy to know how other people did it though.

The plan I had involved no nappies, pottys, disinfectant and lot's of chocolate!

How did you go about night times as well?

Kelly1978 Fri 11-Feb-05 16:51:28

My dd started at 16 mnths, because she wanted to, but initially we only had poos on the toilet, and then wees came a bit later. I do think it is early.

I don't know about night time trainign as such, I just went cold turkey with both of them a few weeks after sucessful day training. dd has never wet the bed, ds has only twice.

Lonelymum Fri 11-Feb-05 17:36:47

I discovered, once they were trained during the day and their night time nappies came off the minute they woke up, that the night time nappies were simply dry every night. I just stopped using them and never once had a wet bed with all three (except many years later for emotional reasons). But then, mine were a lot older than other children undergoing potty training as I have already said.

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 11-Feb-05 17:48:19

I might have a go next week as dd is still getting over bad flu.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now